Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I probably won't be buying another tank anytime soon, but if I am in the market for another pico, I will definitely be going with you guys. In the mean time, this is a great thread, very helpful!

On the site it says that you would recommend using the Mini Hydor heater with a RKL. I don't think I'm looking to get another heater, but wondered since it has a thermostat, should I just set it slightly high, low 80's, and connect it to the RKL so that it heats up the water until the RKL turns it off completely?

I'm just not too sure if I should set the heater to what I want and have it turn on and off by the controller. Doesn't seem like it would do a good job heating the water.

The reason I recommend that the RKL be used with the Hydor mini heater, is that this heater HAS NO THERMOSTAT!!!

Having said that, if you leave this heater on without a controller and your room gets 83 degrees ambient, your heater will bring it up to 86-87 degrees and you are going to lose corals.

It was Pink Damsel that let me know that the Marineland mini heater had no thermostat, I immediately took it off my site and replaced it with the Hagen mini heater, since it has a thermostat built in.

Because I recommend two heaters on my site, Hydor mini no thermostat to be used with RKL or another controller.

Or if you don't have a controller I use the Hagen mini heater on my kits.

Hope that clears it up.... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike, some questions about the chillers on your site. What's the diff between the Microchiller and the Ice Probe? Is the Microchiller just a combo of Ice Probe + AC20 or is it a different chilling device?

Is there something that holds the chiller in the HOB so that the dry side doesn't get wet?

Do you put filter media in the AC20 together w. the chiller?

Oh, and congrats on your business, BTW.

Yes,

You are correct, the Micro-chiller is a bundled deal that comes with the AC20 connected to the chiller. Since the developer is here in the Bay Area, we have spoken and he's a great guy.

He drills the AC20 to fit the ice probe nicely and uses attachments so it stays securely in place. I would believe this method keeps the top portion nice and dry and stable.

Okay now to answer the filter media part, the probe needs to extend into the chamber, so you can only use the sponge and a very small unit of charcoal, such as the nano elite chemipure that I sell on my site.

I have retained this information from the manufacture himself, and I will be meeting with him in the weeks to come, I was suppose to meet him last week but work has kept me busy outside of here.

Pink, I will keep you in the loop as I learn more about the iceprobe.

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Got even closer for some more macro's.... Pico's are so amazing....

Can anyone guess what this is?

29okf92.jpg

Green lantern green...

1ymkw0.jpg

Yes,

You are correct, the Micro-chiller is a bundled deal that comes with the AC20 connected to the chiller. Since the developer is here in the Bay Area, we have spoken and he's a great guy.

He drills the AC20 to fit the ice probe nicely and uses attachments so it stays securely in place. I would believe this method keeps the top portion nice and dry and stable.

Okay now to answer the filter media part, the probe needs to extend into the chamber, so you can only use the sponge and a very small unit of charcoal, such as the nano elite chemipure that I sell on my site.

I have retained this information from the manufacture himself, and I will be meeting with him in the weeks to come, I was suppose to meet him last week but work has kept me busy outside of here.

Pink, I will keep you in the loop as I learn more about the iceprobe.

Thanks. My IP sits in an AC50; I had a piece of plexiglass cut to size as a lid w. a hole for the probe. It holds it fine, but the AC50 is just too big: It takes up most of the back wall so my light is off-center and it lowers the water level in the tank more than I like, even with the sponge, carbon, polypad and floss pad in there.

I didn't realize the AC20 could hold the heavy IP. Might think about downsizing. And if I do I'm coming to you for the kit coz I had to go flirt w. guys at the hardware store to get them to cut the plexi for me, lol!

Edited by PinkDamsel
The reason I recommend that the RKL be used with the Hydor mini heater, is that this heater HAS NO THERMOSTAT!!!

Having said that, if you leave this heater on without a controller and your room gets 83 degrees ambient, your heater will bring it up to 86-87 degrees and you are going to lose corals.

It was Pink Damsel that let me know that the Marineland mini heater had no thermostat, I immediately took it off my site and replaced it with the Hagen mini heater, since it has a thermostat built in.

Because I recommend two heaters on my site, Hydor mini no thermostat to be used with RKL or another controller.

Or if you don't have a controller I use the Hagen mini heater on my kits.

Hope that clears it up.... :)

Thanks for the clear up! Looks like I will be getting the Hydor Mini when I get the RKL!

Got even closer for some more macro's.... Pico's are so amazing....

Can anyone guess what this is?

29okf92.jpg

Green lantern green...

1ymkw0.jpg

A ricordea and some green implosion palys?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Thanks for the clear up! Looks like I will be getting the Hydor Mini when I get the RKL!

Sent you a PM....

Thanks. My IP sits in an AC50; I had a piece of plexiglass cut to size as a lid w. a hole for the probe. It holds it fine, but the AC50 is just too big: It takes up most of the back wall so my light is off-center and it lowers the water level in the tank more than I like, even with the sponge, carbon, polypad and floss pad in there.

I didn't realize the AC20 could hold the heavy IP. Might think about downsizing. And if I do I'm coming to you for the kit coz I had to go flirt w. guys at the hardware store to get them to cut the plexi for me, lol!

Pink,

Thanks for your support, I would be delighted to work with you on anything you might need in the near future.. :) And on a nicer note, I don't flirt with my customers, but if you talk too much about pico's I tend to get excited... :)

A ricordea and some green implosion palys?

Newman,

I knew I couldn't fool you.... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

To make room for our Acrylic tanks this Monday, we have put the 3 gallon glass tank on SALE for $15.99 through this weekend only...

If you are interested go to my site and pick one up, this is a rimless 12x7x8 dimension....

Makes a great extra, should you need one...

Here is the pic again....

imqa7m.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow,

With the special on the Walmart Tom Deco Kit 2 going so well. I thought about running a special on the 3 gallon glass tank. You get the Red Sea nano filter, glass tank and Beams Work LED Fixture... $49.99 plus shipping...

At only $19 bucks more than the Walmart special you get a LED fixture and a 3 gallon tank not 2 gallon... Only have three tanks left, if you are interested send me a PM and I'll quote you shipping...

The fixture by itself on my site is for $31.50 so this is just a deal for the last three tanks I have...

Here's a picture of what you get: 12L x 7W x 8H specs on tank

rvvkwm.jpg

Here is a pic of the fixture

30sa5hx.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Now that's a tempting offer!

Thanks,

Let me tempt you just a little bit more... ;) Okay so who wants one? Walmart has got plenty of your cash now, spread it elsewhere... LOL Please mommy/daddy, take me home, I'm only $49.99... hehehe

Filter, LED Fixture and tank...

ilvghx.jpg

Who ordered the thin slice? :o

2aht76e.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of LED's in a tight space, my pico is going to scream... :lol:

rsr9yu.jpg

Is that an AQ H20 tank?

Nope,

It's a Sea Star....

Edited by mikeguerrero

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to voice some support as someone just recently back in the hobby. I can't believe I started this pico with an old 5 gal aga that was being used a pot for a plant! Just to save a few bucks....now a few hundred bucks later I wish i spent the 40 on a decent tank lol. Needless to say when I move in 8 months I will be breaking down this tank and reassembling it in one of yours.

It really can't be stressed enough that the tank is the cheapest part of your reef, may as well go all out.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hi Mike,

Just wanted to voice some support as someone just recently back in the hobby. I can't believe I started this pico with an old 5 gal aga that was being used a pot for a plant! Just to save a few bucks....now a few hundred bucks later I wish i spent the 40 on a decent tank lol. Needless to say when I move in 8 months I will be breaking down this tank and reassembling it in one of yours.

It really can't be stressed enough that the tank is the cheapest part of your reef, may as well go all out.

Thanks,

Truth be said.....

Is that regular glass for that 3g?

Yes it is my dear.... And if you like one, you don't pay shipping, because I will deliver it to your shop... Hehehe I will be UP MIKe not UPS.... LOL

Yes it is my dear.... And if you like one, you don't pay shipping, because I will deliver it to your shop... Hehehe I will be UP MIKe not UPS.... LOL

lol xD

It's tempting, rimless tanks are pretty awesome.. I'll have to think about it tho

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
lol xD

It's tempting, rimless tanks are pretty awesome.. I'll have to think about it tho

Not a problem,

I would say you also get a free nano/mag cleaner with it, but I think I already compensated you there, when I made you a believer in the little guy... LOL

How can I sweeten the deal even more,,,, Help me think Yoshii.... :)

Not a problem,

I would say you also get a free nano/mag cleaner with it, but I think I already compensated you there, when I made you a believer in the little guy... LOL

How can I sweeten the deal even more,,,, Help me think Yoshii.... :)

Lol thanks again, I love it! (And my white spot nem shrimp loves it too lol it hangs out on it all the time!)

Edit: See!

DSC06856.jpg

Does the set you posted earlier come with a heater?

It'd be nice if you could post a pic with the light on :)

Edited by yoshii
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Lol thanks again, I love it! (And my white spot nem shrimp loves it too lol it hangs out on it all the time!)

Edit: See!

DSC06856.jpg

Does the set you posted earlier come with a heater?

It'd be nice if you could post a pic with the light on :)

Yoshii,

I love the picture you posted of the shrimp on the nano/mag cleaner, now it serves a double purpose, cleans your pico and makes a home for the shrimp... Wow these are going to sell quick on my site.... Thanks,,,

No heater, with this kit because the Walmart special did not include a heater... I copied what Walmart did and tried to come up with a deal.

No need to post a pic of the LED's, I already sold one to a reefer that came to the shop and I showed him and he was sold, we can ask him to post a picture of his tank with the light.... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

On another note, a reefer asked me what kind of wave action do I have going in my 25 gallon display tank so, I decided to post pics of the powerheads...

Can you find the powerheads here? What are they? What controls them?

t7ddgx.jpg

Okay, how about a blast from my flash, now do we see them? What are they?

2ngwwlc.jpg

Left side of the tank, can you see the ripples?

156v7l2.jpg

Right side of the tank, more ripples..

uo681.jpg

On another note, a reefer asked me what kind of wave action do I have going in my 25 gallon display tank so, I decided to post pics of the powerheads...

Can you find the powerheads here? What are they? What controls them?

t7ddgx.jpg

Okay, how about a blast from my flash, now do we see them? What are they?

2ngwwlc.jpg

Left side of the tank, can you see the ripples?

156v7l2.jpg

Right side of the tank, more ripples..

uo681.jpg

I am going to say you have two Korilla 1's and an MP10! And both Korilla's are on the RKE!

Hehe do I win anything?!

Edited by duoc9119
I am going to say you have two Korilla 1's and an MP10! And both Korilla's are on the RKE!

Hehe do I win anything?!

I had the exact same guess :)

Mike, I know it has been discussed, but I was wondering if your product line would be expanding in the near future to include a an AIO tank? I understand your approach of using the HOB due to heating issues, but the AIO has it's pluses also.

Those look like Koralia Nano 425's, the Koralia 1 is not wavemaker capable (without eventual damage). Mike if one of the 49.99 specials is still available I will take it.. I'm returning my Tom's to walmart (they have enough money :)

Just PM me the details on how to get the deal and money will be coming your way.