Top Shelf Aquatics

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral
If you have too many hermits ill trade you some for a frag or 2 of a Miami Orchid staghorn acro...lol just saying

Hmm! Where do you live!

Sick sick! hermits are awesome and the conches are wicked too! get some pictures of all your new little friends!

Will do jackmccann!

Are you sure it wasn't just a molt from the hermit? I know u checked the shell, but they can hide in there pretty good. I wonder what would make it die? Do hermits fight?

I saw the legs and it had the entire body (slug looking thing) still attached. His shell is still empty ad well and only one is moving around still. Not to sure what hapend to him? I just hope it was nothing I did!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did you get the yellow and blue tangs yet?

Personally....just my honest opinion. Since your tank is new and although it's biological filtration is established it might not be sufficient to process all the waste from them immediately. Just to be safe I would get them at separate times lets say 2-3 weeks apart and allow your tank to slowly adjust. Tangs need to be fed quite a bit and they poop a lot so you don't want some huge algae bloom after getting them.

saltwatercoral
So did you get the yellow and blue tangs yet?

Personally....just my honest opinion. Since your tank is new and although it's biological filtration is established it might not be sufficient to process all the waste from them immediately. Just to be safe I would get them at separate times lets say 2-3 weeks apart and allow your tank to slowly adjust. Tangs need to be fed quite a bit and they poop a lot so you don't want some huge algae bloom after getting them.

Thanks for the advice BOMBreef! Have not got them Just yet, prob tomorrow. If I do that and the first fish establishes a section, will it fight the other fish when I add it a few weeks later?

Thanks for the advice BOMBreef! Have not got them Just yet, prob tomorrow. If I do that and the first fish establishes a section, will it fight the other fish when I add it a few weeks later?

Tangs won't establish a section they are free swimmers and really just like to graze all day. I had a yellow and blue tang in my old 75g and they never bothered one another.

Builder Anthony

finally.....i been waiten for this tank to get started since u were looking for a name for it.hermit probally did molt you can leave a molt in there pods will eat it

finally.....i been waiten for this tank to get started since u were looking for a name for it.hermit probally did molt you can leave a molt in there pods will eat it

Reefcleaners is great. I've made 3 orders from him and every one of them was perfect - way too many snails though. Seriously. I'd overload my tank with the amount extras he sends you...

Happy to see you got visible life in there now :)

saltwatercoral
wicked! Looking forward to it!

You can just Call me Jack BTW!

Will do thanks jack!

Thanks Builder Anthony! Tank is finally moving and as far as the hermit body... It is almost complete gone and devoured by the other little snails and hermits!

saltwatercoral
Reefcleaners is great. I've made 3 orders from him and every one of them was perfect - way too many snails though. Seriously. I'd overload my tank with the amount extras he sends you...

Happy to see you got visible life in there now :)

Thanks tokendog! This was my first time Dealing with reefkleaners and they are great! And yes tons of snails! I currently have all the snails and hermits, 1 sand sifting star and my 2 Clowns! I hope to get possibly 2 More additions to the tank today!

Here is my shopping list today:

2 MP40wES, but can only get 1 since they have only 1 in stock.

1 bucket of Tropical Marine pro coral salt

A few Filter socks

1 ATO

1 small yellow tang

1 small Blue tang

saltwatercoral
Nice shopping list! I expect some good pics later!

Thanks mpsti05! Pics will def be coming soon!

To add to your list I'd like another MP10w and an ATO, please!

Lol, I'll see what I can do!

saltwatercoral

I just got back a few hrs ago and have acclimated everything and put them all in the tank. Since they only had 1 mp40wEs and they did not have any small blue Tangs I decided to get the folowing live stock:

1 small Yellow tang

1 Ponape Birds nest coral frag

1 Green Birds Nest coral frag

1 Setosa (Jason Fox) frag

These corals look so incredibly Awsome under these Sol Blues and there colors just POP! I hope my tank is able to support them so I will def be keeping a close eye one them! The birds nest ones are a nice vibrant green and the Setosa from Jason Fox is a neon orange! The tang is loving his new home as well. He is swimming all around and going all through the rock work! He has been chowing down on his seaweed as well! I'll post some quick pics here in a few min!

I def need to invest in a good camera because these Iphone pics do not do this any justice what so ever. Anyway..

Yellow Tang

Yellowtang.jpg

Setosa (Jason Fox) frag

SetosaJasonFoxfrag.jpg

Ponape Birds nest coral frag (each tip is a nice vibrant purple)

PonapeBirdsNest.jpg

Green Birds Nest coral frag

Greenbirdsnest.jpg

My first 3 corals!

3firstcorals.jpg

Pic of the entire shoping list! MP40wEs, extra return pump (incase the original goes), heater (for the salt mixing bucket), ChemiPure Elite, Tropical Marine coral Pro salt, seaweed, and vitamins for the fish food. And yes I forgot the ATO :angry: Looks like when I go back up next weekend to the the second MP40wEs I will pick the ATO then.

Todaysshoppinglist.jpg

Cemipure is the sh.t. I dont think it lasts as long as they say it does. I replace mine every 4-5 months. Wish I could run it in a reactor.

Congrats on the corals. I recently got a Ponape as well. It's held it's color well.

How are you planning on attaching the algae sheets in the tank? I'm using a small clip. Don't be alarmed if the tang doesn't go for it the first week or so. Eventually it will get hungry and feel comfortable eating from the clip. My yellow tang attacks my hand now if I even stick my finger in there with no food. As do the clowns. They're like freakin goldfish. Funny though, they dont do that with anyone else. Kinda makes you feel like your doing things right!

saltwatercoral
Cemipure is the sh.t. I dont think it lasts as long as they say it does. I replace mine every 4-5 months. Wish I could run it in a reactor.

Congrats on the corals. I recently got a Ponape as well. It's held it's color well.

How are you planning on attaching the algae sheets in the tank? I'm using a small clip. Don't be alarmed if the tang doesn't go for it the first week or so. Eventually it will get hungry and feel comfortable eating from the clip. My yellow tang attacks my hand now if I even stick my finger in there with no food. As do the clowns. They're like freakin goldfish. Funny though, they dont do that with anyone else. Kinda makes you feel like your doing things right!

Thanks pschom! I can't wait to see how the corals do! My yang was already tearing up the algae sheet last night! I have it attached to a vegi clip as well! He looks skinny now but I hope he fattens up!

saltwatercoral

I checked this mornin and that little Tang dove onto the seeweed! There was just a tiny piece left on the clip. I put another piece on before I left this Morning for the little guy. It looks like he like the new area!

saltwatercoral
Wow! Great looking trip to the store mate! Lots of really nice stuff!

Thanks Jack! I have yet to connect the MP40wEs up yet so I hope to do this tonight! I want to get 1 more and replace the other power head I have. I hope to do that maybe next week. I am satill looking for a small blue tang as well!

Good luck! i picked up a blue tang a couple weeks ago, No bigger than a toonie! Got a sweet deal too 25$ aha!

saltwatercoral
Good luck! i picked up a blue tang a couple weeks ago, No bigger than a toonie! Got a sweet deal too 25$ aha!

Nice! How is he doing? What other fish do you have and is he getting along?

Wilmington, DE

Hmm, I am in Bel Air md. What color is the staghorn acro and how big?

saltwatercoral
Two Clarkiis and a flame angel, everything does very well together

That's def good to know!

saltwatercoral

I am getting ready to get this MP40wEs up and running! They said to talk to you tank manufactor about having the wave maker up and working because of stress on the joints! :o Ummmm. I don't want to come home to a busted tank. I think Mine is ok, but it's a little worrisome. There is alot of thick wires with this thing as well and they are not fitting in my cable conduit. I née to figure how to make this

Look better because it looks like crap right now. I'll post some pics here shortly.

Archived