SaltCritters.com

taking coral from hawaii

Rosti

anyone know if its legal?

like if you go into the ocean and bring a pair of scissors and frag yourself a piece and put it in a bag and into your pocket.

going to Hawaii in a few months so im wondering if i can come up on some free frags ;)

or will they not let me take them back with me on the plane?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone know if its legal?

like if you go into the ocean and bring a pair of scissors and frag yourself a piece and put it in a bag and into your pocket.

going to Hawaii in a few months so im wondering if i can come up on some free frags ;)

or will they not let me take them back with me on the plane?

you will go to jail lol! dont even try it. they have hardcore laws their. they cant even get some corals from lfs

Yeah it's illegal. I mean, the corals belong in the ocean as there isn't too much in the first place. I've thought about getting corals too and while snorkeling... yeah the ocean needs them more than my tank.

I saw some HANUS things going on in Hawaii when I was on vacation. We got off the beaten path where only the locals were. There was the most amazing sea life I've ever seen, and there were dudes with nets and bags scooping it up by the truckload. I didn't really get what they were doing at the time, a lot of it looked like it would kill the fish. Good luck to ya bra.

I know in almost every island in the Caribbean its highly illegal to take any part of coral out of the water, including dead corals... i've tried to take some dead coral as "shells" in the past and the captains of the charters always make me throw them back.

I've always wondered how and where people do collect the corals we see in lfs...

It's illegal. You probably won't find much depending where you are staying. You also have to go through two dept. of agriculture inspection scanners before you get on the plane. One for checked bags and one for carry ons.

Also the TSA scanner. Check alohacorals.com. That's about all we can get. Legally at least.

One pound or gallon a day. No visible life on it.

oh :/ hmm so sounds like i cant take anything.

we were going to go snorkeling and i know im bound to see some corals and i was just wondering.

but yeah its really strict over there.

last time i went i couldn't even bring an apple onto the plane.they made me throw it away before i was on my way back to cali.

you cant take anything from the ocean or the beach. regardless of if its dead or alive. even sand is illegal to take (those little bottles of sand in the gift shop...not real).

if you do and youre caught its a FELONY. thats right, no more voting for you, you cant own a gun and you can be put in prison for more than a year.

dont try it.

furthermore, its really bad to take things out of the ocean and you shouldnt want to do it anyway.

It's also bad luck. Hotels and post offices constantly get sand and rocks mailed back asking to return them because of the bad luck the people who take them run into. Seriously.

im staying at honolulu,at some hotel that has dolphin shows in the mornings.

il have to ask my parents a bit more.

wow,so nothing can be taken from there?

that sucks.

There's not much really nice stuff to take. There's much nicer stuff on the mainland. You have access to way better things in your area. Plus it would be a pain in the butt to keep it alive and try to bring it back.

im staying at honolulu,at some hotel that has dolphin shows in the mornings.

il have to ask my parents a bit more.

wow,so nothing can be taken from there?

that sucks.

Are you staying at the Ihilani?

hawaii is not the place it used to be, back in the day it was the coolest hangout in the world.... now its just a rundown tourist attraction.

hawaii is not the place it used to be, back in the day it was the coolest hangout in the world.... now its just a rundown tourist attraction.

Whoa whoa whoa Swamp Wars!!! that's some pretty harsh words coming from the trailer park capital of the country. Hawaii definitely isn't the place it used to be, but it's far from a rundown tourist attraction.

Whoa whoa whoa Swamp Wars!!! that's some pretty harsh words coming from the trailer park capital of the country. Hawaii definitely isn't the place it used to be, but it's far from a rundown tourist attraction.

my son and i took a trip over there lats year we really like it ...we snorkled just about every day ...some places are really crowded ..but you can still find the cool places ...the sparkling clear water and white sand ..the mountains and jungle plants ...i can deffinatly hang in hawaii ...would love to go back and tour the other islands ..my kinda fun !!!!

lmao

furthermore, its really bad to take things out of the ocean and you shouldnt want to do it anyway.

Where do you think almost all of the live stock for sale in this industry comes from?

didnt mean it like that and dont feel insulted... i was just over there last year and had a bad time is all... i would have rather gone to vegas! i felt like i didnt get to actually see hawaii but some "ocean themed" show everyone wanted to do everywhere i turned. i was expecting a real Lou ow and got some imitation of one so thats why i feel that way.

and whats wrong with living in a trailer park!? these floors will hold at least a 90g just fine! lol

my son and i took a trip over there lats year we really like it ...we snorkled just about every day ...some places are really crowded ..but you can still find the cool places ...the sparkling clear water and white sand ..the mountains and jungle plants ...i can deffinatly hang in hawaii ...would love to go back and tour the other islands ..my kinda fun !!!!

It's pretty sad. A ridiculous amount of tourist, like 60 or 80%, come to Hawaii and don't leave Waikiki. You would definitely have a skewed view of Hawaii if you didn't explore. I can barely handle going into Waikiki to go surf.

Archived