Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Oceanarium Project: Imaginarium

Deckoz2302

Glad to hear Miss Britt is doing better. Hope the house BS works out for you!

That tank is gonna be the shizz!!! Are you going to do the overflow in the middle of the tank???

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea the overflow will be offcentered at 2ftx 16inches. I'm glad she's doing alright also. The house stuff is already handled now(I got a call yesterday afternoon). Now I gotta worry about the wrong VIN on my coverages bull####

jedimasterben
Jedi I'll take a little bit more in depth look. Just as a side note though the ultra violets are 380nm which are still part of the spectrum used for photosynthesis. As far as the true violets - its not for the coloration but more toward peaking the spectrum to similarize it to a metal halide as most bulbs peak heavy in 420 and 440. So its growth purposes intended. Like I said I will take a further look - but I know for a fact I won't be using OCW or at lease in those numbers. Due to the red.

Ok, I was just trying to find you a bit better alternative to having so many violets. But seriously, with 60x 420's over the tank, unless the other LEDs are off or at 5% or so, you'll burn the f--- out of anything you put under it. I have 16x of them on my 55g, and I bleach SPS when I run them higher than 450mA (70%) or so.

And I found the chart I saw once long ago and finally foundit again:

spectrumcorals.jpg

380nm is still in the mix, yes, but they don't seem to be needed much. I was reading today that corals make a clear coating that protects them from UV, but not sure how far up the UV spectrum that goes. To be perfectly honest, I'd leave them out and get more true violet, as they are much more necessary than UV.

Thanks for that chart Ben - I had been looking for the same thing. Don't get me wrong when I say I will or won't do something - I appreciate all your thoughts and your one of maybe two or three people I would consider advice from regarding LED ratios(mainly cause I was one of the first running this many colors and my growth and coloration tells itself). However being as this is a much larger building that will need to cover 8x the area almost - I am considering a lot of different options but I want to make sure all areas are covered and that I don't do this twice. Regarding cost - I'm not so much worried about this as I am spread. If it takes more leds so I don't have a million shaddowed areas then it is what it is - I can always dim the channels. Just spread this time is #1

There are three basic points I'm going for with the build

-Radium bulb spectrum output

-T5 like spread

and the obvious low energy cost of LED and shimmer effect

jedimasterben
Thanks for that chart Ben - I had been looking for the same thing. Don't get me wrong when I say I will or won't do something - I appreciate all your thoughts and your one of maybe two or three people I would consider advice from regarding LED ratios(mainly cause I was one of the first running this many colors and my growth and coloration tells itself). However being as this is a much larger building that will need to cover 8x the area almost - I am considering a lot of different options but I want to make sure all areas are covered and that I don't do this twice. Regarding cost - I'm not so much worried about this as I am spread. If it takes more leds so I don't have a million shaddowed areas then it is what it is - I can always dim the channels. Just spread this time is #1

There are three basic points I'm going for with the build

-Radium bulb spectrum output

-T5 like spread

and the obvious low energy cost of LED and shimmer effect

Dude, I completely understand, this build will require ludicrous amounts of time, money, and work, so it's definitely gotta be good the first time! I'm doing some more research even still, and I also have ordered my LEDs for my tank - 6x XM-Ls, 24x Rebel ES, and about to add some cool blues since I found that graph!

So you want it to essentially match this:

radium20k.png

I can rework a few numbers here and there to match what you need. You could even mix CREE RB & Rebel ES RB to get a mix of 440-450nm and 455nm.

How are you going to hang them? What kind of heatsinks were you planning on? I'm already reworking the layout out in my head lol. I wish I had Adobe Illustrator at work so I could throw a design around!

Here's the idea for hanging - sorry its no sketch up

IMG_20120416_101808.jpg

But as far as mixing rebels and Crees I have been considering it to get a better curve overall. Your build is gonna be sweet. Sorry for the short response

With the angled heat sinks coverage should overlap and provide light from all sides and also help minimalize light spill

And as far as matching the radium yes essentially - except with the added peak in 420 and a slight peak at 660. As you said though I will probably leave the 380nm out.

Heat sinks will probably be 12x16 and the fixture hung diagonally over the tank

Haha Spiro...yea that's what I'm going for.....a jawdropper and conversation piece when family & friends come over. Lol plus this might just be me. But once again I've always loved seeing Christmas trees in bay windows....I can't even imagine how awesome this will look in the bay window from the front of the house at night lol

jedimasterben
Here's the idea for hanging - sorry its no sketch up

IMG_20120416_101808.jpg

But as far as mixing rebels and Crees I have been considering it to get a better curve overall. Your build is gonna be sweet. Sorry for the short response

With the angled heat sinks coverage should overlap and provide light from all sides and also help minimalize light spill

And as far as matching the radium yes essentially - except with the added peak in 420 and a slight peak at 660. As you said though I will probably leave the 380nm out.

Heat sinks will probably be 12x16 and the fixture hung diagonally over the tank

That should be pretty badass! I'm drooling just looking at the drawing!

I just emailed Steve about getting some neutral white Rebels, he said they are about two weeks out. Should be about 300lm each at 1A, and may be a good alternative to XM-Ls as they will give you a better light spread since you'd need more to match the luminous output. Will have to wait for pricing to figure out if it's better though. I will be trying to make some graphs to see what mixing 440-450nm and 442-455nm would do. You'd cover a ginormous chunk of photosynthetic spectrum!

I think I'm actually looking forward to yours more than I am mine!!

Your plans sound amazing! Way over my head...but totally amazing :)

You should make a side job of building these things for people!!!!!

That should be pretty badass! I'm drooling just looking at the drawing!

I just emailed Steve about getting some neutral white Rebels, he said they are about two weeks out. Should be about 300lm each at 1A, and may be a good alternative to XM-Ls as they will give you a better light spread since you'd need more to match the luminous output. Will have to wait for pricing to figure out if it's better though. I will be trying to make some graphs to see what mixing 440-450nm and 442-455nm would do. You'd cover a ginormous chunk of photosynthetic spectrum!

I think I'm actually looking forward to yours more than I am mine!!

Good looking out ben. And yea now you got the goal in mind - cover photosynthesetic range then add turquoise for color. The rebel whites may be a good option to increase spread just gotta be able to crank them up to overpower everything else to provide a 6-8k high noon for 3 hours - ever since I started doing this with my current set up my colors and growth have increased dramatically. So being able to dial up the whites to get a high noon without dialing down the other colors is something I feel that is important - especially since everyone and they're mothers brother knows 6k has the fastest growth.

Wow this is getting pro beyond pro in here!

I'll sit back and learn!

Lol thanks twan - you do realize that this idea is a combined idea of form. Hype for making me love cubes. Tron for making me wanna got SPS crazy. Urbanek, siwelk and yourself for just immaculate attention to detail. And everyone who has supported me this far with help and answers to my questions

Your plans sound amazing! Way over my head...but totally amazing :)

You should make a side job of building these things for people!!!!!

+1 B)

Haha gena....I wish ;p not enough of a market for it around here

Hmm just got a quote from the cabinet builder at $4100 :scarry: which is as much as all 4 tanks....I think DIY or seeking my own cabinet builder may be underway. DIY may be the best option however I'll need a new table saw and a bigger jig framer

surgicalsense
Hmm just got a quote from the cabinet builder at $4100 :scarry: which is as much as all 4 tanks....I think DIY or seeking my own cabinet builder may be underway

:bling:

... I am sure either route you take it will turn out freaking amazing.

jedimasterben

Hmm just got a quote from the cabinet builder at $4100 :scarry: which is as much as all 4 tanks....I think DIY or seeking my own cabinet builder may be underway. DIY may be the best option however I'll need a new table saw and a bigger jig framer

Just be sure that what you get can withstand almost a ton of dead weight sitting on it. A 48x48 footprint will need to be fricken' beefy!!

Yea - it will need a lot of torsional support. Especially at 42 tall. I may just follow through - but I'm going to do some homework first

jedimasterben
Yea - it will need a lot of torsional support. Especially at 42 tall. I may just follow through - but I'm going to do some homework first

Definitely. If you need any help with the design, let me know. My dad is a master carpenter, and we are building my stand today.

You have sketch up correct? I will send you a copy of the frame with measurements. The top and bottom frame will be 2x 2"x4"s glued to make a LAMs and all 4 sides will be glued/doweled with pocket holes & 4inch framing screws. Each corner supported by 3 2x4s buttoned and pocketed together. Like I said I'll send you the sketch up and you can tell me what his view on it is.

Weight is

265lb tank

120lb rock

40lb sand

At sea level(I am) the water space not taking away rock/sand etc just tank volume of saltwater is 1540lbs

So almost a Ton floating a little over 3ft off the ground.

jedimasterben
You have sketch up correct? I will send you a copy of the frame with measurements. The top and bottom frame will be 2x 2"x4"s glued to make a LAMs and all 4 sides will be glued/doweled with pocket holes & 4inch framing screws. Each corner supported by 3 2x4s buttoned and pocketed together. Like I said I'll send you the sketch up and you can tell me what his view on it is.

Weight is

265lb tank

120lb rock

40lb sand

At sea level(I am) the water space not taking away rock/sand etc just tank volume of saltwater is 1540lbs

So almost a Ton floating a little over 3ft off the ground.

Sounds good to me, I will let him examine it and figure out if anything needs to be changed.

Hey...you could just make lights and go the online sales route. I saw someone here already was asking for you to build them one, didn't I???? :lol:

After you complete this amazing project, of course ;)

Yea someone was - but Dave over ad nanobox does a fantastic job and offers things I don't have the capability of without putting some money into it(the sleek trim and custom drivers/controllers). If someone did want me to assemble a kit I certainly would though.

Archived