ReefCleaners.org

My 2.5-Gallon Soon to be Dwarf Seahorse Tank!

Fishgirl2393

Fishygirl, any updates? Do you still have the one baby and did you order more adults? I add a probiotic daily to my seahorse tank to help prevent or at least diminish the effects of bacteria. Its easy to administer, just mix measured amount with tank water and pour in.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lost the baby after a while (only had the one and a non-optimal tank to raise it in at the time due to having to take the other down due to ill seahorses having been in it) and re-set the tank but the place I ordered from gave me a full refund because they arrived in not perfect health (and we agreed they likely had bacterial infections based on symptoms). I'm planning on ordering more soon since the tank has cycled and is now ready. I used a 2.5 gallon tank. I had a few "bumps" in the tank recently because a heater failed and heated the tank to 95 degrees. Then I couldn't find a replacement immediatly so it went down to about 64 degrees. This killed a lot of bacteria and life in the tank and caused it to cycle again. So, it is finally cycled again. I'm about to get my hatchery plan set up and ready as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Changed the filter to a DIY sponge filter because the Whisper wasn't working very well (it gets salt buildup when run slowly like is required for dwarf seahorses). It works great and has the added benefit of being totally safe for the seahorses (that will be ordered soon!). Caulerpa is growing well (hasn't taken off yet but is getting established) and the two species of seastars that I introduced for cleanup are doing well also (I put in some micro brittle stars and some tiny asterina stars) for the few weeks that they've been in there.

• 3 months later...
Fishgirl2393

Tank is still established (no seahorses yet but will be ordered in the next few weeks). Been reading up on them to be sure I'm ready. My goal is to get this to be a "South Florida" style tank (the rock is Florida rock) in terms of the decoration and set up. I'm planning on keeping the dwarfs in a more natural tank (still careful though with keeping amphipods and hydroids out though!).

Tank is still established (no seahorses yet but will be ordered in the next few weeks). Been reading up on them to be sure I'm ready. My goal is to get this to be a "South Florida" style tank (the rock is Florida rock) in terms of the decoration and set up. I'm planning on keeping the dwarfs in a more natural tank (still careful though with keeping amphipods and hydroids out though!).

Good luck!

Nanofreak79

I had to tear mine down, sucks :furious: I will be following waiting to see how you set up and how long lived they can be in your care! ;)

I had to tear mine down, sucks :furious: I will be following waiting to see how you set up and how long lived they can be in your care! ;)

There are a few dwarf seahorse keepers on seahorse.org. One member, Brian had so many babies that he just finished a new build for them. If you are still really liking dwarfs you should check them out.

Fishgirl2393

I'm planning on ordering next week if possible (if not, it will be the week after). I'm getting excited!!!

• 4 months later...
Fishgirl2393

This tank is still up and running (empty but cycled) and I am thinking about reviving my plans to order dwarfs. I was really busy this summer but now I have time. So, I may load some pics sometime soon. I am also considering using an AGA Glass 2.5 gallon tank (I like the clean look better) if I can find one locally.

Archived