inTank Media Baskets

Mbartons Rimless 10 gallon Planted tank!

mbarton2010

IMG_0190.jpg

Tank: 10g standard de-rimmed

Light: Archaea 36W PC http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=452

Substrate: Aqua Soil- New Amazonia Multi-type http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=266

Filter: Aquatop CF-300 canister.

Flora:

Dwarf Hairgrass Eleocharis parvula

Bacopa Bacopa caroliniana

Fontanus

christmas moss

Pellia

Subwassertang

Java Fern

Parv. Swords

elodea

Fauna:

8 glowlight Tetra

1otocinclus

30+/- Red Cherry Shrimp

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the tetras get on okay with the rams? I heard rams are quite aggressive unless kept in large groups, so only two of them I would be worried they would bully the crap out of the little tetras.

I'd get 6 Otocinclus sp. They are schooling fishes and should really be kept in groups only. Their true behaviour just doesn't get to show when not in group. And maybe 10 cardinals..

+1 for more otos and cardinals. drop the rams (or sell them if you already bought them). they will not do good in a 10 gallon, especially a newly setup one.

+1 for more otos and cardinals. drop the rams (or sell them if you already bought them). they will not do good in a 10 gallon, especially a newly setup one.

alrighty. i havent bought anything yet. ill get 5 otos and 10 tetras then.

what kind of substrate you goin with? ive been wanting to try the fancy japanese stuff (ADA) but no stores here carry it and im too lazy to order.

how do you plan to plant? the usual?

personally, i dont mix rivers (fish) but there isnt a rule that says you cant.

im about to order the ADA aqua soil Amazonia multi-type. and also Archaea 36W power compact light for a 10g. i mart dry start(need to do some more reading. i also am getting a replacement order from reefcleaners! i guess ill give it away to the LFS

you're going to pay $50 to ship livestock you can get from any LFS/petco?

no lol, that was just a list. i was looking at all the diff type of fish on liveaquaria

you're going to pay $50 to ship livestock you can get from any LFS/petco?

50% of the livestock I get from petco dies within days....so I kinda gave up on them. But agreed if you have a solid LFS somewhere they'd definitely have the livestock you just listed.

Don't forget the driftwood and mosses!!

IMO "nature aquariums" are significantly cooler than reef tanks...but, the female really likes coral...

Grab some Amano shrimp or other Caradina/neocaradina algea eating shrimp.

"cherry shrimp" or "crystal red shrimp" will add that ever missing red colour to your aquarium and they both readily reproduce and eat algae!! They are about the size of sexy shrimp.

Have you seen "galaxy rasboras" they're freaking awesome.

5 sparkilng Gouramis

5 neon tetras

3 Otos

how does this sound?

Don't forget the driftwood and mosses!!

IMO "nature aquariums" are significantly cooler than reef tanks...but, the female really likes coral...

Grab some Amano shrimp or other Caradina/neocaradina algea eating shrimp.

"cherry shrimp" or "crystal red shrimp" will add that ever missing red colour to your aquarium and they both readily reproduce and eat algae!! They are about the size of sexy shrimp.

Have you seen "galaxy rasboras" they're freaking awesome.

the celestial pearl danios ? yeah i want some but i dont want to have to order them

kriskristofferzen
5 sparkilng Gouramis

5 neon tetras

3 Otos

how does this sound?

the celestial pearl danios ? yeah i want some but i dont want to have to order them

check out msjinkzd's website, some cool inverts and fish. i have had multiple orders from her....very good service, good fish quality, i think she does some breeding too....my last fish in my planted iwagumi setup were these....nice schooling fish....and tiny, might make the perspective of your tank larger....

http://www.msjinkzd.com/shop/products/Bora...rasbora%22.html

A pair of rams would be perfect in a 10gallon planted tank, I've bred them many times in that size aquarium, however, you would have to skip the tetras. Either way, neither fish will do well in a newly set up aquarium, if you can get them, "glow light danios" not "glo-fish"(even though glo-fish are amazing genetically engineered pieces of awesome.) are amazing fish to cycle with and if you like orange and the general body shape of trouts, they are one of the prettiest fish you can get, the pattern on their sides fluoresces under power compact or greater lighting, and pleasantly active.

A pair of rams would be perfect in a 10gallon planted tank, I've bred them many times in that size aquarium, however, you would have to skip the tetras. Either way, neither fish will do well in a newly set up aquarium, if you can get them, "glow light danios" not "glo-fish"(even though glo-fish are amazing genetically engineered pieces of awesome.) are amazing fish to cycle with and if you like orange and the general body shape of trouts, they are one of the prettiest fish you can get, the pattern on their sides fluoresces under power compact or greater lighting, and pleasantly active.

i might set up two tanks lol. i have a 55g tank that is FW now, but its at my parents house with a few bluegills in it. might fix it up for them

try the AQ Advisor program to figure out the basics of your tank stocking.

rams will only work in the 10 gal if your ten gal is mature (run it as planted with otos for a few months) and if you dedicate the tank to the rams. a pair of rams, no more.

I don't advise you cycle with any sort of animal. in FW, ammonia cycling is a very simple and effective method, but of course it requires water testing just like SW tanks to find out just the right moment to add your fish.

your stock list sounds like a well stocked tank. stock it slowly and make sure you have lots of plants going strong before you add all of the fish and finish that stocking, because its probably going to get heavy.

try the AQ Advisor program to figure out the basics of your tank stocking.

rams will only work in the 10 gal if your ten gal is mature (run it as planted with otos for a few months) and if you dedicate the tank to the rams. a pair of rams, no more.

I don't advise you cycle with any sort of animal. in FW, ammonia cycling is a very simple and effective method, but of course it requires water testing just like SW tanks to find out just the right moment to add your fish.

your stock list sounds like a well stocked tank. stock it slowly and make sure you have lots of plants going strong before you add all of the fish and finish that stocking, because its probably going to get heavy.

i didnt plan on adding it all at once. i have an established 55g i can get some mulm from also

CO2 ill be using

You will need:

1x 2liter Soda Bottle, emptied

1cup Sugar

1tsp Yeast

1tsp Baking Powder

Fresh Warm Water (not from the aquarium)

CO2 Proof Tubing

Small amount of silicone sealant

1) Drink the soda, preferably in one sitting.

2) Drill a hole in the soda cap large enough so the tubing will fit snuggly.

3) Push the tubing through the soda cap so it sticks out maybe 1/2 inch through the bottom of the cap.

4) Seal around the tube on the top and bottom of the soda cap, allow it to dry and make sure that it is air tight!

Once the silicone is dry and it is air tight, it's time to create some CO2!

1) Add the sugar to the bottle (1 cup).

2) Add the yeast and baking powder (1 tsp each) on top of the sugar.

3) Add warm water (1 liter) to the bottle, leave the top 4-5 inches empty as this room is needed to produce the CO2.

4) Cap the bottle and put the other end of the tubing into the intake of your canister filter (in the tank).

The CO2 should start being produced in a day or so, you may notice the occasional bubble being released into the intake of your canister filter. The CO2 will get all mixed up inside the filter and will dissolve into the water. If you were to just place the tube in the tank and let it bubble, the CO2 would leave the tube and float right to the top of the aquarium and would be pointless.

As far as the measurements go, you can figure out what works best for you. The sugar is like food for the CO2 generation so the more sugar you use, the longer the mixture will last. The yeast is what actually reacts and creates the CO2 (along with the water and sugar of course). And the baking powder is used to help stabilize the CO2 production. The amounts stated above should last about 2 weeks.

One 2 liter should be good to supply CO2 to a tank up to about 50 gallons. For larger tanks, just build more CO2 generators!

By the way...

You can also just plug the tubing into an airstone and let it mix with the water that way (but the canister filter method will probably work better).

The CO2 may change the PH of your water.

Once you have started using CO2, don't stop as this will again change the PH of the water. Also, do not close or kink the tube as this will cause excessive pressure to build up in the CO2 canister and it may explode. Although it would look/sound cool, it would suck to have to clean it up.

Also make sure that you have good lighting as it is needed for your plants to grow!

Good luck!

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aqu.../#ixzz1ZD5Eo3wv

one tip about DIY CO2:

DO NOT get lazy and forget/refuse to refill/replace your reactor's contents once the CO2 production has slowed. try not to even let it stop. If you don't change it you'll wind up with very nasty algal blooms caused by CO2 fluctuation.

I think my 10 gal iwagumi attempt failed because i stopped replacing the DIY CO2 on time. it could have been a nice tank lol. I attempted that tank about 2 years ago. after it failed, i converted it to my 10 gal nano reef. if you feel like seeing some pics of it before it got taken down and converted, let me know :)

one tip about DIY CO2:

DO NOT get lazy and forget/refuse to refill/replace your reactor's contents once the CO2 production has slowed. try not to even let it stop. If you don't change it you'll wind up with very nasty algal blooms caused by CO2 fluctuation.

I think my 10 gal iwagumi attempt failed because i stopped replacing the DIY CO2 on time. it could have been a nice tank lol. I attempted that tank about 2 years ago. after it failed, i converted it to my 10 gal nano reef. if you feel like seeing some pics of it before it got taken down and converted, let me know :)

post em up! how long do you think it would last?

Archived