Top Shelf Aquatics

In the beginning............And then there was life......

gupebreedr

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update and a couple comments:

Not a heck of a lot to report today. Tank is doing well, all tests come in good and my green slime algae is fading away. I received my CUC from Reefcleaners and they are really helping a great deal. You know it's funny, the tank can be totally lifeless accept for the clowns but when I throw food in, the snails magically appear... It's almost like the night of the living dead. LOL It seems like the pop out of no where.

I ordered 2 PAR30 bulbs from BoostLED and they have been shipped. I'm really hoping they arrive tomorrow.

My clowns have totally jumped in the Frogspawn now and it's not bothered at all by them hosting it. They rarely leave it except to eat. I forgot how cute and comical clownfish can be. I've seen no aggression from either of them so I guess they may have paired even tho they are still very young.

Hoping to add another piece or two of coral this week. Not too sure of what they'll be, guess it depends on what looks good.

My next update will be after I get my LED's up and running, hopefully with pic's.

Rob

Hey there just a quick question for ya about your fuge light that you have on your AC70. I was just wondering where you got it and what brand it is; I can't tell what brand it is from your picture. I'm sorry if this got answered earlier but I can not find it anywhere in your thread. Thanks for your help. Also thanks for the wal-mart pico idea. You got me interested so I bought one!

Hey there just a quick question for ya about your fuge light that you have on your AC70. I was just wondering where you got it and what brand it is; I can't tell what brand it is from your picture. I'm sorry if this got answered earlier but I can not find it anywhere in your thread. Thanks for your help. Also thanks for the wal-mart pico idea. You got me interested so I bought one!

Tony

It's a Dymax robot fixture from Big Al's. Here's the link for it. Dymax LED Light

You are most welcome, glad you were able to get the Walmart Pico tank kit. Please keep us posted on what you do with it. I'm most likely going to order a second kit but wanted to wait so others can get one.

Woo hoo, my BoostLED lights arrived today and I have them installed. :happydance::happydance::happydance: Wow, what a difference. Coral colors exploded to life. I even saw critters I've never seen before. I'm pleased I ordered two units as one would certainly not be enough. I'll have to play around with them in order to get the proper distance. Any suggestions??? I am using a glass canopy....

Mt chaeto has gone crazy, note the ball of in on the right side. I've already harvested a similar size clump and passed it on to a friend. My green slime algae is all but gone. IMO, things are looking pretty good.

Here's a few shots of the tank and lights.

DSCN0715.jpg

DSCN07161.jpg

Hopefully I'll be adding some additional coral tomorrow.

I love the live rock, it's awesome! Looking good !

Thanks much. I like the live rock as well but it's very vertical so I'm finding it difficult to attach corals to it, but I'll figure it out. LOL

Sweet lights! :happydance:

If you go higher up you'll sacrifice PAR but eliminate the spotlighting and still keep a nice shimmer :)

Lose the glass, go screen or open

If you go higher up you'll sacrifice PAR but eliminate the spotlighting and still keep a nice shimmer :)

Thanks Joel,

I know what you are saying about going topless but I'm so concerned about evaporation and stability. Living here in central Florida means running the AC about 10 months out of the year and it really sucks up the moisture. In my 55G FW tank I'm currently topping it off with 5 gallons a week with no glass. In the 10 SW I'm adding about 8 ounces a day with the glass. I guess I could try it topless and see how it goes. Any idea how much you are topping off a day with your system????

No guessing, exactly a half gallon. B)

Having a glass top is almost like having surface film, especially when it gets all salty. It really inhibits light penetration. I think my tank looks 100x better topless.

I run a dehumidifier in the man cave too so I understand the moisture sucking haha.

Okay Joel, I took your advice and lost the glass. I'll see how that goes for a week or so. I may cut a piece of egg crate to cover the tank as I'm getting tired of these darn snails crawling all over my desk. I had one this morning getting ready to add his own post to NR. LOL

Added some additional corals this week which include pulsing xenia, another small frag of some purple zoas, at least it was purple at the shop. I also planted a piece of Macro algae that I got with my CUC. I'll post a few updated pics later. Just completed a water change and maintenance so the tank is a bit cloudy. Oh, and I repositioned my LED gooseneck to each side of the tank so I could add an addition HOB filter. I had removed the second filter but found there was too much floating particulates with out, the snails are the cause. Bloody snails!!!!!!!! :angry:

I've been eyeing a piece of Red Monti cap at my LFS but was hesitant on buying it because of my previous lighting. Given I have my new BOOST LED's do you think I'm ready for it or is my tank still too new???? Lastly, I really like CB shrimp, I'm not seeing too many posts about them here on NR, you think it's okay to add it to my tank?

Rob

Rob, that tank is sexy man. I'm really liking the boostLED lights, if I had the money...if I only had the money...

I know what you mean about the "snails" coming ot life. my son swears my nassarius snails are actually zombie snails that come out of the ground when food is present...

Rob, that tank is sexy man. I'm really liking the boostLED lights, if I had the money...if I only had the money...

I know what you mean about the "snails" coming ot life. my son swears my nassarius snails are actually zombie snails that come out of the ground when food is present...

Thanks DI, They are zombie snails, I swear. You won't see any until food hits the tank and then they rise from the dead. It's actually quite fun to watch them. :D

Egg crate would work. What I'm doing for my 40 is looking into clear bird netting for outdoor ponds.

What have your params been lately? If everything is settled your lights will more than cover a monti cap.

CBS would be fine but you're going to have to factor them into your final bioload since they are pretty big. But other than that you are fine. B)

Needs pichars!

Egg crate would work. What I'm doing for my 40 is looking into clear bird netting for outdoor ponds.

What have your params been lately? If everything is settled your lights will more than cover a monti cap.

CBS would be fine but you're going to have to factor them into your final bioload since they are pretty big. But other than that you are fine. B)

Needs pichars!

Param's have been fine with just a slight elevation of trates nothing that WC's will keep in check. I'm heading over to the LFS and see if they still have that monti. I'm kinda stoked about getting it.. It should be mounted a bit higher in the tank, correct??????

The reason I want the CBS is the fact that it is a bit larger and I'll have some type of activity in the tank. From my past experience with CBS they don't hide all that much. I don't see that much of the baby clowns since they decided to host in the frogspawn. They hardly leave it except to eat. I'm surprised how well they are doing, I've not see any aggression at all from them.

I'll try and get pic's up later today if I can, if not for sure tomorrow. I promise.

As always, thanks for your help. :bowdown:

Rob

Following! Looks great1

Many thanks Nick. I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll get some new pics up soon.

New additions and new pics. And I think I might have figured out how to take better pictures, finally.

So I march over to get my Red Monti cap and it's still in the store, yeah. I also added a small red mushie, didn't have any shrooms yet. Now, here's were I'll get my hands slapped, I also bought a brown gorgonian. Hey, at least I believe it's a variety that is a bit more adaptable to captive life. I'll post pictures of it when it expands.

I didn't get my CBS. LFS was out of stock on the common variety and only had pairs of goldens. I may opt at a later date to get a cleaner shrimp instead.

A baby starfish, not sure if it is the same oneI found when I first started my tank. Picture taken before I figured out better exposures for my camera.

DSCN0719.jpg

Here's a pretty decent shot of my new Red Monti Cap. It's much bigger then what it appears. About 2.5 inches across and just short on an inch tall. Note baby star fish too.

DSCN0720.jpg

My GSP and Pulsing Xenia.

DSCN0722.jpg

Some of my previous Zoa's. Sorry, not a great shot.

DSCN0723.jpg

And I can't forget Bert and Ernie, my two baby clowns.

DSCN0725.jpg

More of Bert and Ernie.....

DSCN0724.jpg

Lastly, I full tank view. The new Gorgonain on the left.

DSCN0721.jpg

So there ya go, a few promised updated pics. Enjoy.....

Wow, the last pic in the line up is amazing... the purplish glow from that new light is slick!

I am very envious that your clownfish are hosting your froggy. I gave my pair a huge 3 head torch and they completely ignore it... /sigh

I think the position of the monti-cap is great. I wanna watch it creep up the back left side of that rock up towards the trumpets. Should make a "tier" like structure if it goes that direction.

Great update Rob

Looking really nice! Is the gorg PS or NPS? Before I knew any better I bought an NPS for one of the tanks, which I figured would be super hard to keep ... but it's actually showing growth and doing well, primarily with broadcast phyto and cyclopeeze.

Wow, the last pic in the line up is amazing... the purplish glow from that new light is slick!

I am very envious that your clownfish are hosting your froggy. I gave my pair a huge 3 head torch and they completely ignore it... /sigh

I think the position of the monti-cap is great. I wanna watch it creep up the back left side of that rock up towards the trumpets. Should make a "tier" like structure if it goes that direction.

Great update Rob

Thanks Woogs, I appreciate your comments. The clowns started hosting the froggy late on the second day after I added them. Honestly, I don't think they have ever ventured to the far end of the tank yet. They only ever leave it when they think their going to get fed. . I was pretty happy about but I'm not all the sure the froggy is.

I've been wanting that piece of Monti ever since I first saw it but was afraid to buy it with the past lighting I had. Now that I have the PAR30's I feel comfortable that it should have plenty of light and room to grow. I've been holding that specific site just for it...

Thanks again,

Rob

Looking really nice! Is the gorg PS or NPS? Before I knew any better I bought an NPS for one of the tanks, which I figured would be super hard to keep ... but it's actually showing growth and doing well, primarily with broadcast phyto and cyclopeeze.

Thanks much. I'm not too sure about the gorg I'm hoping that once it completely opens up I'll be able to post some pics and with ya'lls help maybe we can give it a positive ID. I've been look through my" Corals" book from Eric Borneman trying to ID it. The guy at LFS where I bought it (he's a friend and we bowl together) said he has the same type but could not remember the name. He said he feeds his Cylopeeze, phyto and marine snow. He claims he's had his over a year and it's doing well. Will see, I'll try to post pictures of it tomorrow.

Tonight at bowling, my friend that also works at my favorite LFS gifted me with a bag of goodies. Within the bag was a Yuma (my first) and small piece of colt and small piece of misc zoas. The zoas went in the Walmart pico and zuma and colt went into this setup. It's a bit late to get pics but hopefully tomorrow along with the new gorgonian.

Another first for me. I super glued my first frag, my new colt onto a piece of rubble.

Had to laugh when we talk about the Yuma, he said stand back this could get big. I chuckled and responded, "yeah that's what she said." :) :) :)

Check back tomorrow for pics.

Archived