SaltCritters.com

Algaefix working! Finally

boscoT

Just wanted to start a thread on algaefix. Since setting up my two Bc14s my old neglected rock has been a pain in the ass!!!! This is rock from my old 150.

I have done everything to treat these tanks. Water is perfect! When I added my old rock to my bc14s algae went crazy

I finally decided to try algaefix.

First treatment yesterday and today I see that any of the green algae is going white and all the bubbles are starting to secrete some white slime stuff and the bubbles are deflating.

I have read that most results are noticed around the 5 to 7 dose range. So about two weeks. I picked Some brown wafer and it easily pulled off.

Looks like I may win this battle after all

Does it say reef safe?

I'd be worrying about coral health. Some of these algae treatment stuff contain metals like copper, that will kill inerts and coral.

Also, pics or it didn't happen!

From all my reading it says reef safe. I have read that prolonged use will effect cheato. I will snap some flicks tomorrow when lights are on.

I also read that soft corals zoas and leathers will close up a bit when treated but quickly recover. The active ingredient last about 24 hours so not long lasting.

I must say if all this algae slime is a sign of things to come, I should be algae free in a few weeks

AlgaeFix®

Sounds like it is safe for reefs. Like anything that treats symptoms, you must first treat the cause. However, sometimes you still need help once the cause has been addressed.

jumplittlechloe

i just started dosing as well. I will be on the second dose tomorrow. After the first dose I noticed that the hair algae started to recede back. I am also carbon dosing and currently have 0 nitrate and 0.04 phosphate as per red sea test kit. I have found that carbon dosing slows the growth, but algaefix seems to be causing the growing areas to finally show signs of die off.

it says dose every 3 days, so if i did my first dose Tuesday, Does it go tuesday, wednesday, dose thursday,

or is it dose tuesday, then wednesday, thursday dose friday?

I just dont want to add to much and wipe !@$#%^ out

It works well for diatoms and turf algae. It won't work on hair algae or bryopsis. I never noticed any problems with corals. Then again, I don't dose it for more than 3 weeks. I don't do the weekly dosing after the major dieoff. It will slow cheato.

• 3 weeks later...

well I have just finished my 5th treatment with algae fix. It is working. I have no new growth of algae. I have wiped out most of the algae and my brown wafer algae is almost completely gone.

I will post pics soon. I really hope to have no more algae issues in the next month or so. Then I can start stalking my tanks with coral. The brown wafer just flakes off now without issue, and nothing grows back.

Worked on mine too!

I just had some problems (i dont know if it was GHA) but peroxide was only temporarily solving things.

following the directions and by the 2nd dose....nada!

Archived