Pod Your Reef

AC110 media basket

sidjam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed my AC110 media basket today. Fits like a glove! I am using the Tunze 9002 and it fit in the compartment perfectly. I also ordered a Hydor 100w heater to go into the basket. I have filter media (from inTank) in the first compartment, Chemipure Elite and Purigen in the second compartments and the Tunze in the third compartment. It all fits so much nicer and with much better flow through the media than the DIY setup I had before.

Thanks StevieT!

Nice, good to hear thanks for reporting back. Easy to cut the tab off the intake floor piece? I still am searching for the right word to describe it, lol

Yea, I used some heavy duty sissors and snipped it right off. I was also able to use the magnet on the Tunze to fix the skimmer to the side of the filter. I've had the skimmer almost 2 weeks and it is still not producing much skimmate at all. Hopefully it will start soon.

phi delt reefer
Yea, I used some heavy duty sissors and snipped it right off. I was also able to use the magnet on the Tunze to fix the skimmer to the side of the filter. I've had the skimmer almost 2 weeks and it is still not producing much skimmate at all. Hopefully it will start soon.

the tunze skimmer is difficult to get working well but once it does you will be happy with it. give it a couple days after you mess with it to see what it does - skimmers have a delayed reaction to adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...
MiketheBarb3r

Let me get this straight, the media basket that fits the skimmer does NOT have a removable shelf in the middle am I correct? I'm assuming that's the chamber where the skimmer goes?

• 4 weeks later...

Stevie:

Any thought ever given to attempting to laser-cut the lid on the AC110 to make it fit in place on the Tunze version? I would think that would help with evaporation. I know it's a lot thinner material than what you use on the baskets. Just curious.......

Thanks,

Rick

Ah! I see. It's that damn business justification thing again! Thanks for the reply....

When my order from you arrives, I think I'll give it a shot. I don't have access to a laser,

but I do have a friend who runs a water jet at a local business here. I also have a Dremel

tool. I looked around the net & found the "lid" available for anywhere from $5.99

to $12.98 depending on who's store you looked at.

Thanks again Stevie,

Rick

lol yeah always have to watch the inventory days, damn capitalists.

I think that is a good idea. You could cut the existing lid pretty easily with the dremel.

• 1 year later...

Stevie:

Any thought ever given to attempting to laser-cut the lid on the AC110 to make it fit in place on the Tunze version? I would think that would help with evaporation. I know it's a lot thinner material than what you use on the baskets. Just curious.......

Thanks,

Rick

I would love to have a lid cut to fit over the skimmer too. Please add me to the list of customers who want this. :)

Thanks!

ei,

Here's a couple of shots of how my AC110 came out........

Cutting was done with a Dremel tool. If you look closely,

you'll see the AC cord for the Tunze is "flat". I also notched

the upper lip of the rear of the filter box with a jewelers file

so it wouldn't interfere with the lid of the filter sitting properly.

Rick

post-16318-0-85768200-1365031540_thumb.jpg

post-16318-0-48321900-1365031541_thumb.jpg

ei,

Rick

ei to you too Rick :)

Great job! I will copy! I hope mine turns out as good as yours. :eek:

ei,

Rick

nice work! Got to love that acrylic cup sticking up out of the filter. As much as I like our work it might look better if you paint the outside black to hide the nasties inside.

Maybe just three sides, as one clear would help with adjustments and viewing levels without removing the lid.

Never thought of that Stevie....

Maybe a good idea; especially with the light back there. I'm going to hang this off the back of an ADA tank. I just got my router setup yesterday to start constructing the support mechanism for this monster. I bought some clear 1 1/2" acrylic rod & plate to stick under the bottom of the filter & extend down to the floor. I just don't think I want that much weight hanging off the back of a rimless tank. More to come.

When you do the cutting, just be careful with the Dremel ei. It tends to want to "wander" and can create some unwanted scaring. I have some more shots of the "construction" process if you need them. Just PM me.....

Rick

Finally had a chance to shoot all the aquaclear units for instalation videos. First up the AC110MR. These microspheres are a great way to show flow.

Great video! I enjoyed watching the flow which the beads demonstrated perfectly. Thanks. :)

Thanks. The microspheres are really cool, I finally tracked some down. They will be good for trade shows, they are laughably expensive. I was able to save half of the 10 grams after using them for testing and videos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What's the difference between the 2 ac110 on the site? One says S&C.

This is supposed to be on the product page, but for some reason didn't get on there again. Will try and have it show up. S&C = scratch and chip. Kind of our own version of scratch and dent.

Scratch and Chip: These are models that still function 100% the same but have aesthetic marks, product returns, old models, or other non functioning issues. Sold as is. May or may not include original product box. Sold at a huge discount!

I believe the one unit we have for the AC110 has as small non structural crack on the bottom that has been repaired.

Archived