Cultivated Reef

2g DIY College Dorm Pico Cube

xxbrianxx

pretty much. If you remember brandon429's 1/2 gallon sps tank, he had a few pictures of him simply picking up the tank and carrying it. That's basically what I'm going for.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah i see what you are saying, well just so you know its pretty easy breaking down little nanos and pico tanks man consider how much trouble you are going through to have so that you can move your tank around without breaking it down

yea..I mean when I think about it it probably would be easier to just break it down whenever I want to move it. But I guess it's just the thought of being able to unplug a tank and carry it with you that sounds cool to me. So in my mind it's worth it haha.

I'm not that discouraged anyways. Halfway through building this one, I thought of some things I wanted to change, but it was kinda too late so I just finished it how I originally planned. The tank leaking gives me an excuse to try out my other ideas lol.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not hard to make a tank like this...but it's hard to make it right. Some tips I can think of are: if you don't have the tools to cut straight, just order cut-to-size acrylic from your local plastic shop, and when sanding down edges make sure to sand at 90 degrees to the surface by using some sort of guide. I think that's where I screwed up....I just eyeballed it and in the end I did notice a slight curve on the edges, making the bonding area between each piece much smaller. Overall though, it was definitely a good experience and a fun one as well! Are you thinking of making a pico too?

Silicone does not and will not stick to acrylic. At least GE II.

I learned that the hard way.

Id like to refute this statement with a statement of my own, silicone WILL stick to acrylic for a small application like this it works fine by just cleaning and then applying, for bigger tanks you need to sand your seam areas to give the silicone extra grab, proof below. this mini refugium on my 1 gallon pico is held on and held together entirely with silicone, no sealer or bonding otherwise.

post-71375-1327770598_thumb.jpg

post-71375-1327770678_thumb.jpg

post-71375-1327770712_thumb.jpg

yea, agreed. I've only used silicone in some applications before this and it definitely works. iBall are you sure you gave it enough time to set? Sometimes when I get impatient and expose the silicone to water to0 early, the seam goes bad and starts to leak.

yea, agreed. I've only used silicone in some applications before this and it definitely works. iBall are you sure you gave it enough time to set? Sometimes when I get impatient and expose the silicone to water to0 early, the seam goes bad and starts to leak.

had a minor leak, but it was a pinhole in the seam caused by an air bubble, everything else still holding strong, you just have to make sure to give your silicone 24 hours to cure properly, after that your good to fill your tank.

Archived