Pod Your Reef

In the beginning............And then there was life......

gupebreedr

I've not posted any updates or pictures lately so I thought it's time I had better do so.

Here's Ernie, short for Ernestine. Ernie has the funky mis-shaped bar. Boy, they both have grown since I got them. They both eat like pigs.

DSCN0787.jpg

Burt is being a little camera shy.

DSCN0788.jpg

My Gorgonian is now settled in and looks pretty good. One of my Maxi/mini's in the lower left corner.

DSCN0789.jpg

Another Gorg. shot with out the flash. I feed every other day with some marine snow and Rod's frozen food.

DSCN0790.jpg

And a FTS. Note eggs on the back glass. Gee, the scratches are sure visible in this shot. :angry:

DSCN0792.jpg

My green clown goby was not wanting to make an appearance today but he's doing well. He too eats like a pig.

One of my boost fixtures crapped out but I spoke to John at BoostLED and I've got another one on the way. Thumbs up to John. He's the best.

That's about all to report. Will post again in a few days.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caught this snail in the act this morning. Was wondering who was leaving all these eggs around my tank.... I know it's not the greatest shot......

DSCN0795.jpg

Cool shot B)

You told me to keep you posted on the ato, here's your post: it's awesome and really helps cut down on my day to day maintenance. :)

Cool shot B)

You told me to keep you posted on the ato, here's your post: it's awesome and really helps cut down on my day to day maintenance. :)

Joel,

Thanks for the update on your ATO. I guess that will be added to my wishlist for Xmas. LOL

Awesome tank set-up man. I like the Frog Spawn I was thinking of getting some myself. I recently had a clown jump ship so I'm looking to replace him soon so my other clown has a buddy. The Green Clown Goby is cool too huh? The LFS didn't know they had one because he never came out but once I got him in my tank and he calmed down he comes out all the time now.

Awesome tank set-up man. I like the Frog Spawn I was thinking of getting some myself. I recently had a clown jump ship so I'm looking to replace him soon so my other clown has a buddy. The Green Clown Goby is cool too huh? The LFS didn't know they had one because he never came out but once I got him in my tank and he calmed down he comes out all the time now.

Thanks Joe, Sorry to hear about your clown. :o That is one of my fears since I'm going topless. Gizmo the Goby makes his appearances when it's feeding time, but other then that I hardly see him.

My froggie is one of my favorites right next to my maxi/mini's. I'm please that the clowns are hosting it but I'm not too sure that froggie likes it all that much.

Yesterday I added a Skunk Cleaner shrimp and a small Toadstool Leather. I'll post pic's of those when they all settle in and start being "happy campers".

I'm pretty excited about an order I working on with Newman. He's got some sweet paly's and zoas and some grape Monti Cap that I'm really stoked about getting. I should be getting that right after Thanksgiving. I'll be sure to post that too when I get it.

2 new pics to add to the collection. Everybody appears to be happy after the water change,cleaning and new additions.

Yesterday I added a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a small Toadstool Leather. The shrimp is still in hiding so no pichars of him but I thought I'd share a shot of my Toadstool and a FTS.

Toadstool, Hydnophora and my orange maxi/mini.

DSCN0796.jpg

FTS, I cut off half my red Monti. Sorry!!! He's doing well and I've notice some growth since I first got him.

DSCN0802.jpg

Sweet pics, also thanks for naming your hynophora coral. I've had a frag of it for 6 months and could never get an answer as to what it was. Wait til the polyps fully extend he will look like a furball, very cool coral indeed.

Sweet pics, also thanks for naming your hynophora coral. I've had a frag of it for 6 months and could never get an answer as to what it was. Wait til the polyps fully extend he will look like a furball, very cool coral indeed.

Thanks Mr.Nano. :) Yeah that Hydnophora looked really sweet at the shop, all fluffy just like furball. He's yet to look like that it my tank. Not sure if I have him in an ideal location. I'll give a few more days and see about moving him I don't see him looking any better.

Today I popped over to my favorite LFS to gather up some info on my (hopeful) new tank and I spotted this guy. Since he was green and lookin' mighty sweet and sexy I decided to make him a part of my nano world. :P

DSCN0805.jpg

I'm hoping my clowns will find it and leave my froggie alone.

I also managed to move my Watermelon maxi/mini out of his hiding place. Actually he blew around the back side of the tank and took hold before I could place him where I wanted him. So now he's out in the open and looking sweet. He was kind looking a bit sad and shriveled in the shaded backside. B)

DSCN0806.jpg

A few observations:

My new GBTA decided he didn't like the location I placed him and has migrated to the top and behind of one of my large pieces of LR, bummer, a bit more difficult to see him. Thought maybe my clown would find him but they are still interested in my frogspawn.

It looks like my Duncan is getting ready to add a new head. I've notice a small pimple like growth on the front. Keeping fingers crossed.

I've not really noticed any new growths on any of my zoas. My Yuma looks like he's finally settled in. He's opened up and looking pretty good, he stayed pretty shrived for the longest time.

Bert and Ernie are doing well and growing. Gizmo the Goby is also doing well. I'm seeing more of him.

My skunk Cleaner shrimp is starting to venture out a bit. I never saw him for the first 4 or 5 days after I purchased him. He pops out mostly at feeding time.

The only problem I'm currently having is a patch of red cyano that I'm battling with. I'm blowing it off and sucking it out daily with my trusty turkey baster.

I'll post some new FTS shots in the next few days, I've been a bit lax with cleaning the front glass.

Oh noes, I had my first Tile Tackler aka Carpet Surfer. :tears: My little Green Clown Goby decided to hit the floor. That really bums me out since he was finally spending more time out of hiding.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I know it's been a very long time since I've updated my thread, with the holidays and all I've been pretty busy. So here goes.

I was battling a pretty bad case of Cyano over the holidays and nothing I did helped. I decided to go the chemical route and used Chemi-Clean and boy did that stuff work, my tank never looked better. I've added a few more small Zoa colonies, a Pocillopora and a beautiful piece of Dragons Breath macro algae. I've never been really keen on macro's but when I saw this Dragons Breath I just had to have it.

DSCN0830.jpg

Here's a quick shot of my Colt coral. It's more then tripled it size since I added it. Behind the Colt is my Maxi Mini. It's become quit large as well.

DSCN0828.jpg

I am also happy to report that my Duncans Head has three new buds on the front that I can see. It may have more on the back that I can not see. Will post pictures of it as soon as the buds become a bit more pronounced.

Bert and Ernie are doing well and have grown quite a bit too, although they do not spend as much time together as the use to and I've noticed a few minor spats but nothing too serious.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my tank. It's doing so much better then I could have hoped for. I'm on vacation next week so I hope to add some additional shots of my underwater world.

Looks great, Rob! Glad to see everything going well and you solved your cyano problem. :)

Thanks Joel. I'm telling ya, that Cyano was truly a PITA. I tried starving the tank, blackouts, sucking it out with WC's and nothing helped, it just kept advancing and covered almost a third of the tank. Within 12 hours of using the Chemi-Clean I could tell a difference in the color of the Cyano and within 48 hours it was completely gone. I would certainly recommend it to anyone having a Cyano problems.

Thanks for the great info on the question I asked in my post... which led me here and I have to say that you're nano tank is really nice! Hopefully I can get to that point soon with my 20g.

Guppy, for my cyno, I added a beefed up CUC from reefcleaners, starved it of light, and also added chaeto to use up nutrients in the water. RBTA looks great.

Thanks Kat, I had my CUC from John at Reef Cleaners plus a few extra hermies. I blacked out the tank and withheld food too. When it first started I was able to almost keep it check by sucking it out during water changes and my turkey baster but it finally got a good hold over the holidays and it really took over the tank. The Chemi-clean really did the job on it and I must say the tank never looked better. I would not hesitate to use it again if I have the same problem.

It's been a while since I've really updated this thread so now is as good of a time as ever.

All in all, my tank is doing fantastic by far better then I could have hoped for. Everything is thriving and IMO doing well. I'm still doing my weekly water changes ( 12%) and in addition I'm adding Iodine, Strontium, Molybdenum and Calcium ( 1 drop of each )daily. My feeding schedule is as follows, Prime Reef flakes 2 X daily, Live BBS 3 X weekly, ZooMax 2 drops daily, Marine Snow, ChromaPlex and MicroVert 2 X weekly, Frozen Mysis 2 X weekly. I don't know if this feeding schedule is extreme but it seems to work and all my water parameters are inline. I am getting a nice growth of coralline algae.

On a sad note, I did loose my GBTA which I think may have caused my Cyano outbreak over the holidays.

Here's a few pics of my tank the way it currently looks.

FTS

DSCN0862.jpg

Left Side Tank Shot The Gorgonian is getting way to big and will be removed and added to my big tank.

DSCN0863.jpg

Duncans Note the new buds. Shot is a bit fuzzy.

DSCN0847.jpg

New Kenya Tree Frag Added this yesterday, it came with 2 mushies attached.

DSCN0849.jpg

Dragons Breath Macro & Pocillopora Note the red macro to the right. It just popped up, I did not place it there.

DSCN0850.jpg

Hydnophora Looks a bit bleached in this shot but it's not.

DSCN0851.jpg

Brown Yuma He's getting big, almost 3 inches now.

DSCN0852.jpg

Orange Zoa's added last week.

DSCN0853.jpg

Pepe the Cleaner Shrimp

DSCN0856.jpg

Bert & Ernie

DSCN0857.jpg

Orange Maxi Nem He's huge.

DSCN0858.jpg

Second Maxi and Pulsing Xenia

DSCN0859.jpg

Frogspawn He may have to go in the big tank too.

DSCN0860.jpg

So there it is. Comments, good and bad gladly accepted.

look at that tank! love that macro. Pepe looks cute.

Thanks Kat.

I'm really starting to get into Macros. I think that Dragons Breath really makes things pop in my tank. I'm going to start adding other types as well. Any suggestion?????

Archived