Cultivated Reef

Mbartons Rimless 10 gallon Planted tank!

mbarton2010

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha!

What are you planning do do with that DW? covering it in some plants? I'm having a hard time seeing how it can fit into a scape, but lets see what you do with it :)

pismo_reefer
I'm having a hard time seeing how it can fit into a scape, but lets see what you do with it :)

Okay.... now, you're either hating, or lack vision. ;)

Okay.... now, you're either hating, or lack vision. ;)

thats what im thinking :P

what can i get to make my water crystal clear?

2 different micron levels of media, stacked in a filter....

...and water changes.

figured lol

this is what im ordering from a guy on TPT

2x Fontanus Ball - $8.00

2x X-Mas Ball - $5.00

1x Pellia - $5.00

1x Subwassertang - $4.50

1x Wavy Java Fern - $5.00

2x Parviflorious Swords - $4.00

1x Wad of stems - $6.00

i'm trying not to hate on tha DW, but having failed with one of those in the past makes me bitter about seeing them in tanks. i also never see them in planted tanks...not even professional ones. mopani wood might come in other textures than that one, so other types might be used more frequently.

anyway prove me wrong about how good that wood can look in your scape.

sounds like youre about to have fun with plants lol.

i'm trying not to hate on tha DW, but having failed with one of those in the past makes me bitter about seeing them in tanks. i also never see them in planted tanks...not even professional ones. mopani wood might come in other textures than that one, so other types might be used more frequently.

anyway prove me wrong about how good that wood can look in your scape.

sounds like youre about to have fun with plants lol.

i am going to try to get some manzanita wood also. a small branchy one for the other side

What did you do and use to get the rim off of the tank?

just ran a razor under both sides of the rim and cut the corners and pulled it off lol. still trying to get all the silicon off

when you get to the cycling phase (assuming you want to keep shrimp and/or fish here), use pure ammonia to cycle your tank. very easy, and it gets you into the habit of testing your tank and exercises your patience (you need just as much patience in planted setups as you do for growing coral)

when you get to the cycling phase (assuming you want to keep shrimp and/or fish here), use pure ammonia to cycle your tank. very easy, and it gets you into the habit of testing your tank and exercises your patience (you need just as much patience in planted setups as you do for growing coral)

will do.

i really dont like the big spray bar and the big intake lol ill have to mod it :mellow:

i like the white canister. i have a black one and i can see that white looks way better :lol:

are you interested in setting up a background for that tank? if so i can link you to a tank build that has some nice backgound lighting effects. the background looks really nice. (you basically put a long light shining onto your backdrop from the bottom. lighter effect on the bottom and darker color on top. looks good on planted setups, plus it will hide your tubes/cords. downside is that it will require a cord for the light.)

i like the white canister. i have a black one and i can see that white looks way better :lol:

are you interested in setting up a background for that tank? if so i can link you to a tank build that has some nice backgound lighting effects. the background looks really nice. (you basically put a long light shining onto your backdrop from the bottom. lighter effect on the bottom and darker color on top. looks good on planted setups, plus it will hide your tubes/cords. downside is that it will require a cord for the light.)

link me up lol

i might just get some black background from pestmart

Just wanted to mention that bolivian rams are pretty chill. They only mess with each other, never with my dojos or clown pleco or tetras. They used to peck at each other's lips once in a while, but they stopped a few weeks after I got them - they get along just fine now. They're really fun to feed - they come up to the surface while I'm swirling their frozen block of food in a jar above the tank.

One LFS here (Jojo Aquarium - pismo_reefer might be familiar with them) keeps electric blue rams in their planted tanks. If I go there this weekend I can snap a pic. I had a couple electric blue rams, but they both died VERY suddenly with NO warning. They were totally energetic and eating happily. One died in 2 days, other in 2 weeks. I know they're harder to keep than bolivian rams, but this totally shocked me. I wish I knew why they died. The rest of the tank is perfectly healthy.

DSC_7504.JPG

Archived