ReefCleaners.org

Sublunary's 12 Gallons - reborn

sublunary

Ok pics! Not great ones. My damn camera refuses to white balance and I can't figure out why.

I'm still having algae problems. The wiry red stuff is annoying, but the green slime is worse. I siphon it out every few days and it's back again in no time. Peroxide holds it off for a bit, but it comes back quickly. I reduced feeding and spent a couple of days blacked out, but hasn't helped. Sigh. I bought a new test kit tho, so maybe there's something going on the old one wasn't picking up. I'm pretty sure it expired.

Blastos I got from the MA meet up. The larger one is purple, the smaller red.

blastos5-14-12.jpg

Trumpets from MA. I missed the candy canes from the last tank, so I just had to buy them.

trumpet5-14-12.jpg

ugh, just noticed the bubble algae and vermetid snail. More cleaning I need to do...

Frogspawn and duncans are still going strong.

frogspawnandduncan5-14-12.jpg

I <3 acans

topdownacans5-14-12.jpg

greencenteracans5-14-12.jpg

greencenters5-14-12.jpg

orangeacan5-14-12.jpg

I also love that the wine-colored coraline you can see here is the predominate color. I like it so much more than the regular purple.

Zoas

zoas5-14-12.jpg

The ones on the bridge are growing slowly, but they are growing. Just need to finish the algae off for good.

bridge5-14-12.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woah! thos are some sweet acans. the zoas are really nice too, and you have blue cloves! I managed to kill my cloves last time. lmk if you ever frag, cos I'd love to trade sometime.

Mark once things grow out and I try chopping them up, you'll be the first to know!

I got a LA order this week. Not too impressed with them, since they just split it into two shipments on two different days without asking. But it turned out ok.

I finally got my bumblebee shrimp!

Shrimp5-13-12.jpg

bumblebee5-18-12.jpg

They are even tinier than I expected. The green tube is about 1/4 inch in diameter.

Bumblebeeshimpscale5-18-12.jpg

I also decided to try another bimaculatus blenny. I had purchased one back in august, but only had it a few days before the hurricane. He has so much more personality than the other fish I have right now, I love it. He's been zipping around the tank, but always comes back to this spot to rest.

12.jpg

The crab who is peaking out below him is the HH who survived the crash. He almost never comes out, so it's nice to get a pic of him for a change.

Hopefully they will all be more cooperative in the coming days and I'll have some more in the tank pictures soon.

Those bumblebee shrimp are so cute and tiny :) I would be worried about never finding them in the tank again!

Also can't wait to see another pic of the blenny, I can't find him in that pic.. I think I'm just blind! :P

Yeah, he's kind of in a shadow there... That might be one of those pics where I only I can see it because I spent so much time staring at the real thing.

This one's blurry, but he's sticking his head out a bit more. I have about 200 pics that are just a grey blur swimming out of frame.

Blenny5-18-12.jpg

Damn those shrimp are tiny!!!

I'm thinking I might try another tailspot, blennies in general are really cool.

The blenny is still evading my camera, but I had a shrimp sighting!

shrimp5-24-12.jpg

I don't know why I'm such a sucker for animals that hide all the time. I guess it just makes it more exciting when I do get to see them.

Mark - Go for it! I keep hearing good things about tailspots. They seem like fun fish to have.

ReHype - Thanks! I feel like the top down shots come out looking the best. I just wish there were a way to get the rest of the tank without horrible glare from the lights.

it took me a while to find it lol. those things look even smaller in the tank! I know what you mean with all the hiding, my blood shrimp found himself a perch on the backside of my rock. I only ever see him during feeding time.

Yeah, he's tiny! I took that with my phone so I could get it before he disappeared. Too blurry to zoom in.

He decided to pose for me tonight tho, so hopefully you can see him here. :)

bumblebeeshrimp5-29-12.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello all! I haven't been online much. I graduated in the beginning of June and have been studying for the bar exam ever since. In less than a month, I will be done with that and can rejoin the world of normal people.

While the thread has been pretty neglected in the last month, my tank has not. I haven't added anything new, but I've kept up on maintenance and have really been enjoying taking breaks from studying to watch my fish.

There are a few problems I still need to fix. 1)That damned purple algae is still everywhere. It doesn't seem to be spreading, but I'd like to get rid of it. 2) The green cyano keeps coming back. I've tried daily siphoning, restricting food and blacking out, and nothing's helped yet. 3) My blenny is a little jerk and keeps chasing the clown gobies. They don't seem too bothered by it, but it annoys me. 4) Four out of my five acan frags have stopped inflating and eating. I think it's because the fish have been sitting on them - it's the only thing I can think of that would affect them and nothing else. I'm at a loss for how to fix it though.

Blenny showing off the damage

blennyandacans7-3-12.jpg

And clown goby contributing. You can see part of the healthy one at the bottom of the frame all inflated.

gobyandacana7-3-12.jpg

On the plus side, I did not kill my sympodium after all, and it's doing quite well.

sympodium7-3-12.jpg

The gorg frag from Kat is doing really well. Lots of new little branches!

gorgs7-3-12.jpg

And my shrimp and goby finally let me take some pictures of them.

ShrimpandGoby7-3-12.jpg

New FTS

FTS7-3-12.jpg

Actinic FTS

actinicFTS7-3-12.jpg

Side Shot

Side7-3-12.jpg

Congratulations Grad!!! And GL with the Bar Exam. The tank is looking good, my fav shot is the Goby and Shrimp :wub: , nice to see the gorg doing well. I moved mine and it closed up for 3 weeks due to low light. Hoping it will open up again soon.

The tank looks great! Do you just have the Hi Fin, clown goby, and Bimaculatus?

Thanks AM. Yep. 4 fish: Hi-Fin, 2 black clown gobies and bimaculatus blenny.

Thanks Kat! I'm sure it will soon, it took a while to start fully opening up for me. And I could fill the whole post with goby/shrimp pictures. It took me forever to narrow it down to just one, even though they are basically all the same.

• 1 month later...

Quick text update - my life has been crazy since I last posted. The bar exam was the last week in July. I survived, and I can't be happier it is over. Now that I don't have to study every day, I have time to do stuff for myself - like apply for jobs and take care of my reef. I spent last week in Disney with two of my best friends. It was utterly amazing (even if I did not get to see the giant tanks there) and I'm sad to be back.

My family did a good job watching over things. The powerstrip timer decided to die about 2 hours after I left, so they were switching the lights manually every day. It doesn't look like they over fed. There is actually less green slime now than there was when I left. My duncan seems to have sprouted 3 new heads. The acans still look bad, except for the one that still looks great. I have no idea what's going on with them. Everything else seems to be fine.

So today is water mixing day. Should be able to squeeze in a water change and some pictures tomorrow or Wednesday.

Are your 2 black clown gobies fighting? Everybody always says you can keep only one.

And we are overdue for a lady reefers brunch. I will not have one without you.

There is one that is clearly dominant, and the non-dominant one knows when to give up his perching spot. But the closest they come to fighting is getting into each others personal space. I know yellow clown gobies will kill each other...

And YES we are overdue for a brunch. This needs to happen and I will do everything I can to be there (just not this weekend).

Somehow I missed your July photo update! Looks great!!!!! Congrats on your success :) I hope this means more updates and photos for us!!!!!

Thanks gena! Hopefully it will mean more photos. All of my excuses have now expired!

Ugh, I just do not know what to do with my hi fin goby. I went to change the filter floss before doing a water change, and found him in the top part of my media basket, under the floss, out of the water, and looking very dead. I scooped him into the display and was SO relieved to see him start swimming and looking only a little beaten up.

Not 2 minutes later, I hear splashing and he's stuck between the surface skimmer and the intake. So I rescue him again.

Now he's hanging out in a corner, and every few minutes he's been swimming dangerously close to the overflow again. So I get up and chase him back down. His shrimp is standing at the door of their burrow waiting to welcome him home, and he's just not smart enough to go there.

Either that or he's suicidal.

Stupid fish.

Maybe he is scared and needs a burrow, try a piece of PVC where the shrimp is and try to push him in there. Once he gets comfortable, he might stop trying to find a place to hide which is what I think he is trying to do. You can always cover the PVC with rubble.

Archived