inTank Media Baskets

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

I cant wait to get started on this tank!!!

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up this 45g long 48"Lx18"Dx12"T.

2012-07-06170018.jpg

I have been reefing for many years now. I currently have a 5.5g and a 28g nano cube hqi which are both nice tanks but I want to everything right with this build. In the past I have skimped out on equipment so now its time to splurge :lol: Once my GF and I are done remodeling our new house I will build a stand and some kind of hanging canopy to house the led bulbs.

I want this tank to have an open concept, maybe 3 or 4 islands with a lot of sand real estate.

I will be transfering corals and one fish from my current tanks.

If you have any ideas on some fish let me know.

I will be filling this tank with Zoas, SPS, clams, and LPS. I have kept some SPS in the past but I want tem to be the main focus of this tank.

List of hardware so far:

>Deep Blue 45g long

>30"Lx14"Dx16"H acrylic sump.

>Mag 7 return.

>Reef Octopus 110 Skimmer.

>Bulk Reef Supply 75 gpd RO/DI.

>30lbs of Bulk Reef Supply Reef Saver dry rock.

>Jager heater.

>4 Boost LED PAR 30's-20k

>2 39watt T5's, one UVL Super Actinic and one Indigo Sun.

>Sand

>Salt

>Refractometer

>JBJ ATO

>150gal reef crystals salt

>koralia 1050

>misc. Plumbing supplies

Still need:

>Fuge light

STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Lee I can't wait to get started!!!

I saw the tank at my LFS and started drooling lol. And the best part is my GF bought it for me.

lol lucky man. No lie, i just called my LFS to see how much it would be to order one. :D

lol lucky man. No lie, i just called my LFS to see how much it would be to order one. :D

LOL it was 175 came with drain/return plumbing and overflow.

I just checked your thread out...looking very nice.

I don't think I have ever seen a 45L.

I can't wait to see it in action!!!

Thanks alot, I have never seen one either, I tried to google this tank and didnt find anything. Maybe the company went out of business?

LOL it was 175 came with drain/return plumbing and overflow.

I just checked your thread out...looking very nice.

Damn you got a good deal! My LFS said 250 drilled.

Thanks btw!

Those dimensions are pure sex. Glass cages has a 70 gallon that's like 48x24x12 I think which is awesome. 40B was the closest I could come to a shallow without ordering one.

Really excited for this build. B)

may i ask where you caught that snook in your avatar. it is a monster! i dont mind if you would prefer to keep the location a secret but i must know how much it weighed.

also get a yasha goby and pistol shrimp. :happy:

Lee

thats not too bad of a price. I got mine on sale I think the regular price was around $225.

Thanks Pismo

Joel,

That glass cages tank sounds awesome!!! The 40b is a great tank, I was going to get one until I came across this one. And by the way, your avatar is HILARIOUS

Thanks Wildman and Pablom :lol:

Cruz,

I should be finishing up the laminate floor right now instead of being on Nano Reef LOL!!!

Weeber,

I cought that snook at pier 60 on Clearwater beach. That may be one of the best places IMO to catch a snook over 40". The one in my avatar measured 47.5" and weighed 33lbs, she was a MONSTER!!!

Just went on the boat last night and the trout n reds were VERY hungry :)

You do any fishin?

I do want to get a goby/shrimp pair, thanks for the suggestion

Well i have to say Bulk Reef Supply is great at fast, free shipping, my 3 boxes will be here Wed. :lol:

I am planning on going with leds... Boost LED par30's, if anyone can chime in on these bulbs it would be great.

The tank is 4 feet long so I am planning on covering the overflow with a pile of rocks then making 3 more islands. I figure each bulb will light up its own rock island, which I think will look awesome. I am also going to make an acrylic box for some mangroves to place in the overflow compartment. Another idea I think will look good is to have a couple of rocks breaking the surface of the water.

For fish I will be trans. my B&W clowns and the Coral Beauty Angel.

For new fish I am open to suggestions, I was thinking:

>A couple of Green Chromis

>Yellow Wathcman Goby

>Bangaii Cardinal...maybe a couple and try to raise the fry?

>Maybe a sixline Wrasse

I know there are so many cool fish out there I just cant decide on what to go with so your suggestions are appreciated :o

SHRIMP:

I love keeping shrimp and other inverts and just havent done it in my most recent tanks. I am going to put a lot of focus in stocking this tank with cool shrimp.

I have to have a fire shrimp, 6-10 Sexies, and prob. a goby/pistol pair.

Oh I almost forgot, I WILL be getting a Bubble tip nem for the clowns!!!!

I am now pretty sure I am going with the 72 Aquastyle DIY LED kit. If I go this route I will order 2 of their large heatsinks which measure about 7"x16" and make two hanging pendants. Are 36 led's on a heatsink of this size too much? I figure these leds will provide way more coverage on my tank and cost way less than the 4 Boost bulbs, plus I will be able to adjust the color.

When I exchanged emails with their customer service guy (Ray), he told me that 36 on a heat sink would be fine. I wasn't convinced because it felt like since cheaper LEDs are less effective due to greater heat loss, the heatsinks wouldn't be able to work fast enough. If you got a really good fan on them I bet it would be okay.

When I exchanged emails with their customer service guy (Ray), he told me that 36 on a heat sink would be fine. I wasn't convinced because it felt like since cheaper LEDs are less effective due to greater heat loss, the heatsinks wouldn't be able to work fast enough. If you got a really good fan on them I bet it would be okay.

Thanks Joel,

I was thinking the same about a fan. Are you running these LED'S?

I was heavily considering it. But as much as I want to be good at DIY, I leveled with myself, realized my skills aren't up to par to do this right, and decided to buy two premade fixtures for my 40.

I bought two OCReef 60w Cree Fixtures and am really pleased with them.

I have nothing against aquastyles, my decision was based on my poor track record of DIY projects in the past. :lol:

I gotcha,

That is one nice looking fixture. I will most likely to go with the aquastyles to save some $$, I cant get enough DIY lol. Im thinking I should get this kit ordered soon just in case they run out or the price goes up. I prob. wont be setting up the tank for another couple months :angry:

Man, if you can DIY, more power to you! I would have loved to save some money but my light would have probably exploded or something and would have looked really ghetto. Either way you go, LEDs are awesome. I've played with one of the fixtures over my 20 and I was blown away, I'm sure a well built aquastyle light will be just as good. :happy:

Why the delay in putting the tank together?

Still need to get:

>4 Boost LED PAR 30's-20k

I just bought 2 of them for my 29 and its 30" long and i need a 3rd for good coverage everywhere 2 looks good but a 3rd would be the shiz so if were you id get 6 IMO and you would be set

But nice looking so far

Joel,

I am more into the construction of things lol, my Dad will def. help me wire up the fixtures.

We just bought a house and completely gutted it, ripped walls out, raised the drop cielings ect...im almost done laying the wood floors thank god. Now just waiting on the tile guy to lay the travertine then on the the cabinets lol. A TON of work but worth it.

Vash,

I have decided not to go with the pars because I have found the Aquastyle LED DIY kits (better coverage and even better price :) ). Thanks for your input/compliment, I was worried about the coverage of the PAR bulbs.

Joel,

I am more into the construction of things lol, my Dad will def. help me wire up the fixtures.

We just bought a house and completely gutted it, ripped walls out, raised the drop cielings ect...im almost done laying the wood floors thank god. Now just waiting on the tile guy to lay the travertine then on the the cabinets lol. A TON of work but worth it.

Haha well that sounds like you won't have any problems. I'm the kind of guy that's had to fix his AC110 mod 3 times already so you can see why trusting a professional is a much better choice. :lol:

Archived