Innovative Marine Aquariums

yes, i'll probably die young, but...

amiralisomji

amiralisomji

is it okay to smoke next to a tank?

i have a pico that i'm busy setting up now, its sitting 2 feet away from my computer, and i smoke here. soooo, was wondering if anyone has any ideas if thats a bad thing?? I can see smoke hover over the tank when the lights are on, but not sure if that will affect the tank or not.

I know, probably a dumb question - but better to be safe than sorry (and broke).

The smoke is made up of lots of little particles, some of which could carry over into the tank. I personally wouldn't. Just sit there and enjoy the tank when you get the urge to smoke, and if you really have to smoke then go to another room to prevent any problems that may arise. JMO.

is it likely to happen? i kinda doubt it unless you have alot of smoke and its being forced into the water somehow (smoke right where the intake to your skimmer is or smoke near falling water etc.)

could it happen? sure. you could always put a cover over the tank. or just buy a little desk fan for a few bucks and be sure to turn it on when you smoke. fan points at you or at the tank and makes sure smoke doesnt stay in/on the tank for long if at all.

Your fish will be fine they may go through some withdrawls if you stop cold turkey tho :lol: Smoking is like nano reefs both very adddictive trust me !

Could be be a little of both if so watch out for jumpers if they get paranoid

LOL, yeah they may be jumpin that tank and pinchin off you man

The smoke is made up of lots of little particles, some of which could carry over into the tank. I personally wouldn't. Just sit there and enjoy the tank when you get the urge to smoke, and if you really have to smoke then go to another room to prevent any problems that may arise. JMO.

+1. I have a reef book from the 80s (when smoking was more common icon8.gif), and it warns all aquarists to never smoke near their tank, because the smoke has so much stuff in it (much of it being harmful). A skimmer *could* get rid of some of that, but it's certainly not going to get rid of all of it (because they only gets rid of organic compounds). If you have to smoke at all, it would be much better if you smoked outside or in another room, in my opinion. Also, don't forget that Nicotine is used as a pesticide- that should give you a clue about what it could do to a tank (nonetheless a human :eek:).

Haha unless you use your tank as a gravity bong and force the smoke through the water I don't see smoking by a tank being a serious threat. I would be more worried about your lungs and any other air breathing creature in your house..

idk it could be harmful to your tank--especially if you chain smoke

+1 to going to a different room when you want to smoke or better yet, go outside. you'll start smoking less during the winter, believe me lol. I make it a rule never to smoke in the house. Itll be good for your tank and for you

Or you can simply not smoke. :) But you've probably been told that before.

those who have never smoked will never understand the challenge - the only reason i quit was i seen my dad on his death bed basically - he was lucky to have survived - He smoked for as long as I can remember.

amiralisomji
those who have never smoked will never understand the challenge - the only reason i quit was i seen my dad on his death bed basically - he was lucky to have survived - He smoked for as long as I can remember.

You couldn't have said it better, Trogdor447. God knows how much I've tried to quit... fail every time!

Oh well, I've decided not to smoke next to the tank, dont want to risk it. I guess that will reduce the number of times i reach out for my stash... i mean pack ;)

ThePhilosopher

According to the August 2011 edition of Practical Fishkeeping:

"Aside from all of the problems involved in the components of the smoke itself, cigarettes contain nicotine which is a remarkable poison once it gets into water. Fish have a higher tolerance to nicotine per KG bodyweight than humans, but water is notorious for trapping smoke from the air and holding on to it for long periods".

Smoking for extended periods near exposed aquarium = bad.

Hey i drink and watch my tank.

I even share some cheap vodka with them.

Light um up you and your fish only live once.

Live for today not for the aftereffects of today!

Right now is life not before or after just right now.

I need another Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThePhilosopher
Hey i drink and watch my tank.

I even share some cheap vodka with them.

Light um up you and your fish only live once.

Live for today not for the aftereffects of today!

Unfortunately the money we spend on our fish and livestock only lives once, too.

Archived