Top Shelf Aquatics

New LED Lighting Fixture Design

chippwalters

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't read every single post in here, but couldnt you make your light fixtures with small fans built into the FACE of the fixtures (where the LEDs are) that aim towards the water and cool it down? Just a thought.

Sure, it's possible. But supposed someone already has lighting and wants a fan to keep their Pico cool? Still, I might have to think about this for awhile,

^I think that might just heat up the water, as you'd end up cooling the heatsink even more, but the hot air gets pushed into the water. And plus is there's going to be some sort of splashguard, then it wouldn't really be possible.

The metal enclosure acts as a huge heat sink. The majority of the heat from the LEDs come out the back of it on onto the enclosure, which does get warm.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Pete,

Well, of course I build the final one, pictured above, for my own tank. But it's a one-of-a-kind unit, and the costs for creating more like it were pretty expensive. I believe the enclosure alone was over $100. Still, there was zero tooling costs and the result was quite professional. And, it works great! Maybe too much light?

• 1 month later...
Hi Pete,

Well, of course I build the final one, pictured above, for my own tank. But it's a one-of-a-kind unit, and the costs for creating more like it were pretty expensive. I believe the enclosure alone was over $100. Still, there was zero tooling costs and the result was quite professional. And, it works great! Maybe too much light?

I'd gladly buy something like that for around 100. It's sharp!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Some of you may be familiar with some sketches I've been doing on Pico Reef tank designs at:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280360

Turns out there are no lighting fixtures for Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED fixtures for small tanks, or for the newly released stunners which come in longer lengths. This got me thinking there should be a 'modular light fixture kit' which could work for a variety of tanks, both big and small. Here's a first try at this. Please let me know what you think. If there's enough interest I may want to try and KickStart this one.

Awesome designs ! Wow !

Archived