SaltCritters.com

High Density LED Build UPDATE

Trick

Here's some pics. i got some of the parts in and i'm beginning the build. I don't actually have all the led's on, but i just put some of them on to see what it would look like. Also, i put in a picture comparing the old fan to the knew larger and silent fan.

post-51842-1317895740_thumb.jpg

post-51842-1317895747_thumb.jpg

post-51842-1317895755_thumb.jpg

post-51842-1317895760_thumb.jpg

post-51842-1317895765_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103

Wow! This thing is going to be a cannon! My advice is to try it out with a PAR meter before mounting it over anything. With 40 degree optics, you might hit 200 PAR at five or six feet.... My much less focused rig with 60s hit 200 par at 42 inches through air so watch out! (I'm also only running stuff at 700 mAs, by the way)

Ok, most of the LED's i'm using are from http://www.ledgroupbuy.com . I decided to build a project like this because I liked the idea of having a small fixture that sits high over the tank all while throwing off adequate light and having good coloration at the same time. To accomplish this I would need the most power i could get in the smallest package at the best price since i don't have a large budget.

In order to put all these high output LED's in a small space i would need really good cooling, so i searched for the largest CPU heatsink i could find(a thermaltake server fan/sink). Heat pipes and active cooling are a must in this project since there are so many LED's being run close to their maximum capacity in a small space. Also, another member here stated that the stock fan on the CPU would most likely run very loud. He was right, it sounded like a small aircraft taking off. So i looked into a quieter fan and i found an excellent solution, an adapter that would mount a much larger fan to the heatsink from frozen cpu. I also found an absolutely silent fan that puts out the same airflow as the thermaltake fan.

Everything in this project is built upon the fact that I will be using 4 Cree NW XM-L's running at 2.67 amps (dimmable of course) which i purchased at LEDGroupBuy.com. In order to balance out the color I'm using 15 XP-E Royal blues and 2 XR-E Cool Blues. I did search for the elusive royal blue luxeon rebel es's but i could not find them in a 3-up pattern or at an affordable price, otherwise i would have used those. Milad at LEDgroupbuy.com really has the best price for one-up stars(that i could find), and they were more than enough so i used those.

That being said, if i had a larger budget and a mansion i would be using 45 LED Emiters in a 3-up pattern with 10-30 degree optics and the light would be hidden/recessed in a ceiling maybe 20-30 feet above a larger rimless tank. ( i can dream right?)

Looks great! You really do not need a huge heatsink/huge fan as long as you have some sort of fan blowing across the heatsink. I've made a few of these 48up boards for people...

e77eecad.jpg

A few things for you to watch out for...

One hot spot in your tank. While the readings will be unreal you will need to tone it down a lot! When I did PAR testings, it could not even read with just the blues on! I'm sure yours will be in the same boat. Also the spread will be very concentrated. If this is going on a larger tank possibly keep the optics off.

Anyways keep it up!

-Dave

I designed it to be about the same as the AI Phoenix powerwise, but in a much smaller package. With the 40 degree optics i plan on having it hang at least 2 feet above my 39 gal tank.

Trick - Try 3-4'

-Dave

Do you think i could use 6pin telephone wire to go from my project box to the fixture? it would be about 7-9feet. I was thinking the amperage might be too high for wire to handle...

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Do you think i could use 6pin telephone wire to go from my project box to the fixture? it would be about 7-9feet. I was thinking the amperage might be too high for wire to handle...

Too high for telephone wire

Go to your local electronic store and they have all kinds of connectors you could use that are designed to carry power.

Too high for telephone wire

Go to your local electronic store and they have all kinds of connectors you could use that are designed to carry power.

speaker wire it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments, it helps! Unfortunately i've already got all the LED's attached to the heatsink so i'm going to have to pull off two of the XM-L's before i can replace them with the Cool White XM-L's. Any tips on taking off an LED that has already been glued on with thermal adhesive would be great.

Archived