inTank Media Baskets

The Oceanarium Project: Imaginarium

Deckoz2302

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything in my tank is happy except the clam and the recovering bubbles...the clam I just dont know. It makes no sense. I try high flow I try low flow, I try high light I try low light...meh

Joel...yes...the chalice is my jefe lol ;)

Hey kat wanna hear something awesome? I give it 30 minute temp/ph adjusted freshwater dips every 4 or 5 days...which is probably why its still alive...crazy huh?

Its odd, It doesnt gape at all, its reaction is 100% just wont extend fully. ugh :\

Poor Clammy. It almost looks paler in the center now too, or is that just the light. :(

My LFS had some Sick Clams I have to post the pics just amazing, I didn't have the $$$ though. <_<

The one nem looks good, the other meh.

Yea candy it is what it is. We shall see.

On a diff note...Im going to meet up with criley to swap a few frags for his purple bonsai. Green spongodes. Miami stag. And purple digi.

Giving him some birds nest, chalice and green across

IMG_20120328_184936.jpg

IMG_20120328_184918.jpg

IMG_20120328_185046.jpg

IMG_20120328_193102.jpg

Considering the shape those nems arrived in, they look pretty good.

Man your corals grow like weeds!!!

Where in the tank is that beautiful chalice mounted???

Chalice is Rick Ross the boss x 2

Perhaps mr clam is lacking light?

I know I love the chalice. I want a pink with red eye chalice so bad. pacific east aquaculture has one I've been waiting impatiently for them to cut lol

Doubtful I used an appogee par meter - where its at on the sand gets 190par and where it was up top before I moved it down again was in the 390 par range 2-3 inches below water surface dead center of fixture. It just isn't happy

Considering the shape those nems arrived in, they look pretty good.

Man your corals grow like weeds!!!

Where in the tank is that beautiful chalice mounted???

Yea they're getting there I hope - and yea miracle grow yo ;) oh and its on the left of the tank up front. It blends with the rocks

Is that orange/pink stuff in the clam picture macros? If so what kind. I want it.

Its called Dragon Tongue algae - you can order some from pacific east aquaculture. They are local to me and an awesome place, they're also a sponsor on the forums and very reputable ;)

All of the chalice? If so, dammit. :lol:

No not all lol like 5-10 eyes ;). I still have some for you Joel lol

No not all lol like 5-10 eyes ;). I still have some for you Joel lol

Ah, okay. *sigh of relief* :lol:

When does the swap go down?

Ah, okay. *sigh of relief* :lol:

When does the swap go down?

Sunday ;) haha. Don't worry Joel I got some for jooooo

And Spiro here you go - on the left bro

IMG_20120323_175554.jpg

No prob - its definitely not a small piece. Now at 65 eyes vs the 62 I bought it at. Its the size of my hand spread out ;)

Hey kat wanna hear something awesome? I give it 30 minute temp/ph adjusted freshwater dips every 4 or 5 days...which is probably why its still alive...crazy huh?

Its odd, It doesnt gape at all, its reaction is 100% just wont extend fully. ugh :\

The clam friend said if your animal looks better immediately following the FW dips, it is confirmed pinched mantle disease.

Does it?

Yes and no. It shrivels for the first few hours. Then it extends and closes its inhalant siphon and extends its filaments. The anterior edges of the mantle never fully extend - however it does extend all of its mantle outside of the shell for a day or two - but it is always pinched but never gaping. I know its pinched mantle. However the protozoa don't die in freshwater in 30 minutes. Takes closer to 6+ hours. But the maxima would not survive a 6+ hour dip. There is also no cure for minched mantle. The only thing I can do is continue to dip it every few days to keep it from getting worse by flushing its system. However this doesn't remove the disease only the bacteria free flowing and unattached within its tissue

Yes and no. There is the obviously shriveling that happens for a few hours after a fresh water dip. However once it gets used to the water again the entire mantle will extend except it is still pinched and has always remained pinched without gape. I know its pinched mantle - however there is no cure for pinched mantle. And the protozoa don't die within the 30 minutes that the dip takes place. It takes closer to 6+ hours for them to start dying. The only thing a freshwater dip does is flush the unattached bacteria within its tissue but does jot remove it entirely. Which is why every few days I give it a dip to keep it going. I can't really do much more them that. I have tried changing flow and changing light. Same thing. Its reaction is always 100% and it doesn't gape. It just can't extend fully for some reason.

Did it come to you from DD with the disease? I would be contacting them about it if so!!!! I'm sure you've thought of that though.

Sorry to hear this :(

I'm like a go-between you and my friend, but if it help then I'm glad to do it.

Marc said:

james fatherree and barry neguit , the two most popular clam experts, say metrodonidazole in the fresh water dip can cure it. Clam will bleach out but come back eventually. I would try a half dose of meds the first time and see how it responds.

I am curious where he purchased the clam and how long ago.

Archived