Coral Vue Hydros

say a prayer for Hope

wartskin

Awww, poor little guy! So sorry for your loss. :(

Follow the advice that has been given - ich treatment, etc. If you remove all the fish from the tank, the ich will die off in a matter of weeks. The life cycle is 28 days IIRC. Wait a few weeks more to make sure it's completely gone before adding anymore fish. And don't get discouraged!! For me, seeing algae in my tank or having my parameters go whack-o is discouraging, but I work to fix the problem and get more enjoyment from my tank. Would you rather do a little work to kill off the ich and get another awesome froggy, or take the tank down and never get the enjoyment of keeping a froggy/corals ever again? The choice is obvious to me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the cost $$$ of the fish that bugs me the most, you do the math 6-7 anglers × $$$ = to dam much lol for a fish that might be better off left in the ocean??? Wish I could hear from long time angler owners if their is any.... the suppliers husbandry department says I know more about the species then they..... lol

My friend had a wartskin angler (looked very similar to yours) for about 2 years, then handed it off to me. I had it for 8 months, then it died. Don't know if that's considered long time or not.

Its the cost $$$ of the fish that bugs me the most, you do the math 6-7 anglers × $$$ = to dam much lol for a fish that might be better off left in the ocean??? Wish I could hear from long time angler owners if their is any.... the suppliers husbandry department says I know more about the species then they..... lol
My friend had a wartskin angler (looked very similar to yours) for about 2 years, then handed it off to me. I had it for 8 months, then it died. Don't know if that's considered long time or not.

It is. They only live about 2 years IIRC. :(

:D glad to hear that the first part though

I am so sorry for your loss. Poor little Hope, such a pretty little froggy.

Post pics when you get your new one and good luck!

Thanks, y'all will be the first to know, but wont happen for a few more weeks

My LFS has 2 small frogs.......idunno -_- their colors aren't what I would like- ones brown the other dark green- but they are so lil and cute I might just have to

DEAD.............. :tears:

I've come to my own opinion that this fish needs to be in a tank with a uv for sure! Its the only thing I can think of? Of all the ones I know of that died no one was running a uv.....this fishes most common problem is ich! And how do you control ich on a fish that you can't tell has it in the first place.....uv sterilizer....its fish stores & suppliers magic to keeping fish alive

stupid Oceanic

I can't make out most of what you're saying in this thread, but this is 100% not based on any fact and from everything I've read and experienced it is a completely incorrect conclusion. I've had many frogfish (both currently and in the past) and I can say that they are not prone to contracting ich. I would wager the vast majority of frogfish deaths can be attributed to either poor acclimation and handling (eg. allowing them to ingest air, etc.) or poor nutrition (eg. feeding too frequently/too large a meal, etc.).

I've been keeping frogfish for what I consider to be successfully (having some that have lived/been living 1+ year) for several years now and the setups I house them in are the simplest setups I maintain. They literally just consist of liverock, sand and powerheads. I use water changes to maintain water quality and a sparse clean up crew for anything else.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your frogfish, but I think you are headed in the wrong direction if you think UV is a necessity to keep them. If you are having problems I would honestly look at some of the more likely causes, such as your water chemistry, husbandry practices, etc.

I can't make out most of what you're saying in this thread, but this is 100% not based on any fact and from everything I've read and experienced it is a completely incorrect conclusion. I've had many frogfish (both currently and in the past) and I can say that they are not prone to contracting ich. I would wager the vast majority of frogfish deaths can be attributed to either poor acclimation and handling (eg. allowing them to ingest air, etc.) or poor nutrition (eg. feeding too frequently/too large a meal, etc.).

I've been keeping frogfish for what I consider to be successfully (having some that have lived/been living 1+ year) for several years now and the setups I house them in are the simplest setups I maintain. They literally just consist of liverock, sand and powerheads. I use water changes to maintain water quality and a sparse clean up crew for anything else.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your frogfish, but I think you are headed in the wrong direction if you think UV is a necessity to keep them. If you are having problems I would honestly look at some of the more likely causes, such as your water chemistry, husbandry practices, etc.

I've heard mention of shipping stress and handling being a common killer too with many not showing symptoms for the first few days. If I were to try again, I'd find one that has been with the shop for a while, never exposed to air, and eating.

maybe anglers just arent your thing

Sorry Man.

:(

^ lol.

Gotta be that ###### fish constipation.

Oh and sorry to hear it died.

Jokes aside, get a vitamin supplement for your food and soak it in that prior to feeding, as freezing can deplete some nutrient, also I'd remove the green worm, I've got 3 6" bristle worms in my 7gal and they never ever slime up, definately sounds like a eunice worm, those things appear to be the devil himself.

sorry bout your loss, I'd definately read / get in touch or post up a thread about angler care, Wet Web Media is great and get some know under your belt, prior to getting your next fish.

don't give up, it's a stressful hobby, I woke up and did my usual dosing and found my large Pocillopora had tissue burning from an overdose and I felt how you do (hopeless, debating closing down my tank etc) but we have to keep chugging on mate, learn more and understand why and approach it with a more experienced mind.

I've heard mention of shipping stress and handling being a common killer too with many not showing symptoms for the first few days. If I were to try again, I'd find one that has been with the shop for a while, never exposed to air, and eating.

In my experience and from everything I've read, this is definitely the case and one of the reasons I mentioned it. I've lost 2 anglers this way and both were within the first few days. Once you get one that is properly handled, so long as your water parameters are good and stable, they are fairly easy to care for. For what it's worth, I have had long term success with an angler purchased online from LA Diver's Den. So it is definitely possible to get great specimens online as well, but your tip about getting one locally is definitely a good way to go for someone starting out or having troubles.

Sorry about your lost wartskin. I always enjoyed the pictures you posted of the little guy.

Definitely don't give up! I second what metrokat said, try feeding a variety. I've fed my angler frozen lancefish, gut loaded ghost shrimp, and sometimes live damsels. I don't really know what else we can feed, but just some suggestions.

Did you guys know that each species of angler has its own specific fishing rod movement? Such as wartskins will whip theirs in circles and wiggle it close to the substrate :o , I believe it maybe to intice shrimp or sand dwelling gobies

And I suppose to those who need to know iam 37 years old and had my first 55g salt tank at 9 so iam far from being a newbie my husbandry is stable to say the least, I have been in the LFS business before with a partner so I know who the supplier and the store is and their practices B)

people have been having unexplained issues with anglers since 2005+ according to RC "Frogfish files", one thing I wont do with my next frog is ween to silversides, because the consensus seems to be deficiency with a all silverside diet...

I have yet to hear from someone stating their angler is 2 years old and they feed... when.... how much... temp is .... water parameters are..... this is who I wanna talk to......Frogfish people :D

As I said the uv comment is my opinion and believe in it iam not saying you have to have one but I will, maybe this fish just stresses out to ez and things need to stay perfect as in everyday maintaining but then again starring at the fish too long can make em stress and yawn and figit so idunno :happy:

and yes your right I don't make much sense when I post I ramble what's in my head and don't care where the period or comma goes :P

thanks for all the positive comments ;) Hope was a cool fish but what frog aient so I will do another here sooner or later and another and another..........#6 look out here I come

I should have looked into who studies these fish and sent em my dead ones to be studied........know of anyone? :huh:

I like the live damsels as food but I worry about feeding sick fish as this is what I think was the nail in the coffin for Hope but she spit up her silverside before the damsel so something was wrong before that.......iam done for now my fingers hurt haha :rolleyes:

I have yet to hear from someone stating their angler is 2 years old and they feed... when.... how much... temp is .... water parameters are..... this is who I wanna talk to......Frogfish people :D

Not sure if you read my post or not, but I've been successfully keeping frogfish for several years (in my opinion at least). I don't know exact dates, but I've had several frogfish live 1+ year, and my current oldest is probably just around 1.5 years. I've posted before regarding what I do, but I feed thawed enriched silversides (sometimes gutloaded with NLS pellets) pretty much exclusively, sometimes ghost shrimp, and I have fed live damsels extensively as well (I quarantined them all in separate buckets for a few weeks prior to feeding them).

As far as a feeding schedule it tends to vary depending on how large a meal they were fed previously and how they are acting or appear (ie. if they still have a bulge in their stomach). I keep my temperature ~78 degrees, I don't test for parameters regularly anymore since they're essentially in a FOWLR and I just do water changes when I do them for my reef tanks. I stopped testing regularly because the parameters never changed and I didn't see any point in continuing.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to attack you personally over your husbandry skills or experience. It's just that your comments regarding UV being necessary for frogfish are way off the mark in my opinion. Personally, I've found that the first few days are the most important and if they don't die then, rarely anything develops later down the line. The only instance for me where that wasn't the case is when I lost two frogfish in two separate tanks within 24 hours to what I presume was a tainted batch of food.

Also, I have found they do not stress easily at all. I have one on my desk and I stare at him constantly and wiggle my finger to get him to show his lure frequently. Perhaps you're just unlucky with them right now. If your parameters are stable, the fish is healthy and from a good source, and it acclimates well, you shouldn't be having any problems. The only other suggestion I can make is that I don't mess around with literally anything inside any tank.

The last thing I have to say is, you probably won't find many people with frogfish living 2+ years. A lot of people get them, but get them because they're cool looking and don't set up dedicated species only tanks for them. They tend to get them, throw them in a full blown reef tank, with corals, etc. and just hope things work out. Or they end up getting them as an afterthought and throw them in a sump. To be honest, in those situations I wouldn't expect them to last longer than a few months or so. I've always gone about it the opposite way and made the tank for the frogfish. A lot of the posts you see will have them housed with stinging corals, nems, etc. or even other fish. If they're being injured and harassed they probably won't live a very long life either.

It's all good I just love talking frogs :D if I had the time money and resources I would study this fish and I mean disect the fish

I know what ya mean on the time keeping of them......if you make it 2 weeks your looking ok......make it a month your doing good.....make it that 3 month mark and your looking better......but then S.A.D.S. wish we knew more about where it comes from.

out of the ones I had like I said before one was S.A.D.S from stress I think, #2 was fin rot, #3 was a fire, #4 was a strange worm that came out of its mouth after it died it ate a squirrelfish that it spit up the day before at the LFS, and #5 I think had to do with a sick damsel, and some worm ......and my uv went out 3 weeks before :)

So iam gonna try again cause the fish is just to cool not too, I feel I know the basic frog care just wondering if theirs a more experienced care for them? Such as tank temps fluctuation? Carbonate hardness, calcium issues? Diet? etc.

Post some pics of yours in the "show us your anglers" thread

It's all good I just love talking frogs :D if I had the time money and resources I would study this fish and I mean disect the fish

I know what ya mean on the time keeping of them......if you make it 2 weeks your looking ok......make it a month your doing good.....make it that 3 month mark and your looking better......but then S.A.D.S. wish we knew more about where it comes from.

out of the ones I had like I said before one was S.A.D.S from stress I think, #2 was fin rot, #3 was a fire, #4 was a strange worm that came out of its mouth after it died it ate a squirrelfish that it spit up the day before at the LFS, and #5 I think had to do with a sick damsel, and some worm ......and my uv went out 3 weeks before :)

So iam gonna try again cause the fish is just to cool not too, I feel I know the basic frog care just wondering if theirs a more experienced care for them? Such as tank temps fluctuation? Carbonate hardness, calcium issues? Diet? etc.

Post some pics of yours in the "show us your anglers" thread

Please,please post on how you do with this one.I love to read your threads an posts.

Archived