Innovative Marine Aquariums

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

Lower feeding schedule must be working -- phosphate has dropped to 0.25 -- pH hanging at 8.0, nitrite = 0, nitrate closing in on 10, ammonia approx .10 (not quite 0, but no .25, either). Time for the weekly water check and some aiptasia X. Am likely heading out to LFS this afternoon for a second clown and some more coral. Grading is done for the semester. I can spend the day figuring out the new tank scape while listening to the Indie Holidays station on Pandora :) . Woo hoo!

New additions!

Though not exactly what I went in for, I came home with a black ocellaris companion for Sherlock. I shall call her Irene, and we'll see who turns into what gender, providing I ever know. So far, the introduction has been fairly painless. Irene is swimming about, Sherlock close by, but I've observed no nastiness. Of course, it's only been 5 minutes. Oops -- take that back -- Sherlock is definitely chasing full out now. They are too close in size. May have to return her if this doesn't work out! Holy crap :o , Sherlock just grabbed her by her back dorsal and shook her like a dog shakes a rabbit. Oh sh*t.

Just dropped a bit of freeze-dried cyclop-eeze in the water. The Black Ocellaris did eat some, which is good. Sherlock seems sufficiently distracted by food.

black_orange_unhappytankmates.bmp

Also picked up a fuschia-mauve mushroom (discoma) and a neon-green trumpet coral (whose not yet happy in its new digs, In fact, this mornings rearranging has got the duncan mighty mad, too, though everyone else has opened right back up, even the acan and blasto).

ricordea_pink1.bmp

neongreen_trumpet.bmp

WOW! sounds like its getting a little heated in there.

when i added my second clown i found the smallest one i could find and had no probs like that. sometimes it just takes them a few to figure out the whole dominance thing. i wish you the best.

nice mushroom!

Duncan's are so awesome... but they sure get moody sometimes

Edited by Ezsharkman
WOW! sounds like its getting a little heated in there.

when i added my second clown i found the smallest one i could find and had no probs like that. sometimes it just takes them a few to figure out the whole dominance thing. i wish you the best.

nice mushroom!

Duncan's are so awesome... but they sure get moody sometimes

Right now, the two are swimming around each other just as peacefully as can be. 10 minutes ago, there was some chasing and another frenzied nipping attack. I'd think the new Black would find a corner to hide in, but that isn't happening. If s/he is ignored too long, then she swims right up to him and nudges. When the Orange faces off, the Black just turns a bit but doesn't leave. Maybe a case of piscine King of the Hill?

I thought I had gotten a pretty small one, though I knew it wasn't significantly smaller. They look so different in a big tank. I'll give it a day or two, hope the new one doesn't die in the meantime, and if it doesn't work, take her back and wait for a little 'un.

Love my duncan, but if a coral can sulk, that is the one B) .

Clown behavior is freaking me out. There have been three more fish-shaking attacks. I can't believe that's good for the new guy. I'm not sure if leaving it overnight is wise or if I should just return the Black Ocellaris. It was stupid of me to think my tank would magically overcome nature in service to my purchasing impulses!

Edited by msscha
Clown behavior is freaking me out. There have been three more fish-shaking attacks. I can't believe that's good for the new guy. I'm not sure if leaving it overnight is wise or if I should just return the Black Ocellaris. It was stupid of me to think my tank would magically overcome nature in service to my purchasing impulses!

This is exactly what my black did to a baby osc. Sounds like your new guy is holding his own though. Have you turned out the lights?

Even when you get a much smaller one, there's no guarantees...I have firsthand experience with this.

I'm sure someone's mentioned it - but have you tried rearranging the tank to confuse Sherlock. I've read that it can help ease the transition if the original clown is 'guarding' her space.

Beautiful corals you picked up - I love the color of that shroom.

Back to Flying Solo

After the 5th violent shaking episode, I decided enough was enough and returned the Black Ocellaris. Common sense or cowardice? Could be either one. But the two were so similar in size that I feared what would happen overnight. Chalk yet another lesson up to n00b experience.

At least I don't see any of the nems back from yesterday's treatment ;) -- time will tell on that one.

Single Again

morning_new_scape.bmp

FTS -- 12/15/2011

FTS_12_15_2011.bmp

when you say "fish-shaking attacks" is it still actually physical attacks ? and not the clown seizure of submission wiggle :scarry:fingerscrossed

I have no idea what they were doing-- there were at least 5 "fish shaking" attacks -- maybe it was a seizure of submission wiggle? After doing a bit of reading on clownfish submission, this wasn't a case of the black submitting, but of the orange (perhaps a "she" by now) grabbing the other fish behind the back dorsal or the tail and swinging its whole body back and forth, shaking the other like a rag doll. For all I know, this is normal behavior, but I took the Black back just in case. I wish I'd gotten video of it. I filmed for a bit, but didn't manage to catch that activity. It would have made a good youtube vid.

This is exactly what my black did to a baby osc. Sounds like your new guy is holding his own though. Have you turned out the lights?

Even when you get a much smaller one, there's no guarantees...I have firsthand experience with this.

I didn't think of turning out the lights until I got back to the LFS. It was actually the "new guy holding his own" that had me most freaked out. I didn't know if that would lead to good things or bad things. Even with animals I've observed more, such as dogs, dominance rituals can go quickly south unless one animal is naturally less dominant. I also read (after the purchase, of course -- I should start a checklist of dumb things I've done :huh:) that black ocellaris are "semi-aggressive". I will try again with a baby and see what happens. Or maybe I'll go for something like a wrasse, just to give Sherlock something to interact with.

I'm sure someone's mentioned it - but have you tried rearranging the tank to confuse Sherlock. I've read that it can help ease the transition if the original clown is 'guarding' her space.

Beautiful corals you picked up - I love the color of that shroom.

Thanks, pbjelly! And yes, I read about rearranging the tank, too. I did some re-scaping, but given the small size of the tank and amount of rock, the change didn't amount to much -- the basic structure was the same. Oh well -- live and learn :) .

Edited by msscha

Yesterday's rearranging moved a chunk of tube coral from the back of the tank where it got poor lighting to front and center -- it's pinkish in color, with the center of the polyp tipping into lavender, quite different from the brown ones. I wonder if this is a lighting effect? Perhaps as it adjusts to its new spot, it will also turn brown (tube corals tan?). The new chunk that just started is certainly brown. In fact, I'd give the new chunk to someone if they wanted it! I have four clumps of the stuff which is really quite enough.

The trumpet is open and glowing today. It doesn't wave the way the others do but does add a lovely pop of color.

Pinkish Tube Coral

tube_coral_pinkclump.bmp

Happy Trumpet Coral

neongreen_trumpet2.bmp

that trumpet is off the charts beautiful! they love Mysis shrimp and grow very fast when fed

sorry about the clown trouble. I'm sure you will find the right match for Sherlock... you might have to change his name too Shirley because he's prolly turned female on you =)

that trumpet is off the charts beautiful! they love Mysis shrimp and grow very fast when fed

Thank you! It's my first foray into the non-softies (is that right?). I began adding freeze-dried cyclop-eeze to the tank yesterday, so hopefully all the corals are a bit happier today.

sorry about the clown trouble. I'm sure you will find the right match for Sherlock... you might have to change his name too Shirley because he's prolly turned female on you =)

Lol! Yep, that's what I think, too -- I just read this morning that unless very young when purchased, a lone clown will do the morph-into-female thing within about a month. Shirley she is:-).

Lol! Yep, that's what I think, too -- I just read this morning that unless very young when purchased, a lone clown will do the morph-into-female thing within about a month. Shirley she is:-).

LOL My first clown Homie ( was alone for 2 months) is now female and Charlotte is now the male =)

it is crazy the way that works. they say if you had a tank with 500 clowns that only one would be the female.

when i picked up my second clown i looked for the smallest most submissive clown i could find and watched it for about 30 minutes before i felt like he was the one. There was a little bit of chasing during the first few minutes of adding him, but they bonded and paired within days. i was one of the lucky ones.

I just quickly went through your thread. A lot of progress. The tank looks great!

Just wondering, how come you got rid of the pistol shrimp? You could have thrown a goby like a Yellow Watchman Goby in there. They would have had a blast. Youtube or Google "yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp." Great stuff to read and watch.

I just quickly went through your thread. A lot of progress. The tank looks great!

Just wondering, how come you got rid of the pistol shrimp? You could have thrown a goby like a Yellow Watchman Goby in there. They would have had a blast. Youtube or Google "yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp." Great stuff to read and watch.

Thanks, edpaek! I got rid of the pistol b/c I didn't know what kind of pistol it was. My understanding is that not all species pair up -- specific fish go with particular pistols. Also, the digging was making something of a mess, which in a big tank is probably not a big deal, but in a smaller tank seemed like one. Also, I had three rock-dwelling fish die (yellow clown goby, firefish, barnacle blenny) and something killed them. Could have been the shrimp (though I don't know the likelihood of that), could have been the evil crabs, could have been the brittle star. I left the brittle star in the tank tho' maybe that wasn't a good idea since they can be predators, too. I'm not sure I have deep enough sand bad to make a real pistol and goby pair happy -- I have too much rock!

Interesting encounter as I left the office yesterday. We've had break-ins on our floor, so the campus police have been around a lot. One of the officers popped his head in to check everything is okay, spots the tank, and says he's gotta check it out. He's got 3 salt water aquariums, two of which are over 100 gallons and one of those is at the office! We chatted for about 10 minutes and laughed at this "hobby" -- I kept freshwater tanks (especially bettas, including a spectacular "Cambodian" betta that was white with rainbow tints) for 20 years, and always thought I enjoyed it, but my relationship to the 11 gallons of cubed seawater on my desk borders on obsession. I wonder how long this phase lasts or if I'm marked forever.

Spent a few minutes at the office yesterday just because...fed the tank a mix of marine fusion and freeze-dried cyclop-eeze and thought Sherlee the Clown formerly known as Sherlock who used to be Bozo the Psycho Clownfish was going to go crazy in food ecstasy. Even the duncan got excited! One head is still totally closed (sulking brat [Monday: finally partially open]) but the other two got these bright yellow bands at the base of the head which were quite cool looking. I took some pics on my phone, but they haven't loaded yet. Don't know why. And there are definitely 3 baby heads developing. Also in the newly discovered wee-ones department, the acan is sporting another new head, bringing the total to five and one of the rics is splitting! Woo hoo! Even the trumpet seemed happier as it had a slight brown band with tiny little arms surrounding the center. In the meantime, our white bobtail cat has discovered that if she sits on my laptop whilst I type, she can be both warm, annoying, and adorable all at the same time.

Lousy Pic of Happy Duncans

duncans4.jpg

Cornucopia of Discomas (I love the textural differences in each shroom)

mushrooms4.bmp

Splitting Ricordea

ricordea_splitting.bmp

Edited by msscha

Set that shroom pic as my desktop background -- it's soooo coool.

Also found the following -- if interested in deep sea science and not offended by an enthusiastic embrace of foul language as a way of expressing one's deep joy in all things oceanic: Deep-Sea News (for those in need of a language-dip, try the post on 12/19/2011)

Edited by msscha

"We love the ocean, and the ocean is filled with sex, poop, and awesomesauce. Coral spawning is even more marvelous for being a big-ass orgy! The ocean’s ability to absorb carbon from the atmosphere is made even more special because it is controlled by billions of teeny creatures pooping! "

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! finally found my sig

Edited by Ezsharkman
"We love the ocean, and the ocean is filled with sex, poop, and awesomesauce. Coral spawning is even more marvelous for being a big-ass orgy! The ocean’s ability to absorb carbon from the atmosphere is made even more special because it is controlled by billions of teeny creatures pooping! "

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! finally found my sig

:happydance:

You have so much going on in this tank, It's fabulous!

I love how happy everything looks/acts/is.

Thank you!!!

Spotted a "Striated Wrasse" at the LFS yesterday and spent about 20 minutes watching it. Really interesting fish -- the one I was watching seemed to change color, going from a dullish, flat-metallic red/brown to a bright red and several shades in between. The mouth stripe would suddenly brighten, too. It seems like it may be a good tank choice, but decided not to add anything until the first week of 2012, as I'll be out next week and LFS is tank-sitting.

Also spotted a Molly Miller Blenny, which was similar in behavior to the Barnacle Blenny, though not as colorful. Still quite fun to watch!

The Rainfordii Goby was cool looking, too. And may be a better tank choice since it seems to thrive in smaller tanks. So many choices!

Edited by msscha