Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoafreak's 10g college tank

Zoafreak

yeah... FML

I have and over flow box and stuff but it is a a little late to do that now that i have my tank set up.

it's funny that you mention the aqua trader's fuge... cause i have the exact same one and it was on my original setup and I just gave it to my boss, in hopes that he makes them to sell so i can get a bunch cheap :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow Chaeto grows like none other.... I'm ripping half off and bringing it to my tank at home and with some other i'm giving it to one of my professors :D bonus points

I put in $215 worth of corals yesterday. All zoanthids. Some purple deaths, Fire and Ice, two kinds of awesome neons, blue tubs, and a bunch of other random ones.

some of my zoanthids won't open :( the only ones that are doing this are ones that i recently put in. I hope i acclimated them enough. params are good. but salinity changes alot cause i get a crap load of evaporation with an open top.

I put on my HOB refugium from aquatraders that i had in storage. It looks like most of my new corals will live, blue tubs came out today, and purple deaths

Haha it's not bad compared to my camera's pics....is that the skimmer + fuge version? And are you gonna get a bubble trap on that too? I think you could modify the return pipe pretty easily to let bubbles escape befor they get back into your tank

Haha it's not bad compared to my camera's pics....is that the skimmer + fuge version?

---Yes

And are you gonna get a bubble trap on that too?

---Comes with one

I think you could modify the return pipe pretty easily to let bubbles escape befor they get back into your tank

---That sounds like a good idea!!! that you help with the 3/4 cups evaporation per day!!

Where all the zoas at?

lol i have like 15 different frags in there i'll take some macro pics when they all perk up or die

Well had a bad day today. My RA comes in the room and does a safety inspection. Of course i fail it, because of my fish tank. I get a $50 fine and i have to fix it. The problem was that i can't have my electrical wire running under a door... but also I'm not allowed to have cords chilling on the floor. The solution is to buy $40 cord protectors that you can get at my book store... it's a flipping rip off. 2ft for $40... the other solution is to hang the cords on the ceiling... WTF? isn't that worse??

Anyways my RA unplugged my tank, and i just plugged it back in when he left, but my protein skimmer's air tube reversed the flow and the water started falling to the ground, and i happend to be out because i was so pissed. I get a call from a friend who just happens to stop by cause he forgot his wallet in my room and says, "um your tank is leaking" I rush over and 3 inches of water from my tank had disappeared and was on the floor, carpet that is... It was a great day...

Well had a bad day today. My RA comes in the room and does a safety inspection. Of course i fail it, because of my fish tank. I get a $50 fine and i have to fix it. The problem was that i can't have my electrical wire running under a door... but also I'm not allowed to have cords chilling on the floor. The solution is to buy $40 cord protectors that you can get at my book store... it's a flipping rip off. 2ft for $40... the other solution is to hang the cords on the ceiling... WTF? isn't that worse??

Anyways my RA unplugged my tank, and i just plugged it back in when he left, but my protein skimmer's air tube reversed the flow and the water started falling to the ground, and i happend to be out because i was so pissed. I get a call from a friend who just happens to stop by cause he forgot his wallet in my room and says, "um your tank is leaking" I rush over and 3 inches of water from my tank had disappeared and was on the floor, carpet that is... It was a great day...

As an RA I would say that I would talk to your RED/HD about it to see what they can do to help you, that is a great deal of their job believe it or not. Hanging the cords from the ceiling should 100% be an enforceable fire code violation so I would avoid that one just like you did. Pro tip: Never buy from your campus bookstore if you can avoid it and it's something you don't need to get from there, almost always go off campus.

About the skimmer, that sucks and I've only ever heard that happen a few times but it sounds like quite the sight to see.

Sorry to hear that man...your RA sounds like a total idiot. And you might wanna cover up the spot that the saltwater got on.....that stuff messes up carpet big time. Even worse is when you leave it in too long, it soaks into the wood and warps it, which is pretty much permanent.

As an RA I would say that I would talk to your RED/HD about it to see what they can do to help you, that is a great deal of their job believe it or not. Hanging the cords from the ceiling should 100% be an enforceable fire code violation so I would avoid that one just like you did. Pro tip: Never buy from your campus bookstore if you can avoid it and it's something you don't need to get from there, almost always go off campus.

About the skimmer, that sucks and I've only ever heard that happen a few times but it sounds like quite the sight to see.

well I had to fix it at that moment cause he was like, i'll come back tomorrow sometime and check and it could be at 12:01 and then you will get a fine. and I was just about to leave for my dorm retreat... and definitely knew about that...

We have carpet so there is a large ring of salt where the water was... lol. I'm still pretty pissed about it.

I may post some pics of how i hung my cords if i get around to it. I'm getting pretty lazy :P

• 2 weeks later...

small update today.

Got a horn goby, it's awesome. it will sit on your hand, lol.

Also my dang refugium's bulk head on the out flow was found cracked along with a few gallons of water on the floor....

Got a horned goby yesterday, well that's what the LFS said it was... Anyways it's flipping sweet because it will sit on your hand!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's a pic of my home drilled acrylic box with some Chaeto in it. I walked into my LFS and talked about macro's for a while and they gave me some for free :D

post-66860-1316107567_thumb.jpg

I have been using this simple makeshift refugium and my levels are fine. Most of all, I have noticed that the pods in my tank had increased.

BTW, loving ya tank

OK Major update, but no pictures yet because I can't figure out how to get all my pictures onto the computer because of my new OS.

Anyways...

My tank consists of:

Ocellaris clowns x2

Fire Shrimp

Horned goby

Birds nest

some green Acro

lots of zoanthid frags

-fire and ice

-blue tubs

-radioactive dragon's eye

-eagle eyes/watermelons (can't tell the difference...)

green palys

purple death palys

small ball of chateo

I also started another 20g L tank mainly for growing frags

It has a aquaclear filter as a fuge, and a fluval 205.

Lighting is a 150w MH with 2 blue actinic lights, and 4 blue LEDS. On the fuge i bought a 30 par LED from meijers, lol. It is ballin.

And my tank at my house got fried by my heater so i had to redo that tank. It jsut so happend that the store i went to was moving so... I found a twin spot hogfish for $25, Purple fire fish for $20, and Clowns for $12, snails for 89 cents and crabs for 89 cents :D i also saw a panther grouper go for $23... my goodness.

Archived