Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoanthid hammer/frogspawn thingy

NoChikenStrips

these are double skirt zoas. you can google and find other members with these. i think BRK or BRS is hisname, i think i saw it on his thread too.

anyway so you can name these pretties after me since i helped identify and i would be open to accepting a frag or two as thanks.

as for rest of the posters, TAKE A NUMBER

superb picture too. well done.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoChikenStrips
Made it onto advancedaquarist.com, so must be cool =0)

wow!... ey yay!!!!

these are double skirt zoas. you can google and find other members with these. i think BRK or BRS is hisname, i think i saw it on his thread too.

anyway so you can name these pretties after me since i helped identify and i would be open to accepting a frag or two as thanks.

Thank you very much for the info. My friend is a photographer and these pictures belong to him.

-------

Again, many apologies to everyone as i know a lot of people want some of these. For the time being, i am only dealing locally at $5 per polyp. Shame on me.

Happy Wednesday

It's not the double skirts that is unique, it's the forked tentacles on the inner skirt.

NoChikenStrips

new pics, enjoy :)

20110906-DSC_0157.jpg

20110825-20110825-DSC_1344.jpg

FREE PETCO ZOAS. These guys have also started sprouting! WEIRD!!!!!!!!!

111111111111111.jpg

Courtesy of Mr. Vu Tran <---camera man/editing.

Camera; Nikon D90, sigma 17-70mm

Edited with Adobe Lightroom.

Maybe zoas are always like this, it's just that we've never noticed them in a super macro image.

No... They are never like this... You have a very cool morph there... If I was you... Id give them to me. :D All joking aside you have something special there, I wouldnt sell any... Just because its so unique. Even tho I really want to buy some B)

NoChikenStrips
Is Mr. Vu Tran from Southern California?

Mr. Vu Tran is from/in Nebraska. LOL

What lights are you using over this tank?

He has a $65 Odysea 4 bulb 24" over it. Running for 4 months.

Blue +

stock white

stock blue

Blue +

FREE PETCO ZOAS. These guys have also started sprouting! WEIRD!!!!!!!!!

111111111111111.jpg

So wait, other completely different zoas in the same tank have now also shown the mutation? Wow, wtf are you feeding these things?!

NoChikenStrips
So wait, other completely different zoas in the same tank have now also shown the mutation? Wow, wtf are you feeding these things?!

can you feed zoas? :lol:

He feeds his Goniopora phytoplankton. Rod's original for the LPS. So thats what's in the water column for the zoas to filter i guess.

Jokes aside about how many people are interested, you should think carefully about how you manage the distribution of this. You've mentioned $5/polyp, but I expect people would pay at least 10x that amount. And if you were to prove that these could be fragged and develop this mutation in another tank, then probably more than that.

I can guarantee that someone you sell this to cheaply will do exactly that - turn this into the next 'designer' zoa and make money from it. If I were you I would beat them to the punch and do so yourself.

I can see this now.

~brings a friend over who's a non reefer to look at the tank~

I paid 20 bucks for that polyp!

...okay, why?

Well, you can't really see it, but if you look through this camera, or microscope. Here... I'll just show you a picture on the internet of what the tentacles look like

...why would you pay 20 dollars for something you can't see?

Because its... umm... cool?

~~~~~~~~~~

My god, why create designer corals every ten minutes. Sure, its neat. But really. 1) he doesn't know if it would happen in others tanks. 2) its his friends tank. 3) you can't really see the differences unless you had a giant colony of it I'm sure.

now you get to hear the 'I remember when' When I first started reefing, something like that would have been passed around at frag meetings (yes, meetings, not swaps) for max 5 bucks. Even if it was cool. But that was also when you could get colonies for 60 bucks. (I fondly remember my first coral-a galaxea colony the size of a base ball mitt. not a base ball. the mitt.)

I can see this now.

~brings a friend over who's a non reefer to look at the tank~

I paid 20 bucks for that polyp!

...okay, why?

Well, you can't really see it, but if you look through this camera, or microscope. Here... I'll just show you a picture on the internet of what the tentacles look like

...why would you pay 20 dollars for something you can't see?

Because its... umm... cool?

~~~~~~~~~~

My god, why create designer corals every ten minutes. Sure, its neat. But really. 1) he doesn't know if it would happen in others tanks. 2) its his friends tank. 3) you can't really see the differences unless you had a giant colony of it I'm sure.

now you get to hear the 'I remember when' When I first started reefing, something like that would have been passed around at frag meetings (yes, meetings, not swaps) for max 5 bucks. Even if it was cool. But that was also when you could get colonies for 60 bucks. (I fondly remember my first coral-a galaxea colony the size of a base ball mitt. not a base ball. the mitt.)

Meh...oldsters and their old time stories.

Archived