Pod Your Reef

anyone have luck with blue ring oct?

rickysreef

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BLoCkCliMbeR
most of then dont really have a strong venom..

last time i googled, they are in the top 5 most venomous animals in the world

i have had then before

then you should know better....

last time i googled, they are in the top 5 most venomous animals in the world

then you should know better....

not all have the strong venom normaly smallones are th one with strong venom,and ys i hav had thn my qustion is not about how to kep th animal or anything lik that mistr i just want to know if anyon hav had on on a biocube thats all mister smart guy :) thank you for ur help ....

something is wrong with the eeeeeeee and my pc lol

I contemplated a blue ring at one time, but after months of research bagged the idea. Not because I was afraid of getting bit. (I was more worried about the cat coming across it and getting bit), but the reason I decided against it was because if you want an "octo experience" blue rings are not gonna give you that. They are nocturnal and very shy. And usually by the time you get one they only have a few months to live. Plus they only flash blue when threatened, otherwise their the same color as any ol' octopus. If you really want to experience an octo, get a bimac. My 7 month old Inklet, is a bimac and is truly awesome. She gets up every morning with me and hangs out of her den all day to follow me around the kitchen. I see her from the time I get up in the AM to I go to bed in the PM. She has me trained quite well to give her a crab when she "asks" for one! I have tons of stories if yer interested!

Roxy

that was my first oct but back then i didnt know much about then i found it in me kitchen dry dead i love it but i think 29g wont be big enough what do u think?and yes they never last me more than 4,5 month my second one only last me a month :(

rickysreef:

1) Don't expect to be given much respect or valuable insight with the way you post things.

"nd ys i hav had thn my qustion is not about how to kep th animal or anything lik that mistr i just want to know if anyon hav had on on a biocube thats all mister smart guy"

^this is just...sad. Also, the 'e' on your keyboard is obviously not broken i.e. biocube

2) You're not going to get the answer you want to hear. However, I believe a member by the name of C-Rad has some experience with them. My advice is to not get one.

BLoCkCliMbeR
not all have the strong venom normaly smallones are th one with strong venom,and ys i hav had thn my qustion is not about how to kep th animal or anything lik that mistr i just want to know if anyon hav had on on a biocube thats all mister smart guy :) thank you for ur help ....

something is wrong with the eeeeeeee and my pc lol

soooo.....youre gonna take your chances then eh? you might win a darwin award, better yet maybe we will see your story on 1000 ways to die. love that show...

i predict that said octo wont escape the tank, but will get into the back chambers, where you will attempt to get it out if it doesnt get killed by the pump. this is where you will probably get bit....then as you are crawling towards your phone, will expire. someone will find your body days later.

that was my first oct but back then i didnt know much about then i found it in me kitchen dry dead i love it but i think 29g wont be big enough what do u think?and yes they never last me more than 4,5 month my second one only last me a month :(

so you should know better, spend the money on something worth while, like tattoos or car parts.

and yes they never last me more than 4,5 month my second one only last me a month :(

Then you're a jerk for wanting to buy a 4th one and put it in a 29g

Get real.

i love it when people ask for advice looking for confirmation of an asinine idea.

if you want one then get one because clearly you have no intention of listening to any of us. If, on the other hand, you do care what some others say (some of whom may know more than you), then it seems that the consensus (for both your sake and the sake of the animal) is to NOT get one.

I kept a blue ring for close to a year in a 20 high with a eggcrate top that had screening over it and was secured VERY well since I know how smart octopi can be, I had him in a tank with a FEW pieces of live rock and just 1 power compact bulb that was for a much smaller tank so as to not have the tank very bright for him since I know they do not like bright lighting very much and are much more active when it is darker in the tank

I LOVED him and never had a single problem with him as far as being agressive towards me when I had to clean the tank or anything of that nature, ALthough I will admit I did wear 2 pairs of those thick elbow hiw gloves when I was working inside the tank JUST IN CASE he decided he wanted to see what I tasted like or I happened to frighten/piss him off enough to provoke him to bite me...

I fed him snails,sally light foots, emerald crabs,peppermint shrimp,ghost shrimp and numerous other sea creatures that he LOVED

He would flash for me all the time and even my mom and dad knowing how dangerous he was LOVED him...I onlt ended up with him though because he accidentally got shipped to my store instead of the regular octopi that we had ordered and since the owner knew we couldnt sell him to a customer he sold him to me for the price of a regular octopus "20.00 bucks"

So I say as long as you RESPECT HIM AND ARE VERY CAREFUL I DO NOT think that you will have any issues...Just make sure that you have a SUPER SUPER SUPER tight fitting lid and give him things lo explore, I would keep some sanitized soda bottles in there that I left in my reef tank for awhile so that they had coralline growth and other growth on them to make him feel more at home

He was NEVER a picky eater, So I say as long as you are CAREFUL then you should GO FOR IT

Message me if you have any questions and I can help you out with my personal experience with blue rings

i love it when people ask for advice looking for confirmation of an asinine idea.

if you want one then get one because clearly you have no intention of listening to any of us. If, on the other hand, you do care what some others say (some of whom may know more than you), then it seems that the consensus (for both your sake and the sake of the animal) is to NOT get one.

Lol yeah. It's prevalent on any type of forum ever.

OP- "Hey guize, should I leave my wife and cheat on her with these aids infected hookers?

"No!"

"No!"

"No!"

"No!"

OP-"Aw, c'mon guize, but I think it's a gr8 ideuh"

Random kid on the forums- "Derp, I think it iz a gr8 ideas"

"sweet, me two. thanx fer the advise"

Everyone else- "Uh, whatever guy"

Notice the crappy grammar that usually goes with posts like this. Despite the fact that 300 people say no that's a terrible idea, they're only seeking validation. One person could say sounds like a great thing to do and they'll go for it. They just hope that they can find one tard in the world to agree with them.

BLoCkCliMbeR
RESPECT HIM AND ARE VERY CAREFUL I DO NOT think that you will have any issues...Just make sure that you have a SUPER SUPER SUPER tight fitting lid and give him things lo explore,

Message me if you have any questions and I can help you out with my personal experience with blue rings

*cough* biocube back chamber of death *cough*

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29-Fi...uard-BC29FS.htm

sounds like your gonna do it anyway. im not sure if this fish guard is octo proof, but im sure it will just come out the feeding hatch to take your soul.

Random kid on the forums- "Derp, I think it iz a gr8 ideas

It's not only kids on here that give bad advice. Go talk to AM and Jacobnano sometime! :P

Edit: And will be waiting to see if the OP responds after (if) he does get the blue ring. :lol:

*cough* biocube back chamber of death *cough*

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29-Fi...uard-BC29FS.htm

sounds like your gonna do it anyway. im not sure if this fish guard is octo proof, but im sure it will just come out the feeding hatch to take your soul.

I TOTALLY missed that it was a biocube...In that case then NO DO NOT GET IT!!!

Octopi ESPECIALLY small ones like blue rings only need a space about eh size of there jaw to get through even the SMALLEST OPENING!!!!

That was the reason that I have mine SEALED TIGHT WITH A DOUBLE LID AND A SMALL MASTER LOCK WITH KEY ON IT SO THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT COULD GET INTO THE TANK!!!

SONOT PUT THAT BLUERING IN A BIOCUBE

1 of 2 things will happen

1) he will end up on the floor and either be dried up or will bite you when you go to put him in the tank

OR 2) he will end up in the back chamber and will bite you when you try to get him out...

DO NOT PUT HIM INA BIOCUBE!!!!

Buy a dedicated 20high or 20 long and fill it with crabs,snails,shrimp and any other NATURAL food source so that he isnt dependent on you feeding him and he can act more natural and actually hunt on his own....I NEVER fed mine with a stupid stick, I just kept enough live food in the tank for him to eat when he wanted to

Nasty Canasta

Funny thread, someone seems to start one on every forum every year or so...although there's nothing wrong with a blue ring...i bought the wife one and a Portuguese man o'war shortly after i found she was cheating on me...she was amazed how friendly they were and how you could hand rear them.....obviously some missed communication there as i told the insurance guy after her accident...

Ah happy days!

Punctuation, spelling, and grammar are lost on you....

im not american si quieres te escrivo en espanol y si no saves pasa trabajao traduciendo esto hahaha

rickysreef:

1) Don't expect to be given much respect or valuable insight with the way you post things.

"nd ys i hav had thn my qustion is not about how to kep th animal or anything lik that mistr i just want to know if anyon hav had on on a biocube thats all mister smart guy"

^this is just...sad. Also, the 'e' on your keyboard is obviously not broken i.e. biocube

2) You're not going to get the answer you want to hear. However, I believe a member by the name of C-Rad has some experience with them. My advice is to not get one.

thee e is not broken it was giving me a hard time now is fine...

I kept a blue ring for close to a year in a 20 high with a eggcrate top that had screening over it and was secured VERY well since I know how smart octopi can be, I had him in a tank with a FEW pieces of live rock and just 1 power compact bulb that was for a much smaller tank so as to not have the tank very bright for him since I know they do not like bright lighting very much and are much more active when it is darker in the tank

I LOVED him and never had a single problem with him as far as being agressive towards me when I had to clean the tank or anything of that nature, ALthough I will admit I did wear 2 pairs of those thick elbow hiw gloves when I was working inside the tank JUST IN CASE he decided he wanted to see what I tasted like or I happened to frighten/piss him off enough to provoke him to bite me...

I fed him snails,sally light foots, emerald crabs,peppermint shrimp,ghost shrimp and numerous other sea creatures that he LOVED

He would flash for me all the time and even my mom and dad knowing how dangerous he was LOVED him...I onlt ended up with him though because he accidentally got shipped to my store instead of the regular octopi that we had ordered and since the owner knew we couldnt sell him to a customer he sold him to me for the price of a regular octopus "20.00 bucks"

So I say as long as you RESPECT HIM AND ARE VERY CAREFUL I DO NOT think that you will have any issues...Just make sure that you have a SUPER SUPER SUPER tight fitting lid and give him things lo explore, I would keep some sanitized soda bottles in there that I left in my reef tank for awhile so that they had coralline growth and other growth on them to make him feel more at home

He was NEVER a picky eater, So I say as long as you are CAREFUL then you should GO FOR IT

most of this guys think keeping a blue ring is like keeping a lion inside ur house they are not a joke at all but is not the moster y guys think it is,,,,i alread cover the overflow and return with a mesh and got my gloves from kent marine to clean the tank thanks alot for the info buddy i will go for it it wont be my first one or last one....

i hope it bites you.

you just don't get that those things are supposed to be kept in the wild and not in your biocube.

i have much doubt that you have kept one before because you would already know if you would be able to keep it in a biocube.

i think you should be restricted to ever get one because you'll probably get killed by it.

whats the point of keeping one anyways,you'll need to piss him off to have him look pretty and that's just gonna stress him out even more.when hes not pissed hes just a plain brown octo.

Lol im not a kid i been doing this forever i just never had a nano in my life only huge tanksmy biggest 870g and aquarium stores... I didnt know if 29g will be good or not. Lookk at my website maybe that way u belive im not new in this hobby :mellow: www.rickysreef.com

The issue here is your lack of communication like an adult, apparent lack of knowledge (especially for someone who has had an 870G tank + aquarium STORE), etc.

Size wise 29G is fine for a blue ring. They are tiny secretive things. An all in one tank like a biocube is not a good idea because of all the little nooks and crannies the 'pus can get itself into and escape or hide or get sucked into a pump.

P.s. It's your, you're, you are, not ur. This isn't an SMS text message on a 256 character limit phone.

okokokko i was having some fun i dont want a blue ring anymore i already got the octopus that i want and i had it for a wile but u guys got so crazy with the blue ring oct that i deside to keep it for a bit :) my tank is like 45 days old,i dont have a stand yet i order one from a company i dont want to say names they send it to a wrong address then they send me another one broke im wating for my third one now...here is a video of my octopus...

octopus

here is a video of the 360g with 2m old i have some pics of the tank full of corals but i dont know how to post pics here....

i have 11 more videos....sorry about the bad quality those videos are taking with a phone...

okokokko i was having some fun i dont want a blue ring anymore i already got the octopus that i want and i had it for a wile but u guys got so crazy with the blue ring oct that i deside to keep it for a bit :) my tank is like 45 days old,i dont have a stand yet i order one from a company i dont want to say names they send it to a wrong address then they send me another one broke im wating for my third one now...here is a video of my octopus...

octopus

here is a video of the 360g with 2m old i have some pics of the tank full of corals but i dont know how to post pics here....

i have 11 more videos....sorry about the bad quality those videos are taking with a phone...

Tank is too small and it has no room to move around and explore. Also, you need to learn to use periods.

Tank is too small and it has no room to move around and explore. Also, you need to learn to use periods.

And u need to read more to know more,

1-this oct wont be on this tank forever i will take him back ones it gets bigger.

2-im not american if u dont like it just dont read my post or reply thank you.

Archived