Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2g DIY College Dorm Pico Cube

xxbrianxx

So this is going to be my tank in college (at least the first two years). Will get more info up soon, but it's a 8" cube putting it at about 2 gallons. I built it using 3/8" acrylic so it should be pretty rock solid.

Water test:

imag0398u.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks phresh. :)

That tank will be handed down to your kids, to their kids, and to their kids. This tank looks like it has been built with brick!

Why so thick?

Nope gonna be mainly stony haha. Don't worry I know what I'm getting into. I've only had one tank above 5g and that one was only 20. All of the picos I've kept are basically all stony corals.

haha I've actually already got plans for a scape. But if that doesn't work out then maybe. I tried as much as possible to model the scape after an iwagumi tank but it's kinda hard with saltwater lol. We'll see though.

Nah I don't have room for a sump but I will have a partition with an overflow in th back. There'll be a small fuge with Chaeto and a return pump which pumps to an external reactor filled with carbon and then back through to the tank.

I only used weld on 4....so far it doesn't seem like it leaks, but I'm debating whether or not to silicone it anyway. My roommates are gonna flip a b*tch if there's water damage all over our room lol

• 2 weeks later...

yea sorry guys I'm getting settled into college right now...I'm leaving it at home for a few weeks to cycle, but I'll have pics up as soon as I get it moved into my dorm. I left all my corals and livestock in my dad's tank....already missing that blue glow haha.

Thanks, it's actually not as perfect as it looks in that pic though, there's a couple flaws here and there. Hand saw and a LOT of sandpaper hahaha. Trust me it was a pain...never doin that again lol. It's actually pretty simple to build though. I think next time I'm just gonna order some pre-cut acrylic and weld it together. I thought it would be hard to get a good seal, but it's not too bad. All I used was scotch tape to hold it together while I glued.

yea sorry guys I'm getting settled into college right now...I'm leaving it at home for a few weeks to cycle, but I'll have pics up as soon as I get it moved into my dorm. I left all my corals and livestock in my dad's tank....already missing that blue glow haha.

Thanks, it's actually not as perfect as it looks in that pic though, there's a couple flaws here and there. Hand saw and a LOT of sandpaper hahaha. Trust me it was a pain...never doin that again lol. It's actually pretty simple to build though. I think next time I'm just gonna order some pre-cut acrylic and weld it together. I thought it would be hard to get a good seal, but it's not too bad. All I used was scotch tape to hold it together while I glued.

well either way it looks fantastic! when did you start school im in week three already

haha thanks bro. I actually just started 4 days ago so I'm still getting used to everything lol. Definitely a new experience. Man I can't wait to get this thing setup down here....sucks I have to wait until second quarter <_< gotta see what my workload is though....see if I can even manage having a tank haha. I'll be counting down the days for sure lol!

• 4 weeks later...

so I was just informed by my dad that the cube began to leak. The partition I siliconed in had a tight fit, but I didn't think it'd really make a difference since the weld on 4 had already set for over a week, meaning it should have been at full strength. One of the seams tore apart at the top and leaked about 1 gallon....there's no cracks in the acrylic, but it'd just be a bit of a pain to start over at this point. Do you guys think I should just reglue and silicone it this time when I go home? Or should I just trash the entire thing and go with a different setup?

• 2 weeks later...

really? I've used it before and it works fine on acrylic. Then again that was GE I. What do you guys think of spray painting the back black and using black silicone for the edges?

Archived