Cultivated Reef

OceanFlyer's 20G Cube

OceanFlyer

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I'm working on it. I have a new camera and lens (from Santa) and I'm struggling with the white balance. All the photo's are coming out with too much purple. A friend is coming over today to give me some help so by the weekend there will be some new ones.

Dave,

Here are two FTS' showing your awesome Nano Box LED system at work. I have the blues at 100% and the whites set at 55%. That setting gives the tank just a slight hint of blue and the colors of the corals are better. If I go much higher with white levels your powerful little beauty is much too bright. I'm hopeful that's enough light for the SPS' to flourish. They are all pretty new so it's probably too soon to determine that. I'll have to watch and see.

There's also a Skunk in there but it's only been in for 3 days so it's hiding out in the cave.

Most of the frags, except the torch, are small so there's a lot of growing to do but that's part of the fun of it. I'll do a few macro's next post.

cfcdd56f.jpg

89ab4d64.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a new year and the cube is coming along. I'm very happy with it other than a constant fight with GHA. The RODI I'm buying from the water store claims to be 0 but I'm thinking maybe not. I don't have a tester but with all other H20 paramiters spot on it has to be that. It might be time to invest in my own RODI unit. The H202 works for spot treatments but at some point the problem has to go away.

Here is an updated FTS and a few new corals that's been added in the last couple of weeks. Still having trouble getting a clear focus on the FTS. Turned everything off but as you can see it not correct yet.

1/22/12

IMG_3697.jpg

Frog/Organ Pipe

IMG_3699.jpg

Acan

IMG_3700.jpg

Zoe's

IMG_3702.jpg

Favia

IMG_3701.jpg

thats the most electric green Ive ever seen!

At least the tank looks totally spotless of algae while you search for cures. The tank doesnt seem to be holding in detritus, you've aged the rock really well aside from algae contaminants, yet hair algae can get in the tank through airborne seeding and it will make use of even the slightest nutrients (which your corals need) so it doesn't sound un natural to me so far for the tanks age. Im so glad you haven't packed it with fish yet, still some wiggle room for algae growth and pruning.

I think its fair to experiment with some of the classic clean up crew members who may or may not eat hair algae, at least if its a miss you still have the old zap method thats somewhat repetitive but still preferable to any tank who is getting wrecked by algae. Really love the progress so far you stacked in all the frags like I like to see!

• 1 month later...

After several months I've actually added my first fish. It's a Court Jester Gobi. I've had it a couple of weeks and it has adapted very well. Very shy but comes out more and more. It does nip at GHA if I let the algae stay very long. It also likes frozen Cyclopeeze.

The Skunk tried at first to be friendly but the Gobi is to fast and isn't interested. My original plan was to go very slow with bioload and so far I think that has paid off. Tank if very healthy and maturing well.

AKA Rainford Gobi

MG4639-XL.jpg

thats the most electric green Ive ever seen!

At least the tank looks totally spotless of algae while you search for cures. The tank doesnt seem to be holding in detritus, you've aged the rock really well aside from algae contaminants, yet hair algae can get in the tank through airborne seeding and it will make use of even the slightest nutrients (which your corals need) so it doesn't sound un natural to me so far for the tanks age. Im so glad you haven't packed it with fish yet, still some wiggle room for algae growth and pruning.

I think its fair to experiment with some of the classic clean up crew members who may or may not eat hair algae, at least if its a miss you still have the old zap method thats somewhat repetitive but still preferable to any tank who is getting wrecked by algae. Really love the progress so far you stacked in all the frags like I like to see!

I love those gobies! They are beautiful :) Very nice pictures up until now, sounds like the slow and steady method works for you and you're sticking with it! That's awesome!

• 2 months later...
OceanFlyer

I know I "take it slow" to the extreme but it seems to be working for me. I now have, are you ready, two fish.

The newest member of the family is a Randall's Shrimp Goby that moved in a week ago.

Some call it a Orange Stripe Prawn Goby. Either is fine with me. It's about twice the size of the Rainfords and is very cautious when I approach the tank. Sometimes it shoots into the burrow nearly faster than you can see. Other times I can walk up slowly and take a picture like this one.

I assume, that over time, it will be braver but perhaps it's their nature. It is also a nervous eater. Any food I put into the tank must float right to it. It will not chase after food. Perhaps there are other food sources in the tank that I can't see and therefore it's not hungry.

Anyone else with one of these I'd like to hear your experiences.

i-pT4thHD-L.jpg

It looks great! That fish has wonderful coloration wow

• 1 year later...

Wow, last post was Dec 21----2011. Where did the time go. The equipment list is exactly the same but I changed out the tank. Is is now an ADA 60F. The change over was done a couple of months ago and it was pretty easy. Had to break up some rocks and reatach a few SPS but other than that is went fine. I like the look better and it's much easier to maintain and scape for me at least. Here is a quick iPhone shot but will post a few othre later in the week.

post-67592-0-47860700-1372111764_thumb.jpg

Archived