Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Okay,

On a even better note, I got the chance to pick up my order of the New Coralife T5 fixture 11 inch. I pulled off the Marineland LED and put the T5 in it's place.

What I can see is the purple coraline pops way more than on the Marineland, but the LED are brighter because they have more white LED to blue.

The Actinic just bounces off the purple coraline and is totally impressive.

What do you guys/gals think? Look how flush this fixture looks on this Acrylic tank, just nice!!

2ci6y3q.jpg

121vkab.jpg

i3z3nb.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

It really amazes me how closely you have to look at a picture to see the difference between a 90 gallon reef and a 1 gallon reef, can you guys/gals see the difference?

2cmlu05.jpg

sc4cbm.jpg

I like the pico better than the 90g. :)

That's a cute goby. What kind of goby is it?

I also like the FW tank. I've been thinking that I might set up a planted FW Picotope once my reef has been up a while. For some reason, I really like the idea of having the two sides of the aquarium hobby next to each other, if that makes sense. I also really like bright green aquariums. :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I like the pico better than the 90g. :)

That's a cute goby. What kind of goby is it?

I also like the FW tank. I've been thinking that I might set up a planted FW Picotope once my reef has been up a while. For some reason, I really like the idea of having the two sides of the aquarium hobby next to each other, if that makes sense. I also really like bright green aquariums. :)

I like the pico also, I guess that's why I got into them... They are fun to put together and they shine really good when you get the right corals/polpys in there...

The cute goby is a very friendly tail spot blenny, he loves to pose for the camera.

FW tanks are fun because they are easy and they have so many fish you can choose from, I like community fish a lot.

MG

Did a little more macro....

2ur2tlv.jpg

mt3029.jpg

2wpl4s0.jpg

The tanks are lovely! Makes me wish I had stumbled across this thread before buying one from the LFS. But I guess it's not too late to get another since I have nothing in it yet!

A few questions! You said that there were 3 gallon tanks, but all I found on the site were the 2 gallons. I think 2 gallons is a little small for me so I usually like to stick with the 3-5 gallons. Haha If I were to get your 3 gallon, would an Aquaclear 50 be too much flow? I felt like a 20 was not enough when I ran other 3 gallon picos. And since my filter is modified

Another question is about ATO. What are your thoughts on it? I like to run an ATO in case I am out for a weekend or a week, especially during holiday breaks. Any idea on how to mount and run one? Right now on mine I have the float switch inside the display and the airline in the Aquaclear filter.

Also, feeding. I'm on the fence about feeding in such a small tank. If you are feeding, what would you recommend?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
The tanks are lovely! Makes me wish I had stumbled across this thread before buying one from the LFS. But I guess it's not too late to get another since I have nothing in it yet!

A few questions! You said that there were 3 gallon tanks, but all I found on the site were the 2 gallons. I think 2 gallons is a little small for me so I usually like to stick with the 3-5 gallons. Haha If I were to get your 3 gallon, would an Aquaclear 50 be too much flow? I felt like a 20 was not enough when I ran other 3 gallon picos. And since my filter is modified

Another question is about ATO. What are your thoughts on it? I like to run an ATO in case I am out for a weekend or a week, especially during holiday breaks. Any idea on how to mount and run one? Right now on mine I have the float switch inside the display and the airline in the Aquaclear filter.

Also, feeding. I'm on the fence about feeding in such a small tank. If you are feeding, what would you recommend?

Hi,

Sorry I took a while to get to your post, but after carefully reading I decided to do some R&D and I took pictures and here is my discovery. 3 gallon glass tanks were used 12x7x8 for tests.

Side by side comparison AC 30 vs AC 50

2s1lvls.jpg

Both on on a 3 gallon glass tank, filters are started

2ik7fx5.jpg

Bio balls are placed in each, AC 50 displaces more than AC 30 on surface

2q9i1j5.jpg

Bio balls are taken down more at a time with AC 50 than AC 30 underwater

1q3k9u.jpg

Surface agitation is clearly visible more with AC 50 than AC 30

r2lvux.jpg

Conclusion:

The AC 50 will be the official filter for our 3 gallon glass or acrylic tanks. We will use the AC 30 on our 2 gallon glass or acrylic. And the AC 20 will be use only on our 1 gallon glass or acrylic.

So, what does this mean?

On our website we only have the 2 gallon bundled in a kit with the AC 20, we will ship the AC 30 instead of the AC 20 and prices will not change!!

We will carry all three filters on the site and you can choose yourself, if you want to build it ground up.

Friday is just around the corner and I finally pick up the 1, 2, and 3 gallon Acrylics, they will be sold as solo so all of your reefers can build it like you want.

Stay tuned...

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Looks great man! Once I get my 29 transferred into my new 57 I would love to set one of these up on my desk.

Thanks,

I just put the 3 gallon glass tank 12x7x8 on sale on my website; only have 3 left in stock.... A lot of reefers just want the tank solo, so I'm putting them up on my site by themselves...

Here is a pic of the tank solo... Rimless just like everyone like them... :)

t5ip6x.jpg

MG,

Can you share a bit about what camera and lens you are shooting the Macro picts with?

Sure,

I shot with the Canon PowerShot Elph 300HS

I also added a super wide angle lens that I use to compose some really close shots.... Ikelite lens...

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero

Thanks! Great testing as well! I noticed that the water level is 1-1 1/2 inches from the lip of the filter. Is that how high the water level supposed to be? I have my water level right at the lip for better surface agitation, but not overflow when the filter is turned off.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Thanks! Great testing as well! I noticed that the water level is 1-1 1/2 inches from the lip of the filter. Is that how high the water level supposed to be? I have my water level right at the lip for better surface agitation, but not overflow when the filter is turned off.

Nope!

This was a test, to visually see the water current spout, giving the viewer, a good picture of water movement. Had I done it on video, I would have filled it to the top. :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Any chance you guys are going to put out an AIO version. I really dislike the look of a HOB filter.

Bill,

Do you dislike the HOB because you can see it?

We have tried really hard making the the HOB disappear from the front by incorporating the acrylic black or blue background and the fixture we use.

Once we fully stock the 2 gallon pico, I will post pics here so you can see it from the front, you cannot see the HOB.

However, having said that there is a very good reason we didn't do the AIO with this size tank.

Ask any reefer what are two big problems with 3 gallons and below and they will tell you:

1. Heat

2. Evaporation

So, that is why we go with the AC HOB because the heat of the motor is on the outside and it's not transfered into the tank.

I've been toying around with a 3.5 gallon PICO AIO but we haven't found a return pump that will work without driving up the degrees.

Also, the cost of the AIO will be much more than just the tank, the economy isn't what it use to, and in order for me to vest into the AIO is to see the demand.

When we succeed on the AIO 3.5, you will be the first to get a PM from me personally.

Hope that explains just a bit on why our company uses the HOB....

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

Bill,

Do you dislike the HOB because you can see it?

We have tried really hard making the the HOB disappear from the front by incorporating the acrylic black or blue background and the fixture we use.

Once we fully stock the 2 gallon pico, I will post pics here so you can see it from the front, you cannot see the HOB.

However, having said that there is a very good reason we didn't do the AIO with this size tank.

Ask any reefer what are two big problems with 3 gallons and below and they will tell you:

1. Heat

2. Evaporation

So, that is why we go with the AC HOB because the heat of the motor is on the outside and it's not transfered into the tank.

I've been toying around with a 3.5 gallon PICO AIO but we haven't found a return pump that will work without driving up the degrees.

Also, the cost of the AIO will be much more than just the tank, the economy isn't what it use to, and in order for me to vest into the AIO is to see the demand.

When we succeed on the AIO 3.5, you will be the first to get a PM from me personally.

Hope that explains just a bit on why our company uses the HOB....

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

Thanks for the reply Mike. The main reason I dont like HOB's other than the look is I find they are usually cheaply made and get clogged alot due to the nature of where the pump is located. For me personally, I always use a ATO for my tanks and had a 70 watt MH over a 5.5g without heat issues so I dont think that the pump is really going to add more than a degree or two to overall temp. I find it convenient to be able to have the pump protected from all the crap that gets sucked into the overflow. Nothing is worse than waking up in the morning to find that your AC 70 has clogged and your heater has been running dry for 6 hours :lol: .

Either way the only reason I asked is that I liked the look of your tanks and would like to support a hobbyist on their business venture.

I totally understand the reasoning behind the HOB, and they function quite well. One of the things I don't like is the tank cannon be placed flush against the wall. In situations where this does not matter, I prefer HOB filters. Easier to clean, easy to modify/configure, and they are easily replaceable.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Bill,

Thanks a lot for your support. We are trying really hard to come up with a pico that is affordable, practical and allows reefers stability of life in the tank itself.

We are in negotiations on the AIO pico 3.5 with some return pumps from Italy.

It will not hurt our business for me to bring one AIO tank that doesn't interfere with my competitors, as you know I don't want to get into a 4 gallon because then I have to redo my business cards... LOL just kidden....

For now, the 2 gallon is doing just nice and I hope to see the same results commence for the 3 gallon pico.

Like I mentioned earlier, check out my site tomorrow, as I will have all our tanks solo... And I put the glass tanks on SALE!!!

:)

Just wanted to give some feedback on my transaction with Mike. He went out of his way to show the products and be helpful. Definitely spends his time to know the product and customer.

Thanks again.

Just wanted to give some feedback on my transaction with Mike. He went out of his way to show the products and be helpful. Definitely spends his time to know the product and customer.

Thanks again.

Gonna need some serious pic action when that tank comes in. This is usually the case with Hobbyists turned venture capitalists :lol: . Great service and understanding of what their customer needs. Will be looking out for that AIO if you decide to go that route mike. Good luck with the business.

I probably won't be buying another tank anytime soon, but if I am in the market for another pico, I will definitely be going with you guys. In the mean time, this is a great thread, very helpful!

On the site it says that you would recommend using the Mini Hydor heater with a RKL. I don't think I'm looking to get another heater, but wondered since it has a thermostat, should I just set it slightly high, low 80's, and connect it to the RKL so that it heats up the water until the RKL turns it off completely?

I'm just not too sure if I should set the heater to what I want and have it turn on and off by the controller. Doesn't seem like it would do a good job heating the water.

Mike, some questions about the chillers on your site. What's the diff between the Microchiller and the Ice Probe? Is the Microchiller just a combo of Ice Probe + AC20 or is it a different chilling device?

Is there something that holds the chiller in the HOB so that the dry side doesn't get wet?

Do you put filter media in the AC20 together w. the chiller?

Oh, and congrats on your business, BTW.

Edited by PinkDamsel