inTank Media Baskets

2g DIY College Dorm Pico Cube

xxbrianxx

Hm yea that makes sense. Sorry didn't know the answer was in the thread, was kinda too lazy to read haha, thanks tho.

I just have read it all and knew where that part was. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liking the plan, i've had that idea in the back of my head for 2 years now, having the gsp covering the floor like that...

Dude i have a girlfriend, full time bio major, full time track athlete, and a TANK. Don't hesitate and bring it. The biggest mistake i made in reefing was letting my mom take of my 2 1/2 yr old nano for a semester. She didn't notice the a big turbo died which cause a big snowball effect of problems...

damn dude thats rough...well my dad did alright with my other tank for the first quarter. He's actually the one who got me into saltwater so he knows what he's doing. But yea who knows what would happen if my left my mom with it hahaha

so I've got a problem....where would I get distilled/RO water? I'm living in a residence hall so the bathroom is communal and idk how easy it'd be to get a full rodi setup goin. And the only place to get distilled water is about a 20min walk....I couldn't bring my car with me sighh...any thoughts?

Clarinet_Reefer

Dude, there should be a chemistry dept on campus. They will have DI water on tap. However, I would get a sample of it and get it tested with a TDS meter. If anything just get a buddy to drive you to the store and pick up the water. Two 5 gallon jugs'll last a little bit as long as your lid keeps evap down.

Yea I've got that same problem, although I finally have a car this year. What I do is load up completely about once a month with five, five gallon buckets from homedepot. They're good for me because they can stack on top of one another so they take up little floor space. They last me a month or so (give or take a week depending on circumstances) with a 5.5 gallon and if you did the same I'm sure it would last you a good while since you only have a 2 gallon system.

And I understand how hard it is reefing in college, especially at this place.XD

And as far as the chemistry department, I HIGHLY doubt they would allow you to do that unless you know someone in the department like a TA or lab instructor. I know here you have to have permission to go get water during a lab.XD

Yes you have to become best friends with the lab instructers, i've gotten quite a lot from them like syrienges and pipets and other goodies. And yes we have di system at my campus but its way way too slow like it takes 24hrs to fill up the one 5 gallon nalgene containers.

And also i don't have a car as now and i just make runs to walmart like every month or whenever we go out to that i'll get like a dozen jugs of water

Really? Thats awesome! I definitely couldn't do that here. Well, maybe if I were inside the lab department for some reason. Oh well, I'm just sticking with the LFS for now. Brain, good luck on your endeavors! Have you came up with a solution yet?

thanks man. Well...I've been thinking, best option would probably just be to just get a friend to drive me once a month to get giant load of distilled water. Still not completely ideal, but I'm bringing my car down next year, so I don't have to do it for too long. I'd feel bad building up a relationship with the TA's just to use them to get supplies haha.

lol this came up between me and my organic prof...

I asked him for some small pipets and he tried to give me a fancy precise one when i just wanted the cheap plastic bulb ones and i said "are you sure you can just give me that? will i get in trouble?"

He replied by saying "psssh im not giving you anything for free you pay 30k to go here i can at least give you some pipets!"

Dang, that sounds awesome! I really don't think that would happen in my case. Once I get into more advanced class with a smaller amount of students I might try that, but right now I'm in core classes and don't have a need to "know" my professors. Seems like a cool professor, though. What are you guys studying?

lol same. I didn't say a word to my first quarter professors haha. Each class has a minimum of 200 students. I'm studying aerospace engineering, you?

I was an Aerospace Engineer Major! :D But then I changed to Biology...go figure. My school is pretty big, and until my junior and senior year, my classes will be pretty big. And yes, your cube is looking great. What school are you at, brain?

Chuck, if you go to Robert Morris, I'm assuming its REALLY cold right now.XD

Not really sure. I loved engineering and was doing pretty good with it, just didn't want to be an engineer for the rest of my life, or not at all.XD UCLA is an awesome school. Really jealous. B)

• 3 weeks later...

It's coming along nicely. I've got some gsp in there growing out right now. Also put a favia frag and a couple z/p frags in. Unfortunately though, I'm back in school already and can't get pics until spring break haha. Decided to bring it down with me next year once I get my car.

bad news...tank started leaking again. And from the same seam as last time. I didn't get a chance to sand down the edges so maybe some weld on residue from last time gave it a bad seal. Not too sure what I'm gonna do now...any thoughts?

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. :/ I've never built a acrylic tank, just glass. Why don't you just go to your local fish store or Petsmart or something and get a 2.5 gallon glass tank just for the time being. You can work on your other tank when you get the chance.

Or, you can buy one of these and make it into your permanent aquarium. Saves from doing DIY work, even though I'm sure you enjoy doing it. I know I do.

Hope this helps.

Well I wanted to custom build it since I needed it to be sturdy(3/8" acrylic). Guess that didn't work out as planned though lol. I might just have the next one custom built by someone and keep practicing on my own. Still not too sure why it leaked though. The only pressure on the seams was the ac20 hanging in the back. I'm gonna assume 2 gallons of water doesn't provide too much pressure...

I'm thinking of going even smaller actually. Might be sub 1 gallon. Even 2 gallons was a little difficult to move around, and I need this to be portable to a certain extent.

Are you moving the whole tank with all its contents in it or something? 3/8" still seems like overkill unless you are making the tank into a soccer ball or something

Archived