Cultivated Reef

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

You should post a new FTS!!!!! :)

I see the bigger sponge in the photo with the ricordeas, now that I'm looking more closely. I keep staring at mine to see if it's changing. I'm not sure what to look for to determine if it's doing well or not. So far so good, I suppose. Seems like there's always something on it, be it shrimp, fish or snails :lol:

I thought I remember reading you can't have a gold banded (or just banded) shrimp with any other shrimp. I remember thinking I could not have one now since I have my skunks. I'll have to google that again.

I hope yours plays nicely with the peppermints!!!!!

You should post a new FTS!!!!! :)

I see the bigger sponge in the photo with the ricordeas, now that I'm looking more closely. I keep staring at mine to see if it's changing. I'm not sure what to look for to determine if it's doing well or not. So far so good, I suppose. Seems like there's always something on it, be it shrimp, fish or snails :lol:

I am going to bring my good camera to the office this week. Let me know if your sponge grows. I swear mine haven't changed size at all. Instead, the lfs (when it was run by someone who knew what they were doing) said to look for open holes (oh heck, I cannot remember the technical name for them!). The open holes are indications of filter feeding, and are supposed to mean a happy sponge. If it start growing grey slimy hair, it is not happy. That's about all I know!!

The shrimp thing is a good point: I heard that coral banded was not safe for other shrimp, but the gold coral is smaller, and according to liveaquaria, a peaceful cohabitant if the shrimp is not too small. So, no sexies, but peppermints were supposed to be okay. We'll see! If I get to the office tomorrow and just find shells, I'll know that GCB ate them! Then, I'll have to decide if I'm going to keep it, or go back to peppermints. They clearly do more to clean the tank. And they are fun to watch. I'd rather have peppermints with a single fire shrimp or maybe some sexies than just the GCB. Or...I could look into the aiptasia-eating nudibranch I read about in "Coral" magazine. That could be cool!

Edited by msscha
I am going to bring my good camera to the office this week. Let me know if your sponge grows. I swear mine haven't changed size at all. Instead, the lfs (when it was run by someone who knew what they were doing) said to look for open holes (oh heck, I cannot remember the technical name for them!). The open holes are indications of filter feeding, and are supposed to mean a happy sponge. If it start growing grey slimy hair, it is not happy. That's about all I know!!

That's very helpful information!!!! Thank you!!!! I have noticed the holes change. Sometimes there are more than other times. Right now there are quite a few of them on it. Some big, some small. Gosh, I hope I can keep it alive and thriving...I love it :happy:

That's very helpful information!!!! Thank you!!!! I have noticed the holes change. Sometimes there are more than other times. Right now there are quite a few of them on it. Some big, some small. Gosh, I hope I can keep it alive and thriving...I love it :happy:

The holes change position based on water flow. The more open, the better -- you have happy sponges!

Thank you! I added two peppermints yesterday, and almost immediately, the gold coral banded snapped at one of them. They are supposed to be peaceful tankmates, but one of the knowledgeable workers at the lfs said that isn't always the case. I'm hoping at least one of them survives, b/c it was evident immediately that they were happily munching all over the rock, and I've got both a growing isopod population and aiptasia to control!

I just visited your thread a minute ago, so complained about the new lfs owner there. Seriously, I wonder if this guy just thought "hey, I'll run a fish store! The hours are good and the fish are so pretty to look at." :blink:

I almost bought a peppermint at the frag swap i was at yesterday but thought better of it. I'll go pick one out when i'm not in such a hurry. They're cute, i hope yours survive to eat those damned aiptasia!

I bet he did you know, some people look at a business and think "if that guy can do it so can i!" I mean, look at all the poorly run restaurants out there. I hope he gets it together and works out or sells it on to someone more knowledgeable.

I am on a grading blitz today, so must not linger here, but wanted to report that both peppermints are alive and well this morning! Woo hoo!!

Several hours later (or so it seems)

I brought my good camera to the office today, but my work computer doesn't have SD slot, so will have to compare pics at home. Here are a couple from my standard camera, just for fun.

Interesting shot of acan post feeding -- love the textures -- colors beginning to pop on this one

acan_red_feeding.bmp

One of the new peppermint shrimp -- I call them Click and Clack. Let's assume this one is Click, who hangs out more at the front of the tank and is inclined to follow the big human head around looking for food

peppermint_trumpet.bmp

Edited by msscha
That acan looks nice and happy :)

So has that isopod stayed away so far???? Hopefully those peppermint shrimp will find it and annihilate it :lol:

I have not seen the isopod again -- woo hoo! Both peppermints are still alive AND I see that 3 of the most noticeable aiptasia are nowhere to be seen -- big woo hoo!! :happydance:

I finished reading Chris Brightwell's "Nano Reef Handbook" yesterday. What a waste of money! He claims it is written for beginners, but his tone and vocabulary choice make it clear that he does not understand beginner's or really doesn't care. He makes the claim that we should read his book twice before even thinking about starting a nano-reef tank, but what good does that do when it cannot stand as a guide? He uses technical terms, especially when dealing with water chemistry, and fails to define them in a way a beginner would find useful. His list of acceptable livestock can be found in many places, and with a lot more information, for free! I would never recommend this book to anyone -- stick with Martin Moe, John Tullock, and Ron Shimek.

I bet he did you know, some people look at a business and think "if that guy can do it so can i!" I mean, look at all the poorly run restaurants out there. I hope he gets it together and works out or sells it on to someone more knowledgeable.

that's what happened with the 40+ year old mom and pop hair cuttery in my town. the founders were ready to retire and sold the business to this guy, and he's slowly driving everyone away, does all his business phone calls at the front counter, is belligerent(on his good days) with everybody...it's really sad.

Is there a place on NR to post articles? Here is a good one on -- Peppermint shrimp -- , referred to in the liveaquaria.com description of the species. It is a long (44 page) academic article, so not everyone's cup of tea, but does make interesting claims about behavior including eating aiptasia!

Edited by msscha

That's excellent news about the aptasia being gone!!!! I know some people don't have luck with peppermints eating their aptasia, so a definite happy dance is in order :happydance:

That's excellent news about the aptasia being gone!!!! I know some people don't have luck with peppermints eating their aptasia, so a definite happy dance is in order :happydance:

Thank you, Gena! I read on ScubaEthan's thread that you have a cold -- bummer! I hope you feel better soon :)fingerscrossed.

I am happy that the peppermints are doing well. In fact, they've established themselves rather nicely in the big cave while the gold coral banded is hanging out under a back ledge. Click and Clack are also very active -- out on the rocks and sand bed all day. They are clearly not feeling threatened by the GBC and aren't shy at all. In fact, I said as much on liveaquaria yesterday b/c the only testimony to peppermints was someone who recommended skunks b/c peppermints were too shy. I think it depends on the size of tank and the inhabitants. My tank is quite peaceful, a low risk habitat!

A few pics to end the week!

Not with the good camera, but just some shots for the fun of it. Tried to get pics that would let me identify which of the lysmata species my peppermints are, but they didn't turn out well enough. Maybe the other SD card will have better resolution.

Peppermint Species pics from article -- all are Caribbean/Western Atlantic species)

peppermint_reclass_pic.bmp

My Peppermints, Click and Clack (can't see that their tails are dark -- I'm thinking D boggessi or E pederseni, both newly described species! )

shrimpID.bmp

Nassarius -- up close and personal

nassarius_closeup.bmp

Acans and Snails

acans_and_snails.bmp

FTS -- 3/26/2012 (too much glare!)

fts_3_26_2012.bmp

Edited by msscha
WOW!! That is a beautiful tank arrangement!! Are you running LED's in your hood?

Thanks so much :D ! No LEDs -- just the standard compact + actinics (10,000 K on both) that came with the biocube unit.

Thanks so much :D ! No LEDs -- just the standard compact + actinics (10,000 K on both) that came with the biocube unit.

Do you run your actinics all day with you daytime lamps? The reason I ask is currently Im running my actinics as dusk and dawn lights only and I feel like maybe the tank is lacking in overall wattage. But I'm also a little worried about the heat from running both lights all day....

I read on ScubaEthan's thread that you have a cold -- bummer! I hope you feel better soon :)fingerscrossed.

Thanks :happy: I do have a cold. My son was home from school 4 days with the same thing. I managed to go two weeks before I caught it :lol: Yesterday I was sitting in my car, waiting for him, after school. The lady on the radio said to "make sure you take lots of vit. C cuz there's a nasty cold going around".....I was like, tell me about it :lol:

Anyways...onto the funs stuff....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your tank is looking fabulous!!!!!!!!! It's really grown since the last FTS. Or things are more full (or "fluffy" as I like to call it :)). Looks amazing!!!!!

Do you run your actinics all day with you daytime lamps? The reason I ask is currently Im running my actinics as dusk and dawn lights only and I feel like maybe the tank is lacking in overall wattage. But I'm also a little worried about the heat from running both lights all day....

I do run my actinics at the same time as my PCs -- the biocube has a fan built in which helps cool, and if it gets too warm in the afternoon, I open the front "feeding" flap which cools even more. My tank is in an office which stays pretty cold, probably about 72 F max. So my tank does not overheat, even in summer. My biggest potential problem with heating comes from the maxijet 900 which does seem to be adding a degree or two the water temps.

I also run my moonlights 24/7 -- my power strip only has a single timer row of outlets, so I can't set the moon LEDs to come on at night only.

Thanks :happy: I do have a cold. My son was home from school 4 days with the same thing. I managed to go two weeks before I caught it :lol: Yesterday I was sitting in my car, waiting for him, after school. The lady on the radio said to "make sure you take lots of vit. C cuz there's a nasty cold going around".....I was like, tell me about it :lol:

Anyways...onto the funs stuff....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your tank is looking fabulous!!!!!!!!! It's really grown since the last FTS. Or things are more full (or "fluffy" as I like to call it :)). Looks amazing!!!!!

I think they were looking especially fluffy! Especially when I take photos in the afternoon. The mushrooms, rics, and duncan get bigger and bigger as they day goes on. It's fun to watch!

I'm experimenting with Flickr -- we'll see if these work

7032448209_330059503a_s.jpg

6886352926_48581aa5d5_s.jpg

7032449323_b32d445529_s.jpg

7032448925_023bfd4588_s.jpg

7032448389_85ebf79701_s.jpg

7032449145_a7c713a990_s.jpg

Hmm -- it's just showing thumbnails. Will figure this out later!

Edited by msscha

Monday morning and the tank is looking good!

When I popped in yesterday to top off and feed, and again when I arrived this morning, the two peppermints were hanging out together in the back corner, sort of huddling behind the halimeda. I am hoping this means spawning will commence! I will keep an eye on their bellies to see if anything arises.

My hidden cup coral seems to have died or gone into hibernation. I really like the huge pink mushroom, but wish I could figure out a way to move it. I did a magnifying glass inspection of the tank this morning and found several new colonies of feather worms -- both have very small individuals -- one with a bright red/pink center and whitish tentacles, the other blends into the rock in shades of brown-gray. I also spotted a new feather worm up front in a lovely pattern of creams and blues, with a slide "divide" on one side. The other one I have like this is in reds and blues, and as it has slowly grown, the divide has formed a sort of two-sided fan. It currently faces the back of the tank, so is pretty hard to get pictures of. The new one is in the front, and I look forward to watching it grow. I've also spotted bunches of new worm-y things, so it would seem that my tank is well-suited to filter feeders :).

Sure sounds like it (well-suited for filter feeders) :happy:

It won't be long now before you have free shrimp food!!!!!!

Oh....I'd like to see bigger versions of those pictures :)

Edited by gena

WOW! Love the full tank shot. It's looking amazing :) Those acans are nice. Click and Clack are good names. Mine, Pierre, is definitely species C. You always share the coolest things. Is that algae on your yellow ball sponge? :o

WOW! Love the full tank shot. It's looking amazing :) Those acans are nice. Click and Clack are good names. Mine, Pierre, is definitely species C. You always share the coolest things. Is that algae on your yellow ball sponge? :o

I don't know if it's algae or some kind of red mite creature. I vaguely recall reading about some disease that affects these sponges -- they certainly didn't arrive with it, but I'm not sure what it is. They still open and "breathe" so I think they are okay.

How is your cold? Feeling better? I got sick over Christmas -- symptoms were mild, but the fatigue and lack of appetite last for weeks. I actually lost 4 pounds over the holidays, even when I wasn't going to the gym! Of course, I've gained it back... :huh: