Innovative Marine Aquariums

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

I keep it clean by keeping my bioload very low. I stick to interesting inverts--fish will put you on the fast track to algae kingdom. I have a candy striped shrimp, porcelain crab, 3 ceriths and about 6 hermits.

Most of what I clean is by the base of the sandbed on the glass, and copepods all over my glass.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice build. Great looking tank so far. I like the porcelain crabs as well. but with all your maxis you should totally get some sexy shrimp. i got a pair and they right away took to hosting my maxi.

also i think the surface skimmer is an eyesore. your lily pipes looked pretty slick. i used to get a bunch of surface scum and ran the paper towel every morning for some time. but i found (in my case) that good water movement near the surface resolved that problem. haven't had surface scum for weeks.

i find having just coral in the tank a bit boring. i like to see a few fish in there interacting with the environment. algae hasn't really been an issue.

i like what you did with the lights. i ordered and then cancelled on the AI nanos partly because i didn't think i could come up with something like you did. the mount it comes with was a deal breaker.

I don't mind the surface skimmer coz I had good surface agitation--still had surface scum. I prefer having no surface scum so it doesn't bother me in the least bit. Plus, the overflow is going to be where my ATO return will be located.

I also had sexy shrimp and I don't like them, I don't like feeding my tank so I prefer to keep things out of there that require feedings. I give my candy striped shrimp and porcelain a piece of small freeze dried krill each one a week and that's it. Sexies will pick on corals if they don't get regular feedings and with a low bioload I don't even have to clean my glass, just a matter of preference. I've had tanks with fishes and more bioload, I've gotten that out of my system. Plus, I have 5+ Maxi Mini anemones...which are small-fish death traps...

I go back and forth on fish/no fish in a nano. I have had sexy shrimp and yes they do go after corals. The big one kept eating the tips of the torch...they had to go. Plus IMO SS are boring. I do love anemone shrimps. They are one of the most interesting inverts out there. Sadly it had to go as well. Was great for a larder nem but would irritate the minis to the point that they would stay closed all the time.

I think, for the new setup, I will start with coral/invert only. After saving I'll add a pair of premium snowflake clowns and 1 other. Maybe small goby.

fish will put you on the fast track to algae kingdom.

This is so true! I've been feeding my tank more to accomodate the GBGs and I can see faster growth with my algae.

I love sexy shrimp. But unless you feed them regularly, they are best left to a maxi mini/mini mini pico, only. Something I'd love to do at some point.

That St. Thomas red mushroom is gorgeous! I'm looking forward to watching it mature in your tank :)

• 2 weeks later...
The best part about having a small tank = using my countertop water distiller for top offs 1 gallon at a time. Yayuh.

That's great! I can only get my TDS down to 20 with my under-the-sink RO system. No DI on it. How's the red St. Thomas shroom doing?

Moved it, looked like it wanted to move so I moved it off to the side with less light. Seems to be staying there so far but not completely yet still...part of its foot still isn't mounted so I think it's still trying to figure out if it likes it there or not :).

It's also colored up quite nicely.
IMG_5378.JPG

My sympodium however is being weird--ever since I got it, I noticed that some polyps were brown. Now the blue polyps doesn't open as much...but I think the blue polyps tend to open at night (???) more often than not. Not too sure what's going on with them, I'm just lettin' em roll how they roll.

So now that I've watched my sympodium a bit more...the brown polyps have grown out to be more noticeable. They look like clove polyps...and they've successfully slowly started to suffocate my sympodium.

I fragged them off the rock (leaving the rock out to dry) and placed the sympodiums on a plug--hope they make it and hope I got those pesky clove polyps off of them. They are still angry:
IMG_5388.JPG

The Pink Nebulas have taken off...I recently fragged these last month too and gave some to a friend.

THEN
Pink-Nebula.jpg

NOW (their base has colored up a bit more nicely)
IMG_5391.JPG

No I don't feed the tank really Sometimes I'll put in a drop of Oyster Feast but that's about it...and I give my pistol shrimp a small piece of freeze dried krill to take away to his lair.

Oh yes the lair. I remember it well. Damn thing would hoard loose corals and I'd get a quick nitrate spike when they would die. 3 ricordia and some zoas lost their lives. Maybe they were against the 1st amendment.

Rock's dry as all hell after staying out for 2 days--you think those clove polyps are still alive? Everything's crusty on it...including the coralline that was once there. It's only a small nub of a rock...?

Nice tank, btw how many gallons is the ada-60? :D

Thanks, roughly 8 gallons I believe.

St. Thomas looking great!

He has stayed put too but I noticed when it was curled up and sleeping today that he had a little nip on its side. Not sure if he's sick or if a hermit injured him....looks fine though.

Got a package in the mail today...my two beauties came on a rock--was a very quick removal and put them in conch shells. The blue's a beauty, it's a fluorescent blue and the hot pink one's still rolling in his shell trying to figure out which side's up:

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

Can anyone ID this for me--no idea what it is...very small, few millimeters, yellow, looks like a slug with a small feather like crown and doesn't seem to move much at all:

wtf.jpg

Archived