Top Shelf Aquatics

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

oh wow. I didn't know you actually had a skimmer box. I thought you were just telling me it's a good idea lol. Looks awesome! What did you do with your lily pipes?

I only replaced the intake, I still have the other glass Lily Pipe...the intake just works better with this because the hole's just larger =P. Also, because of the Overflow, there's no reason to bother with the glass one. I've boxed it for now.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your tank looks awesome.. Are you running a sump underneath? Do you have any pics of your setup?

I run an Eheim 2213 canister with an inline heater. The canister just has gfo/carbon, phosban and some filter floss.

Down the line, I will get a stand for it and try to do a sump (I'm plumbing inept so I will have to probably ask Tigahboy for some advice LOL). I like the ADA stands but they are too low, want something more eye-level so I will get one made instead :).

Love the growth shots!

Thanks! It's kinda cool, I didn't realize how much they'd all grown.

In other news, my peppermint has eaten all the baby aiptasia in my tank. All 3 inverts are bed buddies, they all stay in 1 cave (candy striped, cleaner and peppermint). I'd really like to get a mini-nem and get a porcelain anemone.

I'm also pondering a pom-pom, but I rarely feed my tank (save for a small piece of freeze dried krill that I hand-feed to the shrimp every so often...) and I worry that a pom-pom won't have any food to mop up with his pom poms...thoughts?

Got a mini-mini today, I love it, it's so cute! I don't know if it's fully opened up yet, but this is a pic of him about a minute into the tank:

IMG_4599.JPG

Cute mini :)

I have a pom pom crab in my tank. I do see it eat pellets occasionally. The pom pom I had in my prior tank, I never saw it eat. Not sure what they sustain themselves on...but I think you would be fine getting one. You could always drop some pellets in once or twice a week just for the crab.

Cute mini :)

I have a pom pom crab in my tank. I do see it eat pellets occasionally. The pom pom I had in my prior tank, I never saw it eat. Not sure what they sustain themselves on...but I think you would be fine getting one. You could always drop some pellets in once or twice a week just for the crab.

I don't have pellets, the only food I've got are all freeze-dried...they don't ever sink :(. What pellets do you use? Do they sink?

I don't have pellets, the only food I've got are all freeze-dried...they don't ever sink :(. What pellets do you use? Do they sink?

NLS makes a small fish food with tiny pellets. What I do to have them sink is grab a pinch and stick my fingers into the water so it soaks it up then drop it in from there.

Not sure what kind of freeze dried you have but for my freeze dried Cyclop-eeze I grab a cup full of water and put in a few pinches of it and let it sit, then stir it up. You gotta let freeze dried foods soak up water before feeding

JME, btw AWESOME palys/zoas, and tank/setup!

I use New Life Spectrum small fish formula. Everything in my tank loves it. And it is a sinking pellet. I always put it in a little cup of tank water so it sinks better. Otherwise, a lot of it will sit at the surface (before sinking) and get sucked into the intake.

Got some new goodies today:

Rainbow Acan
IMG_4675.JPG

Very bright King Midas:
IMG_4674.JPG

Red Hornets:
IMG_4677.JPG

Rastas that don't look real:
IMG_4678.JPG

I've always wanted a Pocillopora but I've never kept SPS, they typically don't interest me, but after some research they seemed to be very hardy and easy to do...I found one I liked, but right next to it was a much brighter counterpart, so...my first SPS, Green Birdsnest:
IMG_4656.JPG

What do you do when you are larger than your host? Nothing, stand next to him! I got a porcelain anemone crab, he's instantly becoming my favorite:
IMG_4652.JPG

I've always wanted a Pocillopora but I've never kept SPS, they typically don't interest me, but after some research they seemed to be very hardy and easy to do...I found one I liked, but right next to it was a much brighter counterpart, so...my first SPS, Green Birdsnest:

IMG_4656.JPG

Welcome to the world of colored sticks.... You just opened Pandora's Box. ;)

Those zoas are very cool. And porcelain crabs are awesome, I love watching mine. Funny that yours is bigger than your nem =0)

I will be getting a maxi-mini and hopefully he will migrate to that one :)

Welcome to the world of colored sticks.... You just opened Pandora's Box. ;)

I'm not sure about that though LOL, I only like these birdsnests and pocilloporas because their polyps make them look so fluffy and LPS-bear-huggable like!

Wow! Awesome new additions! Those rastas are gorgeous!

Yes they are! I picked them up from Tenor, he has an amazing zoa tank. What a lovely man, he was kind enough to talk to me about his collection which are all super-cherry-picked.

Polyp extension on the birds nest is better today, I hope it stays good. I bought some Oyster Feast to feed the tank every so often.

IMG_4676.JPG

Where did you get that rainbow acan =]? I've been really into those lately, mainly because they eat like monsters haha. Love the new additions! I'm always amazed at the stuff you get :)

Where did you get that rainbow acan =]? I've been really into those lately, mainly because they eat like monsters haha. Love the new additions! I'm always amazed at the stuff you get :)

Got it from Reefapalooza but didn't pick up until this past weekend. It has its feeders fully out ALL the time...but I fed him tonight and its colors can be seen better:

IMG_4687.JPG

Man when everything grows out this tank will be able to make you some serious $$$ with the coral collection you have going!

I hope to grow everything out but some zoas do need trimming...and soon. I won't be target-feeding so the LPS won't grow too fast :)

Love your coral selections so far. That acan is awesome.

Yeah it's extremely colorful and bright...and quite a steal at $20 :)

how do you keep the oil off the surface of your water?

I have a surface-skimmer on my intake.

Love this tank and have been following it, very inspirational!

Is it tricky to get the level just right for the water to actually flow over the surface skimmer given you're using a canister?

Love this tank and have been following it, very inspirational!

Is it tricky to get the level just right for the water to actually flow over the surface skimmer given you're using a canister?

Nope works okay, the margin for error before you lose your siphon is pretty big and I top off pretty religiously--trying to figure out a top off solution that will work, I only have about a 1/4" of space from the waterline to the top of the tank so most float switches won't even hang properly LOL.

New member of the family:

IMG_4713.JPG

Archived