Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Dude!! The tank came out sick!! Thanks a lot Mike! I really appreciate your patience with me on this one. I know it was a lot of back n forth but im glad we ended up going this route!! Cant wait for it to get here! Thanks again!

chippwalters

Mike,

Based on our conversations on drilling the back of a tank for a Pico bulkhead overflow, I thought you might like to see this sketch. As I've mentioned, I've found adding a sump to my Pico increased the water quality and health of my corals substantially.

This is a very basic design, but works just fine. I suggest a 3/4" bulkhead over the 1/2" as water will move a bit faster.

I recommend using Seachem's "The Bag" as the filter sock, and one could fill it with Purigen or Chemi-Pure and it should keep the tanks clean and do away with the HOB filter. An interesting upgrade to this ultra Pico sump would be the addition of a DIY media reactor and/or a JBJ ATO.

All of these fixtures and tubing (except for the bulkhead) is available at Home Depot or Lowes.

picosump.jpg

Edited by chippwalters
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chipp,

That is an awesome design and simple concept. Looks like you only have to drill just one hole on the glass.

I spoke to my Glazer friend and he said although the glass is NON-TEMPERED, that doesn't mean it won't break! You need to be extra careful when you drill, going slowly and carefully!

It's a drill at your own risk with these glass tanks, the holes are best put in them when they are being designed, pre-made. We are going to explore that option next week with a new glass manufacturer here in California.

This would work so easy with our acrylic tanks, the simple 1.6 gallon tank.

I have a question, how and where would one of these be setup? Is the top tank the display tank and the bottom the sump, correct?

Thanks,

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero
chippwalters
Chipp,

That is an awesome design and simple concept. Looks like you only have to drill just one hole on the glass.

I spoke to my Glazer friend and he said although the glass is NON-TEMPERED, that doesn't mean it won't break! You need to be extra careful when you drill, going slowly and carefully!

It's a drill at your own risk with these glass tanks, the holes are best put in them when they are being designed, pre-made. We are going to explore that option next week with a new glass manufacturer here in California.

This would work so easy with our acrylic tanks, the simple 1.6 gallon tank.

I found a guy in my local reef club to drill my tank for $25. Also, I'm told most reputable glass shops can drill tanks as well for a similar fee-- but no guarantees.

I have a question, how and where would one of these be setup? Is the top tank the display tank and the bottom the sump, correct?

Thanks,

MG

Yes. Top tank is display tank...plus you can "daisy chain" the top tanks so you can have one Pico as DT, another as a frag or display fuge. It allows folks who like picos to instantly make them more healthy and still maintain a small footprint-- not to mention getting rid of heaters, chillers, HOB filters while creating room for more efficient reactors and skimmers.

Mike, you might see if anyone wants a "sump kit" which has all the plumbing fixtures, tubes, bulkhead and pump. This way folks wouldn't have to do all the legwork trying to put things together.

Edited by chippwalters
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I would def be interested in a kit that came with everything for a sump.

We put together a S.O.S kit for a quick and fast setup! Everything is included!

r2w5ug.jpg

1ffpfn.jpg

They work great and you can setup a small refugium inside as well! They are in stock and ready to ship!

Hey Mike,

Nice job with sump offer. I have an idea/question though:

Would it be possible to have a small acrylic tank (same size) built with the baffles in it already? This way people could choose a sump that had a fuge area and everything.

Just a thought :).

chippwalters
Hey Mike,

Would it be possible to have a small acrylic tank (same size) built with the baffles in it already? This way people could choose a sump that had a fuge area and everything.

I'd suggest putting a Tupperware container inside this one and put your chaeto in it and live rock anywhere outside it. Then use the drain line to fill up the container and overflow into the rest of the sump. This tank will quickly become too small for a heater if you start adding baffles.

Edited by chippwalters
chippwalters
We put together a S.O.S kit for a quick and fast setup! Everything is included!

r2w5ug.jpg

1ffpfn.jpg

They work great and you can setup a small refugium inside as well! They are in stock and ready to ship!

FWIW, I tried a small sump like this on my Pico and couldn't believe the changes it made to my corals and water quality. I just added chaeto and a few pieces of stray LR and the results were amazing! Plus, I liked how my tank became less cluttered with no HOB or heater. Best is to install a 3/4" bulkhead on the back of your tank.

To get it to work with a non-drilled tank, you'll need to build a bulletproof siphon. Mine's been running without issue for 4 months now. If anyone's interested I'd be glad to share my plans and insights.

To get it to work with a non-drilled tank, you'll need to build a bulletproof siphon. Mine's been running without issue for 4 months now. If anyone's interested I'd be glad to share my plans and insights.

Please share!

chippwalters
Please share!

There are a number of keys to creating a "bulletproof" siphon overflow (of course NO overflow, is really bulletproof). I'll put together a short how to and post it on nano-reef this weekend.

And of course, if you can possibly drill your tank and do a bulkhead, you should consider it. FWIW, I'd consider buying as big of a sump from Mike as you have room for!

Another option is to consider purchasing from Mike one of the nice round cornered glass Picos, drill it yourself (or have a glass shop do it, or convince Mike to do it!) and then use your existing tank as a sump. That, IMO, would be preferred.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hey Mike,

PM sent...

I'd suggest putting a Tupperware container inside this one and put your chaeto in it and live rock anywhere outside it. Then use the drain line to fill up the container and overflow into the rest of the sump. This tank will quickly become too small for a heater if you start adding baffles.

Chipp,

You are right, it's much cheaper to get this S.O.S kit as is... Users here can save money by placing what they want and where, I left the area untouched for creative ideas such as yours.

I did this quick setup because you requested something similar.

I will look into a unique SUMP design from TruVu, I want something small!

Finally got a chance to upload our SUMP in action... B)

chippwalters
Chipp,

You are right, it's much cheaper to get this S.O.S kit as is... Users here can save money by placing what they want and where, I left the area untouched for creative ideas such as yours.

I did this quick setup because you requested something similar.

I will look into a unique SUMP design from TruVu, I want something small!

Finally got a chance to upload our SUMP in action... B)

Wow, I didn't know you included an HOB overflow with the kit. Superb! For some reason I thought that was a nano-skimmer or reactor. My bad.

The only difference between your overflow and mine, is I have a check valve at the top of my siphon connected to an always on Aqualifter which provides a vacuum JUST IN CASE the siphon is lost. Even so, I suspect your overflow should work just fine!

You might want to add a small reactor with Purigen or Chemi-Pure. That way folks can get rid of the HOB filter on the Pico. :)

This is a great SOS! I would've bought it if you had it 3 months ago for sure.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chipp,

When you stated:

"You might want to add a small reactor with Purigen or Chemi-Pure. That way folks can get rid of the HOB filter on the Pico. smile.gif "

Can you give me more detail on that?

Thanks,

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Announcement: UPDATE!

Finally listened to Metrokat and redesigned my website: WE OFFICIALLY HAVE CATEGORIES! :D I have zero web design knowledge, yet I did all of it on my own!

Check it out and tell us what you think?

Thanks,

MG

Announcement: UPDATE!

Finally listened to Metrokat and redesigned my website: WE OFFICIALLY HAVE CATEGORIES! :D I have zero web design knowledge, yet I did all of it on my own!

Check it out and tell us what you think?

Thanks,

MG

:blush:

I can't cope with all your awesome stuff. When my contest is over I want a proper pico!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Looks great Mike! i always struggled with the huge product list when browsing your site.

Yes,

I know so did I, we just didn't think we would grow so fast! As you might know our site is done just by me, with zero web design knowledge!

If you can drop and drop then $2.95 per month is what Ipage charges and you can have your own site!

When our contract ends, we will pay a professional to do our site. But for now it's just me, myself and I. :)

:blush:

I can't cope with all your awesome stuff. When my contest is over I want a proper pico!

You want and you might get! Are you not in the contest to Win our pico! If you think it, it will happen? Wasn't that the saying from some move? :P

Oh... nevermind. It was a stupid mistake. I have micro-reefs on my bookmarks bar, but I bookmarked the "old" products section. Since the site has been redone, I'll have to change the bookmark to the new product sections :D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
why is your website not working? :o

Might have been down as I was fine adjusting some stuff on there... :huh:

Oh... nevermind. It was a stupid mistake. I have micro-reefs on my bookmarks bar, but I bookmarked the "old" products section. Since the site has been redone, I'll have to change the bookmark to the new product sections :D

Ahh, first time I hear that our site was bookmarked! :blush:

I wanted to share my new Micro-Reef build. It was cool dealing with Mike again. i was very happy with my four gallon, but the shallow fever hit me. I stil have the 4 gallon, but this is now my favorite tank.

The tank is 30x8x8 1/2in thick acrylic.

I just finished setting it all up. I wil post new pics in a couple of days, once i have attached the coral and settled on a rock scape.

After looking at it, the ac70 filter kills the rimless look, so I called mike and picked up the SOS sump.

Here a few pics as soon as i got it setup today. I tore down a 10 gallon i had and moved it all in here.

efa73d4c.jpg

7051a0a5.jpg

1fb11918.jpg

As soon as the SOS sump shows up, the ac70 is gone.

I am also waiting on a custom unibody led im having made, it will be 20in long by 4in. That should be done next week also. I will take better pix as soon as its all complete.

Islandoftiki
I wanted to share my new Micro-Reef build.

Great looking tank! Do you have an official thread going? I'd like to follow along. :-)

Great looking tank! Do you have an official thread going? I'd like to follow along. :-)

Thank you! I love your tank also. Thats what made me go for it. Lol.

And I do not have a thread yet. I will start one up tonight or tommorrow. I need to take a few nicer pix first. Ill post a link in here once I get it going. And thanks again, i appreciate the interist.