Coral Vue Hydros

taking coral from hawaii

Rosti

Yeah I was really sad when I went. we were supposed to go snorkeling but I couldnt deal with all the people trying to chase after somthing they saw in the water they thought was pretty. I feel like our oceans are a thing of beauty. not something to be peddled for quick profit (although i know a lot of stuff we purchase...) We actually left a day early because of the dunk college students in the next suite over from ours... Maybe I will go back and let you show me around some day so I can get the real idea of what Hawaii is about.. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lmao

Where do you think almost all of the live stock for sale in this industry comes from?

i know...and its why i go for aquacultured animals, especially fish.

i used to work at an LFS, our owner decided to splurge and try and raise our image by getting some real showstoppers. a 12" french angel and queen angel. they were some of the most beautiful animals i have ever seen. they lived 3 days in captivity. there was nothing i could do but sit through my shift trying to do my best to comfort them knowing they were dropping fast.

things like that are wrong in my opinion, i try not to hold anyone to my standards but myself but that was hard to sit through.

i know...and its why i go for aquacultured animals, especially fish.

i used to work at an LFS, our owner decided to splurge and try and raise our image by getting some real showstoppers. a 12" french angel and queen angel. they were some of the most beautiful animals i have ever seen. they lived 3 days in captivity. there was nothing i could do but sit through my shift trying to do my best to comfort them knowing they were dropping fast.

things like that are wrong in my opinion, i try not to hold anyone to my standards but myself but that was hard to sit through.

Out of what you have, how much would you say is aqua cultured?

let me revise what I am saying.....

im not planning on bringing a 100 gallon tank to fill with corals.

if i find like some zoas or so i want to take like a little piece maybe like 1-5 heads.

you guys are making it seem like i am going to destroy the ocean,while you do the same as most of your guys fish are wild caught.(im not saying everyone's are,but a high percentage are)and fish cant re grow but corals can re grow a head or 2 in no time in the ocean.

let me revise what I am saying.....

im not planning on bringing a 100 gallon tank to fill with corals.

if i find like some zoas or so i want to take like a little piece maybe like 1-5 heads.

you guys are making it seem like i am going to destroy the ocean,while you do the same as most of your guys fish are wild caught.(im not saying everyone's are,but a high percentage are)and fish cant re grow but corals can re grow a head or 2 in no time in the ocean.

Wow I really don't want to get on my highhorse but your diver and you said this above?

I mean I try to buy captive bred and ram raised anytime I can, and I know my hobby is helping the destruction of reefs, but thats kinda where I draw the line, taking from the ocean just expands so much more destruction in this hobby

One thing I love about diving is actually getting out into what I wish I had and it makes sense to want to take some of that to save some dollars or to have that item you just found, but man I have to give a big thumbs down to this all together

P.S> Dont get caught taking corels out of Hawiann waters let alone get caught lkeaving Hawaii in the agriculture screen, or when you get back to the mainlaind HUGE fines and most times travel restrictions

Out of what you have, how much would you say is aqua cultured?

as i said, most important to me is that the fish be captive bred, and all of mine are (along with every fish i have ever bought fresh or salt).

i dont think some harvesting is wrong, but it needs to be carefully controlled and ensured to be sustainable. tourists taking whatever they please is certainly not controlled or sustainable.

most importantly, as in my example i think its particularly wrong to take out livestock that has an extremely low survival rate like large angels.

to OP im not bashing you, this turned into more of a philosophical debate...

yeah i agree,but like i said,i don't have a mindset of taking anything big,just a few heads of zoas and that's IF i find any.

Somewhere else it wouldnt be a big deal with the law, but in Hawaii it is SUPER illegal and they will federally bone you pretty hard. And I say that disregarding any moral issues (Which in this case I think taking something straight from the ocean and buying something wild caught from the LFS are one in the same). You can not legally take anything rom Hawaii.

Yeah I was really sad when I went. we were supposed to go snorkeling but I couldnt deal with all the people trying to chase after somthing they saw in the water they thought was pretty. I feel like our oceans are a thing of beauty. not something to be peddled for quick profit (although i know a lot of stuff we purchase...) We actually left a day early because of the dunk college students in the next suite over from ours... Maybe I will go back and let you show me around some day so I can get the real idea of what Hawaii is about.. :)

Anytime. Sorry, a lot of the sarcasm and humor is lost in these quick posts. I'm just kidding around. i was going to say "white trash capital of the country" but thought that may come off as racist even though i could pass for a skinhead (not by choice of course) but am far from it. as with anywhere you travel. go where the locals go, not where there are masses or tourists. then again, its usually safer to stay with the tourists. there are places you really shouldn't go.

yeah i agree,but like i said,i don't have a mindset of taking anything big,just a few heads of zoas and that's IF i find any.

Id hate to say it buddy, but historically, thats the exact mindset the white man had when he came and stole our islands. Same goes for the native american indians and any indigenous culture that was lucky enough to be touched by the white man. :)

anything soft is generally ok.(zoas/alage) ANYTHING WITH ROCK/ HARD CORALS/ INVERTS IS A BIG BIG NONO. just a general rule of thumb out there. ;)

anything soft is generally ok.(zoas/alage) ANYTHING WITH ROCK/ HARD CORALS/ INVERTS IS A BIG BIG NONO. just a general rule of thumb out there. ;)

sorry to the poster but this is a very bad rule of thumb...

heres a better one: DO THIS AND GO TO JAIL!

regardless of moral whatever if you take ANYTHING from the ocean or beach then you can get jail time, if its living then you can get smacked under two sets of laws.

trust me...im sitting in class at law school...we've talked about this :happy:

Il be sure to take pics of anything I find with some underwater camera.

Hopefully I see something good,from people's inputs I have many doubts.

I have to assume that this post is a joke so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. As for Hawaii, all the charm of Cancun during sprink break (midwestern tourists + vomitting drunk children) but 3 times as expensive and 20% tips are expected rather than appreciated. I can't speak for living there so I'm sure there is a unique perspective.

It is a federal crime to harvest corals from US waters. Even the ugly ones. Even the ones that are easy to grow (softies). Even if you promise to take really really good care of them. Even if you only take a little bit. Even if you promise to aquaculture football fields of it and then return it. You should know this, and know not to even touch the corals if you have been through dive class (which I assume you have if you will be in a position to get at the corals).

I have to assume that this post is a joke so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. As for Hawaii, all the charm of Cancun during sprink break (midwestern tourists + vomitting drunk children) but 3 times as expensive and 20% tips are expected rather than appreciated. I can't speak for living there so I'm sure there is a unique perspective.

It is a federal crime to harvest corals from US waters. Even the ugly ones. Even the ones that are easy to grow (softies). Even if you promise to take really really good care of them. Even if you only take a little bit. Even if you promise to aquaculture football fields of it and then return it. You should know this, and know not to even touch the corals if you have been through dive class (which I assume you have if you will be in a position to get at the corals).

This is false ^.

This forum is a terrible place to look for any advice on collection. Laws vary from state to state. I don't know Hawaii's collection laws, but you won't get it on an airplane regardless and going to other people's homes and taking coral - even if it is legal - is disrespectful anyways. When I was younger I always loved the idea of collecting corals and fish for my aquarium. Unfortunately, in the overpopulated, polluted place we live in, this is not possible. I do occasionally and legally collect palythoa, zoanthids, and other corals and fish, however, abiding by my states laws.

Have fun in Hawaii though.

This is false ^.

This forum is a terrible place to look for any advice on collection. Laws vary from state to state. I don't know Hawaii's collection laws, but you won't get it on an airplane regardless and going to other people's homes and taking coral - even if it is legal - is disrespectful anyways. When I was younger I always loved the idea of collecting corals and fish for my aquarium. Unfortunately, in the overpopulated, polluted place we live in, this is not possible. I do occasionally and legally collect palythoa, zoanthids, and other corals and fish, however, abiding by my states laws.

Have fun in Hawaii though.

This is true. And pretty spot on.

Hawaii has special laws regarding almost any organic products going in or coming out. I went there last summer, and you couldnt even have a pineapple in your luggage without it being seized.

HecticDialectics

State law prohibits the breaking or damaging, with any implement, any stony coral from the waters of Hawaii, including any reef or mushroom coral. HAR 13-95-70

It is unlawful to take, break or damage, any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached. HAR 13-95-71

The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS 171-58.5, HRS 205A-44

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/coral_liverock.html

/endthread

It's pretty sad. A ridiculous amount of tourist, like 60 or 80%, come to Hawaii and don't leave Waikiki. You would definitely have a skewed view of Hawaii if you didn't explore. I can barely handle going into Waikiki to go surf.

i must say i would have lover to have seen hawaii back in the day ...you can really tell the beauty from what is still there to what it must have been before ..i like the natural verses the modern ..i would have loved to have someone from there to show me around ..we can acrosse some actual hawaiian surfer it was way to cool ...they cold flip in the air and land back on their boards ...we saw the sea turtles and stuff ...we went to waikiki for one day only ...it was cool but too many people ...i like to stick to the backroads

i must say i would have lover to have seen hawaii back in the day ...you can really tell the beauty from what is still there to what it must have been before ..i like the natural verses the modern ..i would have loved to have someone from there to show me around ..we can acrosse some actual hawaiian surfer it was way to cool ...they cold flip in the air and land back on their boards ...we saw the sea turtles and stuff ...we went to waikiki for one day only ...it was cool but too many people ...i like to stick to the backroads

To think about it makes me sad. The amount of change in my lifetime has been huge. Cant think about what it will be like when my children are grown. At least we can go to secret spots or other islands to get away.

Im going to smuggle some zoas into my luggage :)

I mean if people can smuggle weed onto planes there's no way I can't hide a jar or zoas

And yeah it has strict rules refering to the pineapple thing.

Last time we went,they made me throw my apply away >:|

Archived