Innovative Marine Aquariums

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

The extreme lack of pictures is due to a hair algae outbreak I've been fighting for a while. I guess heavy bioloads and no filter don't really go together. So I bought a micro-reefs s.o.s. sump. I just need to go to the store tomorrow to get a piece of tubing so I can get it up and running. Then I just have to run massive amounts of GFO and rip out all the hair algae. After that, pics galore!

altolamprologus
What about Kent Tech M?

That's only for bryopsis. As far as I know, magnesium has no affect on hair algae. Regardless, I need to get nutrients down for the sake of the NPS corals.

The extreme lack of pictures...

Me: Ooh hi Blobby!

Alto: Don't you dare take any pictures of that tank!

Me: -_-

Yay sump!

altolamprologus
Sea Hare.

I have macro algae I want to keep. A seahare would eat all those right? Although I suppose I could move the macros to another tank and move my longspine urchin over to this tank temporarily.

Bongo Shrimp
I have macro algae I want to keep. A seahare would eat all those right? Although I suppose I could move the macros to another tank and move my longspine urchin over to this tank temporarily.

Ive never put one with ornamental macro but I don't think they would eat it. Liveaquaria says it will eat caulerpa. It might be worth moving the macro... Just a thought.

altolamprologus
Ive never put one with ornamental macro but I don't think they would eat it. Liveaquaria says it will eat caulerpa. It might be worth moving the macro... Just a thought.

I think I'll try my urchin first and see how that goes. He's pretty big so he should be able to eat it all up quickly. Thanks for the idea though, a sea hare will be plan b if the urchin fails

altolamprologus
i thought urchins ate like any kind of algea, won't it eat your macros?

I'm going to move my macros to another tank before putting the urchin in :)

Aww, sorry to hear about the tank issues. At least blobby is okay! :D

The thing I hate most about saltwater are all of the pest algaes that take over almost overnight. A few weeks before I took my BioCube 29 HQI down, all this crazy crap popped up. That was when I stopped picking off the little things of algae. There was caulerpa taxifolia (as you know) and tons of it. I think there was red grape macro in there too. Also there was green bubble algae, some weird brown stuff that was kinda like purple turf but wouldn't come off no matter what, and I also had bryopsis and surprisingly it didn't take over at all. I noticed that in my freshwater tank, I haven't gotten any algae. I remember I did have some in my past freshwater tanks but I overfed, turned the pumps off at night and never did water changes ever and I never cleaned the glass. Why in the world are there so many invasive saltwater algaes?!?!?! :angry:

Post pics when you can. We don't mind if its messy. Since its a macro tank, why don't you want pest algaes in there? Wouldn't that add to the authentic planted tank look? Bryopsis is kinda pretty IMO lol.

altolamprologus
Aww, sorry to hear about the tank issues. At least blobby is okay! :D

The thing I hate most about saltwater are all of the pest algaes that take over almost overnight. A few weeks before I took my BioCube 29 HQI down, all this crazy crap popped up. That was when I stopped picking off the little things of algae. There was caulerpa taxifolia (as you know) and tons of it. I think there was red grape macro in there too. Also there was green bubble algae, some weird brown stuff that was kinda like purple turf but wouldn't come off no matter what, and I also had bryopsis and surprisingly it didn't take over at all. I noticed that in my freshwater tank, I haven't gotten any algae. I remember I did have some in my past freshwater tanks but I overfed, turned the pumps off at night and never did water changes ever and I never cleaned the glass. Why in the world are there so many invasive saltwater algaes?!?!?! :angry:

Post pics when you can. We don't mind if its messy. Since its a macro tank, why don't you want pest algaes in there? Wouldn't that add to the authentic planted tank look? Bryopsis is kinda pretty IMO lol.

Yoshii will vouch for me, the tank looks terrible. I wouldn't want to burn your retinas with pictures of it

altolamprologus

The tank has been sump'd, the GFO is in, and I have 6 tasty chromis in quarantine waiting to be eaten :D

altolamprologus

And now the urchin is in and going to work. I put Blob in a net breeder for now so he doesn't hurt himself on the urchin spines

altolamprologus

I gave Blobbasaurus Rex a shrimp and he got leopard spots while hunting! I've never seen him do that before omgomgomg

altolamprologus
But the spots disappeared soon as he ate the shrimpy?

Yep, it was just a temporary pattern change, like he suddenly realized he had to camouflage himself so the shrimp wouldn't be scared away but after he ate it, he went back to normal

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus
So frogfish=octopus?

No, frogfish are not octopus, but they do have the ability to color change.

altolamprologus

Well guys the tank cleanup is just about complete. The urchin did his job amazingly well and will be moved back into my cardinalfish tank in a few days. I ordered about 10 new macros so this tank will look awesome pretty damn soon. Pics after the macros get here, I promise!

Archived