ReefCleaners.org

Sublunary's 12 Gallons - reborn

sublunary

Aw, what's going on with yours Mark? Last update I saw things were looking pretty good...

Ugh, I just do not know what to do with my hi fin goby. I went to change the filter floss before doing a water change, and found him in the top part of my media basket, under the floss, out of the water, and looking very dead. I scooped him into the display and was SO relieved to see him start swimming and looking only a little beaten up.

Not 2 minutes later, I hear splashing and he's stuck between the surface skimmer and the intake. So I rescue him again.

Now he's hanging out in a corner, and every few minutes he's been swimming dangerously close to the overflow again. So I get up and chase him back down. His shrimp is standing at the door of their burrow waiting to welcome him home, and he's just not smart enough to go there.

Either that or he's suicidal.

Stupid fish.

cyano problems, tanks on auto pilot right now since i'm still working from home with the tank at school...

maybe qt for a few days? he could be stressed and needs to get out of the tank for a few days?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! I've been away from the site for a while. While I love my tank, it's been frustrating, and I haven't really been feeling the internet side of reefing for a while.

Figured I would pop in for a brief update while I'm here at the library. We made it through the storm ok, but lost power Tuesday night. My mother has been wonderful in letting me run the tank heater and return pump off the generator when we have it running. So for the past three days it's been cycling between running on a generator, resting with a blanket over it, and using a battery powered air pump that's sitting in a bucket with hot water bottles to try and keep the air temp up. We have two inverters which I was trying to use when the generator is off, but for some reason they aren't holding a charge at all. Sigh.

The biggest problem is of course keeping everything warm. The tank was down to 68 degrees at one point, before we found the extra blankets. Thankfully all of my fish and motile inverts have made appearances over the past day or so. I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but so far I haven't lost anything. Corals might be a different story, since they hadn't been doing so well lately anyway.

But what's important is this hasn't been a major heartbreaking disaster like last year's hurricane. I'm getting through, and my animals are ok.

I hope all of you are getting through this ok. I don't have time to check in on everyone's threads. I have been thinking about all of you a lot in the past week. Good luck to all of you without power. Hopefully I will be back soon with more updates.

Archived