inTank Media Baskets

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

From what I understand, two euphyllias of the same family won't sting each other. Hammer and frogspawn won't really sting each other. Torch and any other, bad news.

+1 ive read that hammers can touch without having problems. Is it possible for them to merge or like fuse together somehow? I've seen a couple multi colored hammers at my lfs and am wondering if they somehow sexed each other up and stuff.

:naughtydance::naughtydance:

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I hope so as that's what I have been planning for my new tank! Two completely different colour hammers side by side, centre-front of the tank (peninsula). Hopefully it will work ...

Yes, Eupyillia can touch.

As far as torches go, I'm not sure how that works. I've had one in constant contact with a frog spawn without reaction. Yet another decided it was time for war after almost a year of contact. Perhaps it was just the individual, perhaps it was caused by other corals.... I really don't know.

Rbaby, when you gonna drop that dude and be my woman?

Little confused by the way some of the posts are worded...

Hammers, torches, frogspawn, grape are all of the species Eupyillia. Sometimes problem, sometimes no problem in regards to them touching. It's kind of like saying, "yes, two dogs can live in the same house and get along perfectly fine." Most the time this is the case but yet it's totally possible that two dogs, no matter what their breed will want to do nothing but mess the other one up if you try to get them to share the household.

I have had both like, and different forms of the Eupyillia family go both ways. Either a total disregard to it's neighbor or all out warfare. Like dogs, guess it depends on "their personality?"

Steve

+1 ive read that hammers can touch without having problems. Is it possible for them to merge or like fuse together somehow? I've seen a couple multi colored hammers at my lfs and am wondering if they somehow sexed each other up and stuff.

:naughtydance::naughtydance:

Yeah, I've seen those too..it'd be great if they could.

Well I hope so as that's what I have been planning for my new tank! Two completely different colour hammers side by side, centre-front of the tank (peninsula). Hopefully it will work ...

Yeap--I figured that putting them next to each other makes their differences much more apparent.

Rbaby, when you gonna drop that dude and be my woman?

When he stops buying me corals as gifts :)

I do have some bad news--the peachy orange hammer was fragged last week and was thought to have been healed enough to ship. Well, yesterday--the front part inflated but the sides never did...and today, the sides are completely necrotic, foul, brown, fuzzy and dismantling into pieces.

The water quality was pissing off my Xenia and fuzzy Birdsnest so I had to siphon out as much of the yuck as I could. I'm hoping that a iodine dip and removal of dying tissue will be enough to salvage the remaining healthy ones :( I've also isolated it to be left alone by the CUC...anything else I should do?

It isn't looking so hot :( but the blue's doin' great:

IMG_4993.JPG

Damn him, and his ability to buy you corals!

As for the hammer, unfortunately, it may be a lost cause. I figure you've done about everything you can. Only time will tell. It doesn't look like it's brown jelly, so at least that's a good thing.

I have a personal rule about branching Euphyllia. It's only based on my own experiences, nothing more. If there isn't at least an inch+ of skeleton below the flesh, I won't buy it. I gained this "wisdom" from a torch and a frogspawn frag I've purchased in years past. Hopefully yours will fare better than mine.

Damn him, and his ability to buy you corals!

As for the hammer, unfortunately, it may be a lost cause. I figure you've done about everything you can. Only time will tell. It doesn't look like it's brown jelly, so at least that's a good thing.

I have a personal rule about branching Euphyllia. It's only based on my own experiences, nothing more. If there isn't at least an inch+ of skeleton below the flesh, I won't buy it. I gained this "wisdom" from a torch and a frogspawn frag I've purchased in years past. Hopefully yours will fare better than mine.

This is a wall Euphyllia--so it's even worse...the stress on them is way more :(...I lost the peachy-orange guy...there was no stopping the necrosis. Oh well, time to search for another one--luckily, Than @ Tidal Gardens was very helpful and offered me back a refund.

I also got the AI controller today--I have to say, this sh!t is clunky. It's a single knob that can't even properly serve its purpose. The housing unit is extremely cheap, the knob feels cheap and it can't accurately turn left to right properly (I turn right, it sometimes go up, sometimes go down, sometimes skip 10 million numbers). It is upsetting...maybe it's just my unit but that knob makes me want to poke my eye out.

No, it's not you. The knob is kind of unforgiving. I find if I press it with my thumb, that really seems to mess it up. It'll not respond, skip a function, enter 2 features at once. All kinds of crap. Also, be careful with the connector. Just a slight bump, or wiggle, it'll shut itself and the light down. Sure, it comes right back on, no problem. However, it is annoying.

I can't seem to tell what's going on with the Fuzzy Birdsnest...is it bleaching? The underside is turning white--the top side is still a dark brown (though maybe not for long).

Polyp Extension is still good otherwise but I think the base is bleaching...I've lowered my lights to 10-30-30 with a 15 min ramp up for 15 min duration of 20-60-60 before it dims to moonlights.

IMG_5058.JPG

surgicalsense
Happy Thanksgiving :) . It has never moved, really likes that rock it's on, so it stays wherever I place the rock LOL. It's about an inch and a half big. They are very slow growers for me though, but I think I'm going to start dosing a bit of iodine to help with that.

I got a package today from Glazer. I contacted him about my "MP10 vortex" problem. Since the 60-F is such a shallow tank, the MP10 blows sand down when it's too close to the bottom, and it sucks air in, from the surface when placed closer to the top. I figured, I'd rather have bubbles than a sandstorm...for now any way.

He created a shield for me to keep the MP10 from creating the air-vortex. This is the pic that he sent me, I just installed it and it works PERFECTLY. I'll take a picture of it on the tank...I was worried that the cap might reroute air downward but it doesn't, and it doesn't interfere with surface agitation at all either.

P1010483.jpg

Thank you again Glazer! 60-F owners, take note...baseball cap that MP10.

That is pretty cool....

Don't ask me about birdsnest. For an easy SPS, I've never done well with them. I have tabling acros and A. echinata that are supposedly really hard, thriving. While birdsnest lose color. I'm getting rid of all my birdsnest. F that ish.

I haven't had problems with them in the past. Don't have any in this tank. I'm really trying to figure out what I want for this tank since space is so limited. I kinda already screwed it up by placing 3 encrusting monti's at the top. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start another tank now.

IMG_5105.jpg

(Photo taken with lights off and just camera flash, no they are not dying :))

All healed up and ready to get out of the infirmary :)...they look like arse under flash--need to put 'em back in the light to color back up nicely. I learned a little neat trick from Than @ Tidal Gardens and placed them in large shells. It allows you to move them around freely in your tank, they seem to like it as they refuse to leave it--and if you need to take them out to prop, you can destroy the shell (albeit with plenty of patience) with a pair of bone cutters. Neat and thoroughly appreciated by someone who spent a hour trying to remove this guy off the rock...

The tank has...evolved the last few weeks, I need to put an updated FTS now that I'm getting this fish net breeder out of the way. There have been lots of new additions but everything still looks pissed.

My xenia is mad (and also looks like arse) I turned down the lights so much to help my Fuzzy Birdsnest color back up (it was bleaching)...now the light's a bit back on and the fuzzy birdsnest is slowly coloring itself back in some well deserved shade.

Those are perddy... :D

If you want one, I might have one for sale :). One was suppose to be traded and the other was to a local reefer but I have yet to hear from either of them..tough to say with the holidays and all. I am keeping one for myself, I just wanted to trim him down as he was getting too large.

Pics galore..new FTS finally:

BEFORE (October 2, 2011)
fts-10-2-11.jpg

NOW
FTS-12-18-11.jpg

My strategy with finishing my scaping was to isolate weed-like corals, or encrusting corals to their own for the sake of keeping them under control. This is my blue sympodium island:
IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5121.JPG

Some newly added Pocciliporas (green and rainbow)
IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

The cotton candy Pocci that doesn't look like it's doing too well...we'll see how this guy looks--it's looked bad since I got it:
IMG_5122.JPG

Blue Hornet
IMG_5160.JPG

Tyree Flames of Hell Leptastrea
IMG_5120.JPG

Rainbow Monti (when I buy more superglue, my xenia island is going to be the rainbow monti island)
IMG_5119.JPG

Freebie from PYA, a green slimer acro (they weren't joking about the sliming...)
IMG_5123.JPG

More tank shots
IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

My xenia's looking really pathetic--it's quite limp but everything else seems fine...maybe it's splitting, I'm not sure yet..we'll see. My bleaching birdsnest is in the shade behind rocks by the overflow, it's starting to color back up so he'll be out of isolation soon.

P.S. forgot to put my Vortech shield back on, was cleaning the lily pipe, but it's typically there.

Just a cool pic I thought...
IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

Absolutely love this picture... I can't wait until everything grows in a bit but it already looks amazing!

I need that strainer/overflow for my new tank.

Whoah :eek:

That is just jaw-dropingly awesome!

Thank you very much!

Your tank is so clean and the corals perfect, it looks fake! That is a compliment BTW. Beautiful.

Thank you, I like my fake corals :). Keeping it clean is very easy--keep your bioload low and avoid fish if you can ;)...most of my cleaning is the glass walls...too many copepods hang out on my glass sometimes.

So, so beautiful!!!! I love all the colors. It looks like a box of candy :)

Sympodium island is going to be awesome when fully grown in!!!!!

I hope it grows where I want it to...is it obvious where the frag is and where the live rock is? That live rock is so dead looking...not a spot of coralline on it...

Absolutely love this picture... I can't wait until everything grows in a bit but it already looks amazing!

I need that strainer/overflow for my new tank.

Hit glazer up--that's where I got my overflow from....works really great for me. I only have a few other select pieces I want, then after that it's really just letting everything grow. We'll see how it matures from here :).

I really need to borrow someone's SLR camera...my point and shoot can only do so much :(

Archived