Top Shelf Aquatics

For California Folks, A Noob Question

Deleted User 4

Deleted User 4

So the noob question for you california folks is where can you buy really white live/dead rocks with no algae/pests in it whatsoever. Because I've had seen lately from some tank threads here that, people started off with all really white live/dead rocks. Reason why this question is preferably to be answered by california folks is because, I live in Ca and I want to know some of the local fish stores where I can get the same kind of rocks and I also decline to buy online. Thanks people. :D

Deleted User 4
umm what part of cali are you located?

Hey squared, I remember you, I'm located in 91745, Hacienda Heights, long beach I can go that far as well for some nice white rocks if you know what store carries it. The rocks have to be small sizes about 4-5 inches.

well i don't really know of many fish stores...asked that question more for so if other people have something to say.

you looking for like plain...roundish rocks?? or like long ones and one with funky shapes??

Try Rainbow Pets in Arleta.

They have big bins behind the store with alot of dead white liverock. Try calling them to see what kinds they've got.

Deleted User 4
well i don't really know of many fish stores...asked that question more for so if other people have something to say.

you looking for like plain...roundish rocks?? or like long ones and one with funky shapes??

Both kinds, how do they make the rocks like that? Do people just bleach it or something? Though I'd prefer buying it like that then do it myself but just curious.

Deleted User 4
Try Rainbow Pets in Arleta.

They have big bins behind the store with alot of dead white liverock. Try calling them to see what kinds they've got.

Thanks, are there any more that you know? Also, in order to get the really white rocks, do they have to be dead to be really white? or are there live white rocks for sale as well?

i have no idea. well that people know now where you are, they can give better suggestions closer to you.

are you starting up a new tank?

Actually, I am not. I just want to slowly rid my current live rocks for some new dead/live really white rocks thought I'm not too sure if I can add dead ones..., but yeah I just don't like my current live rocks in my tank as much as I did before, so I kinda want to set up all new live white rocks or dead ones lol.

I don't see why you can't. Just do it slowly and seed the new rock. Or if you have a sump, put the new rocks in there to seed. Make sure you rinse the rocks well for debris.

Also, you do know that over time, the white rock is going to turn brown from algae, and then probably purple or green depending on the coraline.

Deleted User 4
I don't see why you can't. Just do it slowly and seed the new rock. Or if you have a sump, put the new rocks in there to seed. Make sure you rinse the rocks well for debris.

Also, you do know that over time, the white rock is going to turn brown from algae, and then probably purple or green depending on the coraline.

Thanks, yeah that was what I was thinking, I just wasn't too sure since I've never dealt with dead rocks, but live ones. lol :lol:

Deleted User 4
im in CA

i think you're looking for this..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-re...m-eco-rock.html

that stuff is great and looks pretty white in water.

Omg, dude, thanks for mentioning this to me, this is what I've been looking for, so it has a name for itself as well...... thanks, so do you happen to know any local fish store that carries them? Because I hate to buy online, thanks again. So when you go to the lfs do you ask for reef saver eco live rocks? ;)

First off it is dry rock not dead/live rock.. live rock is rock that has a bacteria population built up and part of the rock being in the water is that it begins to get encrusted in coraline algae which is the nice purple/pink colored algae reef rocks get. The dead dry rock is white because it is dryed out.

If you want to find a store that sells the rock, go google search for aquarium stores and call them. Ask if they sell dry rock for reefs and ask what type it is. The most popular/common type is probably fiji rock, the www.bulkreefsupply.com (BRS) rock that a lot of people love is the pukani rock because it is EXTREMELY porous and light weight which results in better natural filtration and more nooks and crannies for things to live in. One of the big things with live vs dry rock is dry rock weighs considerably less, pukani in particular to the point where people typically need half as much rock weight as they would need with live rock.

Aside from google, check craigslist.. I live in the bay area and people are always selling rock.

Archived