Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

pbjelly's 14g biocube

pbjelly

Following! Is that what you got from MA today?

Yes - after an hour of wandering around with my nose pressed up against the glass. It's so easy to go bananas in there, but I promised myself that I would try to be good - so only one frag allowed today - and a 900 pound box of water. My God, those things weigh a ton!

Did you see they knocked down the live rock tank? I forgot to ask what they were putting in it's place.

Damn! That happened to me. How do I fix it? I tried to reverse it and all but it just would not align properly.

In the stupid drawing they show the top and bottom hinges attached with the flange facing into the stand, but that metal part is supposed to lay flush on top of the door, not sticking out. It took me forever to figure it out.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can fix it without taking the thing apart - plus, you can't tell when you look at it from the front anyway :happy:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've ordered from them before, they usually have a couple small rock fragments they're attached to, If possible take the rock out and glue the rics down, I waited a few days for my rics to naturally attach, but I was too impatient and ended up supergluing them to some rocks/frag plugs

Thanks - I wish I could take the rocks out, but unfortunately I can't. The limitations of my scape are becoming quite obvious to me.

Do you think if I attached the rics naturally or with glue to some frag plugs that I could then just rest those on the rock, or do the plugs need to get glued down too?

Builder Anthony

glueing them down is a waste of time they will move eventually.Then you will have nothing but a frag plug to look at.I wouldnt even add any plugs since they look like crap in tanks.Another reason for not glueing them down is you might not have them in a good location.It actually looks like the ric you have is on a small peice of rock which is good because they dont uasuly let go of things if they like it.Still finding a loction for it is going to be in your intreests.

My first coral - an orange ricordia florida 5 minutes after I got it settled in the tank.

Congratulations! I look forward to more pics!

Me too!

I like following new tank threads. :)

Thnx for checking it out. - Hopefully someday this will be an old tank thread. ;)

Lots of news in my little 14 gallon world.

2v9t2j5.jpg

My Coral Morphologic order arrived - and everything looks beautiful. Colin even included a couple of extras that are just gorgeous.

The ric's are in ric prison until they attach their feet to something and stop blowing around. The funniest part of having this box smack dab in the middle of my tank is watching the other inmates try to break IN to jail.

I'm not sure about the mushroom placement. I thought I had a plan but I was thinking I would get one little lone mushroom. This is so cool that I have to figure out how to show it off.

fohjbm.jpg

My first attempt involved me jamming the shell into a crevice in the rock.

It looked great until somebody climbed on it and dropped the poor shrooms on their faces. So until I figure it out, it will sit on the rock where I hope to transplant the rics.

Those are really nice mushrooms...but they still scare me :lol:

I had a 7 gal a while ago that got overtaken by these really ugly purple mushrooms.

I like your tank though will be following. Looking forward to seeing those ricordea in the scape.

My fans are dying!!!! - ALREADY! AAAARGH!!!

Can someone tell me if I've found the right fan adapter? I think for the bc14's it would be "D" But I can't remember from my last foray under the hood.

14jpbbl.jpg

I found some Evercool 50X50X10MM BALL BEARING FAN DC 12V on the same site that I'm thinking of getting. I'm trying to keep it simple...

So annoyed right now.

No going topless for me!

Aside from scaring the neighbors, between the dog hair and the dust, my tank would be a mud pit in no time at all.

Thnx for checking it out. - Hopefully someday this will be an old tank thread. ;)

Lots of news in my little 14 gallon world.

2v9t2j5.jpg

My Coral Morphologic order arrived - and everything looks beautiful. Colin even included a couple of extras that are just gorgeous.

The ric's are in ric prison until they attach their feet to something and stop blowing around. The funniest part of having this box smack dab in the middle of my tank is watching the other inmates try to break IN to jail.

I'm not sure about the mushroom placement. I thought I had a plan but I was thinking I would get one little lone mushroom. This is so cool that I have to figure out how to show it off.

fohjbm.jpg

My first attempt involved me jamming the shell into a crevice in the rock.

It looked great until somebody climbed on it and dropped the poor shrooms on their faces. So until I figure it out, it will sit on the rock where I hope to transplant the rics.

whoa what are those shrooms called?? they're awesome looking!

The 'shrooms are 'Super Red Discosoma' from Coral Morphologic. They sell them a la carte,

2d8135y.jpg

From the site -

Size: 1” in diameter when fully expanded

Lighting: Low-Medium

Aquacultured: Yes

Feeding: Not necessary, other than proper light and balanced water chemistry

Water movement: Low-Medium

Aggression: Low, should be kept away from other corals to prevent being stung

Notes: A very fluorescent red morph of the Indo-Pacific Discosoma

The guys at Coral Morphologic were really great to deal with - and the shipping was fabulous. The corals came in beautifully packed. They were mad as hell - but safe and healthy. Until I got my hands on them...

These guys got super pissed when I dropped them flat on their faces by accident - their insides started bubbling out of their mouths - I almost had a heart attack.

Everybody's giving me agita today.

My ricordia decided to play 'let's freak out the newbie' today by either puking out it's guts in a horrible final death throe. OR taking the biggest poop ever (proportionally speaking of course).

I came home to this:

34o321x.jpg

I've got these guys in a box trying to get them to grab hold of some pebbles so that I can attach them to my display rock. One of them settled in immediately, two others took a few days to get comfy, the last one has been tumbling around like an extra in an old western. That's the one that I come home to see barfing that long @ss trail of crap. WTF? Water change yesterday, parameters all good, everything else in the tank looks happy...

Then I figure it out. It's poop.

Something's up with my turbo snail Sting.

After two months of pretty standard behavior, I've found him upside down three times in the last two days. He sat in the same spot for so long I though he was dead. Then an hour later, I looked in the tank and he was merrily scooting up the back wall. Tonight, upside down again.

The water's good, and everything else seems happy - I know it seems ridiculous, but I'm wondering if it's a sign that there's something wrong, or if my snail has just suddenly become an idiot.

Something's up with my turbo snail Sting.

After two months of pretty standard behavior, I've found him upside down three times in the last two days.

I check my tank every morning for the snails b/c the astreas and turbos cannot right themselves. Sometimes, my turbo tries to get around a piece of macro or tricky rock corner and ends up falling. If he lands on his back, he is out of luck 'til I get back. Even the nerite cannot get itself off its back -- only the nassarius, and they will just let go and drop from the top when they want to head home the fast way. Wonder if there is some particularly tasty bit of muck Sting is pursuing...

Any chance "he" has been laying eggs?

Snail is definitely wonky. Didn't move for more than two days. I decided it must be dead, but nothing was trying to eat it, so I tossed it in the pico. Sure enough, it moved enough during the night that I found it in the morning, well over on the other side - upside down again.

Last two days, maybe it's moved one inch.

On a different note, I got a rock covered in some kind of mini blue xenia or maybe blue cloves - I will post a pic when it opens up and stops being mad. It's lovely, but I saw a hint of a white claw underneath it. I freaked out because there is no way I will ever get a hitchhiker crab out of my tank given the rock I've got in there. So now, that coral is in the pico. At least if the crab ever comes out of hiding in there it can't lose itself in the rock work.

All I saw was white. What kinds of crabs are white? I'll see if I can get a pic of the thing.

On a different note, I got a rock covered in some kind of mini blue xenia or maybe blue cloves - I will post a pic when it opens up and stops being mad. It's lovely, but I saw a hint of a white claw underneath it. I freaked out because there is no way I will ever get a hitchhiker crab out of my tank given the rock I've got in there. So now, that coral is in the pico. At least if the crab ever comes out of hiding in there it can't lose itself in the rock work.

All I saw was white. What kinds of crabs are white? I'll see if I can get a pic of the thing.

I've seen bunches of posts on white crabs -- so far, mine that have looked white have turned out to be crabs with whitish hair plus small dabs of color, but I swear I've seen a wholly white crab at least once! One of the crabs turned out to be a gorilla, one a sally lightfoot (nimble spray), and the last is either a nimble spray or if I am really lucky an anemone crab. I've gotten a few out of the tank using club soda -- this has not hurt coral, but I don't think I'd risk blue coral -- that's so cool!

30ts4ma.jpg

I'm not sure what this is exactly. Some kind of xenia and maybe clove polyps I think. If anyone knows it's real name I'd love to find out.

The crab is living somewhere inside the rock.

It's amazing after the ride home in the bag and the coral rx dip, it's apparently fine.

I really want this in my nano at the moment, but I keep reading that most crabs are pests that people want to get out of their tanks. If this guy gets loose in this tank there is no way I can get him out without dismantling the whole thing - so into the pico it goes.

2yuzple.jpg

You can also see the difference between trying to shoot through the glass of the biocube and the plastic of the pico.

I don't know a scientific name but I've always seen them referred to as Blue Cloves.

That rock isn't very big and looks like it'd be pretty easy to break. I would grab a screwdriver and hammer and break it up. You'll probably find your HH crab pretty easily that way too. You can then have some cloves in the pico and some in the BC.

30ts4ma.jpg

I'm not sure what this is exactly. Some kind of xenia and maybe clove polyps I think. If anyone knows it's real name I'd love to find out.

Wow, that is so pretty!

Archived