Top Shelf Aquatics

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

Sometimes, I can get lazy on the feedings and changings, having no fishes allows me that luxury--so no, no fishies :(. I would love one but I've decided against it and going towards getting active inverts instead, such as a cleaner shrimp!

That's probably a good choice to come to then. Good luck with the tank. :)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fts-10-2-11.jpg

Got new rock and some new friends.

Livestock list:

• Cleaner Shrimp
  • Candy Striped Pistol
  • 4 3 Cerith Snails (lost one because of a Oenine Fulgida worm I have yet to KILL. DESTROY. MAIM.)
  • 8 Various Hermits
  • 1 Stomatella Snail (Shrek <3 him)
  • 1 Random Mini Starfish that grew from 3 limbs.

Coral list:

• Neon green candy canes
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • FL Ricordeas: Green, Pink and one whose color I forget because my LED bleached it :(
  • Paly: Ultra Armor of God
  • Paly: Darth Maul
  • Paly: Wobbegong
  • Paly: Raptor's Rainbows
  • Paly: Captain America
  • Paly: Sour Apple
  • Paly: Sunny D
  • Paly: Pink Nebula
  • Zoa: Nightmares
  • Zoa: Armageddon
  • Zoa: Tub's Blues
  • Zoa: Yellow-Ringed Zoas (looks like hornets, but yellow)
  • Zoa: Candy Apple Red
  • Zoa: WWC Lazer Lemon
  • Zoa: Pink Elephant
  • Zoa: True RPE
  • Zoa: VDM
  • Zoa: Rastas
  • Zoa: Tyree Space Monster
  • Zoa: Hithiker with peach spots and orange mouth, green skirt

All my frags are only a few polyps each so I can really track growth in the next coming months, especially with the AI Nano fixture and how well it does. I'm on the lookout for a few more things then I can chill, let the new tank mature and get a fishy :)

I really want a blue-tux urchin...I have lots of Nori in the pantry but I don't want to glue everything down :(

I really want a blue-tux urchin...I have lots of Nori in the pantry but I don't want to glue everything down :(

Leave some room for shopping at Reefapalooza :) What is the benefit of having an urchin? I love the blue ones... but don't know much about them.

Also, do you make sushi?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow,

That's a beautiful, rock solid glass tank... I love the contemporary look.... Just amazing..... :)

• Paly: Ultra Armor of God
  • Paly: Darth Maul
  • Paly: Wobbegong
  • Paly: Raptor's Rainbows
  • Paly: Captain America
  • Paly: Sour Apple
  • Paly: Sunny D
  • Paly: Pink Nebula
  • Zoa: Nightmares
  • Zoa: Armageddon
  • Zoa: Tub's Blues
  • Zoa: Yellow-Ringed Zoas (looks like hornets, but yellow)
  • Zoa: Candy Apple Red
  • Zoa: WWC Lazer Lemon
  • Zoa: Pink Elephant
  • Zoa: True RPE
  • Zoa: VDM
  • Zoa: Rastas
  • Zoa: Tyree Space Monster
  • Zoa: Hithiker with peach spots and orange mouth, green skirt

Thats one helluva Zoa/Paly List you got going!

This tank is super hawt and the fact that a single AI nano is lighting it makes it hawter

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates? I'd love to see some shots of that crazy paly collection, or just some new shots in general

No updates, but all corals have shown growth...my 1-2 polyps has doubled since. The only problem is, I have melted about 2 zoas so far even at 20%-40%-40% white to blues/royals...this is going to take some tweaking for sure...but everyone else is up and healthy.

Set up looks sweet! I like the clean look of it. Nice to see you back in the game! It's been awhile.

Thanks, it's nice to be back in the hobby :)

Really nice set-up rbaby. Love the new light arm.

Thanks! I'm glad the light arm worked out, I was worried but it turned out okay.

Hey I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full

Fixed.

Do you buy most of your frags at the LFS?

I frequent a place called Vivid Aquariums a lot--and I also buy from local reefers. I prefer local reefers, actually--they will sell me frags and I can see them grow on my own :). I love buying a polyp or two and then seeing it have heads later on, that part's very fulfilling to me.

Did you figure out that FrameExpert problem? Also, I raised my tank height an additional 3" (stuck a wood block underneath it)...it gives me better spread (but pretty large spillage as well) and allow me to pump up the lights a bit. That gives me a total height of 13" above the waterline, but now I have to move my laptop because the light spill hurts my eyes and I'm far too close to it.

I was running the lights at 10-20-20 for a while after I noticed some zoos melt :(

/sadpanda

My boyfriend has convinced me that we need a new addition to the tank--I've noticed some baby Aiptasia in there from a frag I bought at a LFS so this weekend, I'm just going to have to go shopping for a Peppermint!

My hermit decided to crawl up the powerhead cord and I guess he fell off...my dog found him and brought him to the room sometime through the night and I found him on the carpet :(

I recognized the shell and I was sad...this was the hermit I cycled with (I know, evil, but friend was tearing down tank and he gave it to me)...he lived through the cycle and pretty much every other disaster that has happened (voltage leak from heater, powerhead failure etc.).

I decided to take his shell and drop it in the tank...lo-and-behold, my critter that just refuses to die SURVIVED THROUGH THE NIGHT OF BEING OUT OF THE WATER! His shell was COVERED in coralline, now it's stark white...even the coralline died.

Pretty amazing.

I frequent a place called Vivid Aquariums a lot--and I also buy from local reefers. I prefer local reefers, actually--they will sell me frags and I can see them grow on my own :). I love buying a polyp or two and then seeing it have heads later on, that part's very fulfilling to me.

Did you figure out that FrameExpert problem? Also, I raised my tank height an additional 3" (stuck a wood block underneath it)...it gives me better spread (but pretty large spillage as well) and allow me to pump up the lights a bit. That gives me a total height of 13" above the waterline, but now I have to move my laptop because the light spill hurts my eyes and I'm far too close to it.

I was running the lights at 10-20-20 for a while after I noticed some zoos melt :(

/sadpanda

My boyfriend has convinced me that we need a new addition to the tank--I've noticed some baby Aiptasia in there from a frag I bought at a LFS so this weekend, I'm just going to have to go shopping for a Peppermint!

My hermit decided to crawl up the powerhead cord and I guess he fell off...my dog found him and brought him to the room sometime through the night and I found him on the carpet :(

267273_10150293636233428_763963427_9225765_6898097_n.jpg

(he looks super smart right?!)

I recognized the shell and I was sad...this was the hermit I cycled with (I know, evil, but friend was tearing down tank and he gave it to me)...he lived through the cycle and pretty much every other disaster that has happened (voltage leak from heater, powerhead failure etc.).

I decided to take his shell and drop it in the tank...lo-and-behold, my critter that just refuses to die SURVIVED THROUGH THE NIGHT OF BEING OUT OF THE WATER! His shell was COVERED in coralline, now it's stark white...even the coralline died.

Pretty amazing.

Definitely seeing the growth of your corals give you a very rewarding feeling. I really like local reefers as well. I feel that you get the best deals and it's also nice to check out other peoples tank. I went and got live rock over the weekend from a local reefers 250gal tan ans it was amazing! Plus he gave me some cool rocks with green polyps growing on it which! +1 on local reefers

As for the FrameExpert program it is still not working. I uninstalled and installed about 5 times to see if the program will run so that I can input the numbers manually and still no luck. It weird how the program itself isn't even working now. To top it off I don't even have another computer =/. Right now my tank sort of looks like how yours did with corals all scattered in the middle in order to get light lol

THAT HERMIT IS A ZOMBIE HERMIT! CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

longbeachstateofmind

/sadpanda

267273_10150293636233428_763963427_9225765_6898097_n.jpg

(he looks super smart right?!)

Pretty amazing.

dont get a peppermint, get a nudibranch berghia. Peppermints are 50/50 and only eat small ones, when it comes to aptasias. Its all they eat, but just to keep the nudibranches alive id mess with a few aptasias so it has something to survive on. (i know sounds like a really dumb thing to do but its amazing on how fast those nudibranches berghia work. But hell at 20 a pop from a lfs(aoa in lb), id much rather breed em and sell em for 10-15 a pop)

dont get a peppermint, get a nudibranch berghia. Peppermints are 50/50 and only eat small ones, when it comes to aptasias. Its all they eat, but just to keep the nudibranches alive id mess with a few aptasias so it has something to survive on. (i know sounds like a really dumb thing to do but its amazing on how fast those nudibranches berghia work. But hell at 20 a pop from a lfs(aoa in lb), id much rather breed em and sell em for 10-15 a pop)

It's an 8 gallon and I have baby aiptasia...I don't want to deal with a nudi :(...my tank's small it would never have enough to support a nudi.

Any updated pics? How are the rest of the zoas doing? Hope nothing else has melted!

An easy way to knock the small aptasia problem from the rock would be to just cover it with some superglue gel before the coral grows too close.

Awesome tank!!! Great scape on that! Nice choice on the topless shallow...your tank is beautiful!

Thank you :)

As far as coral growth thus far, some polyps are faster growers than others...but everyone's at least doubled in polyp size (my tub's started out as 1 polyp and 1 baby, now has about 7 polyps, Darth Maul's as 2 polyps, now has 4 polyps)...

But these are the superstars:

Green-Ringed-Zoas.jpg

Pink-Nebula.jpg

Sunny-D.jpg

Armor-of-God.jpg

Sour-Apples.jpg

Wobbegong-Paly.jpg

I also got a surface skimmer from Glazer--awesome craftsmanship...very clean cuts and sturdy acrylic. I was suffering from some pretty grimy surface scum, it took a few times of washing with soap to rid of the smell on my skin every time I had to dip it in the tank :(

Yay Glazer, thanks!

IMG_4560.JPG

oh wow. I didn't know you actually had a skimmer box. I thought you were just telling me it's a good idea lol. Looks awesome! What did you do with your lily pipes?

I also got a surface skimmer from Glazer--awesome craftsmanship...very clean cuts and sturdy acrylic. I was suffering from some pretty grimy surface scum, it took a few times of washing with soap to rid of the smell on my skin every time I had to dip it in the tank :(

Yay Glazer, thanks!

Yer quite welcome Ruth... and thank you!

It's one of my goals in life.. to rid the world of grimy surface scum ya know ;) and apparently to severely limit the phenomenon of stinky girl hands.

Steve

I'll refrain from commenting on both last two posts (*get mind out of gutter*)... too easy. :naughtydance:

Nice growth in just a month!

I totally forgot to reply to you... I am not aware of an inline heater that has it's own powered pump. Maybe someone out there might know?

Archived