inTank Media Baskets

Eric's Clownfish Breeding Thread (Retired)

ericm1205

thx. they are nicer in person.

feeding last night i found a nest for my rods onyx. this is the first time they laid since the summer heater explosion i had. so i hope they keep it up and also inspire the others that were spawning and stopped, to start again.

i just need to get my darwin pair, and darwin female x super back ice that were spawning again. feeding them hard and heavy so they get busy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 pairs laid in the last week. gsm, darwin and rods onyx.

darwin hatched last night. dumbass me forgot to plug in the heater and the temp went to 71..yikes!!

but they all survived. hehe i only hatch tough clowns. hehe

Nice clarks and fire, you should try breeding a fire and cinnamon lol.

In the next couple of months I'll be following, I want a snowflake. How much will you sell the snowflake off spring for?

Nice

Ive done this once or twice

You get in a rush and excited and next thing you know you miss it

your 100% right. wanted to get it all setup and move the eggs over early so i can get in some movie time with the wifey. plus this is my first darwin hatch so i was extra excited.

here is a few crappy pics of the them from my iphone 4s . only like 50 or so survived daddy ripping them off, but all hatched.

d4996267.jpg

c40abb86.jpg

3fb6f120.jpg

if i had room i would try a cinamon or tomato pair. not sure what i would sell the snows for, but non are laying yet for me so i got a ways to think about that.

Wait, what am I looking at?

crappy pics of my darwin hatch last night.

was lazy in my last hatch with the gsm. i let them hatch in the same tank with the darwins. hehe

since the darwins started laying again, i hope they keep it on and stay on a schedule for me to raise them. darwins are easy to sell in bulk and not have to wait for them to change color like my onyx need to.

finally caught my clowns laying in the act. i grabbed the camera and recorded a few minutes of my darwins laying, but after a while i noticed she is not good at it yet. alot of her eggs ended not attaching cause she didnt get her ovipositor on the pot and as the eggs floated away, her and the male were eating the eggs...

but she got some eggs on the pot. i bet she got lile 50 or so left hanging on there. i bet she didnt get more than 1/3 on the pot. she is a big girl and was fat.

all that feed paid off it seems.. my Darwin female / Super black Ice Male laid for the first time together.

She laid before in the summer and i put this male with her and she seems to like him enough to lay eggs.

some pics

a77aca05.jpg

56f016d3.jpg

b934c31a.jpg

e7aa382b.jpg

all that feed paid off it seems.. my Darwin female / Super black Ice Male laid for the first time together.

She laid before in the summer and i put this male with her and she seems to like him enough to lay eggs.

some pics

a77aca05.jpg

56f016d3.jpg

b934c31a.jpg

e7aa382b.jpg

very nice eric, hopefully you get some all black snowflakes, thats what im looking to produce soon as well, my male super black ice is taking forever,,,lol

talk about feeding, man you feed alot...lol

So my madness continues... i got a pair of Mckoskers flasher wrasses for my solana. i got 2 females so i can watch one turn into a male..this isnt breeding related. hehe but i was excited.

as for the bad news i didnt put them in the solana cause of my devil Tricinctus.

I put in a fire shrimp cause the last 2 skunks cleaners i got dissapeared within a day. so i tried a fire. well what happened was amazing. my tri's ACTUALLY grabbed the fire and fet it to my RBTA....i was WTF!! $25 down the drain!!! i was able to rescue it once, but the second time the nem closed up to fast on it before i could pull it out. so i was afraid of adding my Wrasses...

but back to clowns...sort of

I got a nice pair of Bangaii Cardinals and i added them to my 12 nano. hopefully they spawn one day for me. they are almost a year together from the previous owner so i am hopeful.

but clown related stuff my.. introducing my 13th pair!

i bought a laying pair of Tomato clowns for reasons other than i am a hoarder and i need to own every clown pair out there..

b65a2899.jpg

And i got a male Fire (or red saddle) clown for my big female.. is is alot redder than she is, but they seem to get along ok. her last owner told me she killed the last 2 males.. hopefully being a widow for a few months softened her up and is looking for love again..

and a quick pic of my 10 darwin babies 15 dph.

f823d233.jpg

0d466e31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any luck with the darwin / super black ice?

yeah. i got a batch of 10 to 20 that hatched last week. i can see a littl white developing so hopefully a few days they will go thru meta. started otohime today... cant wait to maybe see a snow.

woods4542000
yeah. i got a batch of 10 to 20 that hatched last week. i can see a littl white developing so hopefully a few days they will go thru meta. started otohime today... cant wait to maybe see a snow.

Any pics of the fresh hatch?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the lack of updates. havent been feeling good ( Psoriatic Arthritis) for a few weeks and i slowed down taking care of the clowns for a while. so i been feeling better and now i can pay more attention to them again. i droped the feedings down to 2 per day. all i could do.

but to my leaving them alone i got 2 more pairs laying. my Tomato pair started laying this week and also a pair that will give me snowflakes...and lots of them!! the pair is a ocy female and a super snow male. its dark and lots of white. almost like the black ice one in a few posts above. i am excited cause the female i got was from a friend and the female is over 7 years old. she is huge and very nice looking. she popped down like 50 eggs and 6 are left, but the male is really tending to those 6. hehe

tomatoes were from SA and they went back to true laying form. the nest was nice and tight and all are fertilized and looking good. the tomatoes eggs are very red in color. not used to red eggs after dealing with percs and occys.

so i got lying pairs out of 11!! one pair i am gonna remove to put in my display cause i dont think the female snowflake has it in her to be interested in laying. i know she is able cause she is big at almost 3" long. the fire pair has a way to go since she just accepted the new male a few weeks ago and the saddle pair i think might never lay. she is too skittish and jumpy. might have to move on her and try to find another laying saddle pair.

RRCG50 my tanks are 48x14x14 i think.

the black ice pair that is laying i havent raised any fry yet. i been having a tough time with the rots. and i keep crashing them. i think i have it fixed and i think i was feeding too much. in fact i know i was. hehe

good to see alot more ppl breeding around here. good job.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updates as requested.

Recently my clarkii started spawning again from a few month hiatus. I was happy to see them. Especially with my lack or feedings I been doing. Not feeling well from new medication Had me messed up for the last month. Told the Dr to figure something else out I had to stop taking this crap.

Nothing like feeling nauseous 4 days out of a week from an injectable medication. I feel better from. It taking this medication. Hehe

So as I been felling. Enter I been feeding more, and a few water changes and they are looking happier.

I have a super snow male and a occy pair laying now. They are on their third clutch and he doing a great job tending eggs. It a few go missing every day and by day 4 they are all gone. So he has a little ways to go. These will have some very nice snowflakes I hope.

My rods onyx lay constantly still. It he seems to know when I want to pull the pot cause on day 8 they are all gone. I am gonna pull the pot 3 days early and hopefully get a good hatch.

So after the increased feedings I hope the others who stopped laying will start again and the 4 pairs I been waiting to lay, I hope they lay soon too. They are feverishly cleaning the pots, lots of belly rubbing and eating.

I am on the lookout for a laying black saddle pair. My massive (5" and very thick ) female is still very skittish and wants to jump out alot. She has a nasty soul dd on her jaw I need to watch.

I don't think she will ever lay for me. I would love to retire her to a nice large haddoni and get a new pair.

So if anyone is selling or knows someone willing to sell a laying black saddle pair hit me up!! I'll pay a finders fee!!

I got 12 total pairs now, I am thinking of getting 2 more tanks and go to 16 pairs.

• 1 month later...

Monthly update. hehe

went on a buying spree buying a few pairs to add to my madness. i think i like collecting clowns more than breeding now. sort of scary. I bought 4 new laying pairs recently and added them to the system. i did buy a darwin pair a month or 2 ago. waiting for them to start back spawning.

but my new 3 pairs are a C-quest black onyx. these are jet black and are identical to my rods onyx pair since they are both from C-Quest stock. 4 days after arriving from the mid west they resumed laying for me. they put down a nice nest and i was pleasantly suprised that they laid so quick after shipping. the original owner is a great guy and took great care in this pair and it shows. stunning pair. excited to have two onyx pairs laying now. hopefully i can pump out some onyx soon.

i got another occy pair and put the big female with a super snow i got from Eileen and i am expecting great things from them. my other occy female is laying sporadically and the 2nd one isnt laying yet. the 1st and 2nd occy femals i got are both 8 years old and i was hoping they would be laying more for me.

i also got an allardi pair. kinda off the wall but since they were laying i had to have them. they are a clarkii complex but they look different. really pretty fish. hope to get them laying again, i dont know if there is a market for allardi or not, i doubt it; haha but i got them cheap and i love them.

i got a massive massive clarkii pair also. they are very pretty and did i say huge? they are larger than my other clarkii pair. i got these cause the stripes got a blue tint to them and are stunning.

i am actually donating my fist pair of clarkii to a lfs so they can do lectures and education with kids on breeding fish and stuff like that. so they are going to a good place and hopefully it will spark someone to start a saltwater tank and try to raise some clowns.

i kinda slacked off a while in feeding the pairs cause i wasnt feeling well for a few weeks. but i am feeding them more and more and hopefully some get spawning again. only ones been laying good for me were my rods and my gsm pairs.

now my darwin f x super black ice m has laid again and left the eggs till the end this time. nice nest and the male did a great job. i will try to raise the next batch.

1st clarkii pair and tomatoes, darwins, all stopped laying cause of my laziness.

i was running my temps up to 85, but i lowered the temps down to 83. few reasons, one to keep my heaters from working alot and 2nd i think temps over 81 up to 83 is sufficient. anyone disagree?

Archived