Coral Vue Hydros

anyone have luck with blue ring oct?

rickysreef

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
What experience do you have that has you considering a blue-ringed octopus?

Yeah dude, these should only be kept at public aquariums(if that) and only handled by experts. One bite and you're dead.

please don't. there are lots of other awesome sea creatues and no matter how careful you are with the blue ring, you will probably make a mistake and pay for it.

I knew a guy who had one in Australia while doing his dissertation. Wasn't a good idea. It was very aggressive. He admits now that it was very stupid - he's a biologist, and he knew...

I used to work at a pet store that got one in once, we put it in a tank and it never came out during the day, and when it did it never flashed.

if you really want one, get one, but make sure you know how to keep octos first (you might want to start out with a mercratoris first to get you bearings), if after you have successfully kept one of those for a year and you still want a blue ring, get one, but make sure you take out a nice life insurance policy first.

you would also need to keep a phone by the tank with 911 on speed dial and a note stating what you have been bitten by and instructions for your care, so that the paramedics know who to do when they find you.

I would buy you one and have it express delivered to your door if you take out a policy with me as a sole beneficiary and you promise to hand feed the little buddy.

;)

While they're still dangerous, I think a lot of their hype is just speculation. Here's a post from ReefCentral from a person who has been working with them for 10+ years. He still recommends people not to buy them, however.

I think we need a visit from "Myth Busters" here. Those of you who know me understand that I have worked for over 10 years trying to keep people from buying and displaying blue-rings in their home aquaria. There is danger, particularly to a child, should a bite occur. On the other hand, the fear of these animals is getting way over blown. In all probability if you were to be bitten (which is very unlikely), you would not be dead in three minutes. In fact, you might not die at all. Our lab has shown that the amount of TTX contained in blue-rings is highly variable from individual to individual and probably from species to species. Some individuals have barely detectable amounts of TTX. Others certainly have enough to kill you. The problem is there is know way to tell without assaying for the toxin. If bitten, unless you were alone or did not know that you were envenomated, you would survive with prompt medical care as a few Australians do each year. In the medical literature, there are only four confirmed deaths known to be caused by blue-ring bites. (That does not include the deaths from the "seafood stew" in Vietnam a couple of years ago.)

Should blue-rings be kept in the home aquarium? No, in my opinion the risk of an accidental envenomation to an unsuspecting person, particularly a child, is too great.

Should they be sold in aquarium stores? No, there is too great a chance that someone will get an animal that they do not know is dangerous.

Are blue-rings endangered? Probably not, at least not the named species including H. lunulata, H. fasciatus and H. maculaosa. Some of the undescribed species seem to be rarer and perhaps deserve protection. However, if we don't know what is out there, it is difficult to know how to deal with it.

Will you die if you put your hand in a tank with a blue-ring? Probably not. There is probably a greater chance of being electrocuted by an electrical short. But why take the risk. We all have ground fault interrupters on our aquaria, don't we?

Roy

I don't see the problem with it. My jackalope can kill with a cute cuddling look and so far all he has done is help me out with the ex wives.

Sheesh guys!

I been in this hobby for about 13 years,i had 3 aquarium stores,and i have had 3 blue ring in my last store but not in a na nano they where on a bigger custon made tank have any of u guys had one on a 29 biocube?

I been in this hobby for about 13 years,i had 3 aquarium stores,and i have had 3 blue ring in my last store but not in a na nano they where on a bigger custon made tank have any of u guys had one on a 29 biocube?

They are relatively small, reaching only about 3.5in. from what I have read, but that doesn't mean you should keep one. While I think the risk of being poisoned is low, why would you risk it? Octopi are very interesting animals, but they are generally short-lived and hide during the day. There are plenty of "unique" substitutes for a species tank that are often just as beautiful and nearly as intelligent, such as peacock mantis shrimp. Not to mention all the special care they require, including an escape-proof lid, which is notoriously hard to do with these animals. If you're still interested, I would ask wetwebmedia, but I think they will advise against it, or PM andrewkw on here as I believe he has kept octopi. I doubt anyone on nanoreef has kept them and I'm not even totally sure of the legality of keeping one anyway. Good luck though!

BLoCkCliMbeR

:huh:

they are not that bad as u guys think u guyd know only 3 people have die in the last 10000000000000 years u know that most of then dont really have a strong venom..is very hard to get bit by a blue ring and if u do got bit all u need is artificial breathing and u will be fine...i have had then before the problen is how they been catch if they use the juice they dont last long.....

please look at this video

is very hard to get bit by a blue ring and if u do got bit all u need is artificial breathing and u will be fine..

your logic is infallible

i would put some type of screening or mesh over the overflow (i know its not an actual overflow) to prevent it from escaping to the back of the tank. you may also want to fassion a glass or acrylic top to cover the top of the display area. they are relatively weak so they should not be able to move it.

if you really want to know if it will be ok, go to www.tonmo.com and ask Roy Caldwell ( i think thats how you spell his last name), he has been working with them for a long time in a research capacity.

i would put some type of screening or mesh over the overflow (i know its not an actual overflow) to prevent it from escaping to the back of the tank. you may also want to fassion a glass or acrylic top to cover the top of the display area. they are relatively weak so they should not be able to move it.

if you really want to know if it will be ok, go to www.tonmo.com and ask Roy Caldwell ( i think thats how you spell his last name), he has been working with them for a long time in a research capacity.

thanks for the info

I contemplated a blue ring at one time, but after months of research bagged the idea. Not because I was afraid of getting bit. (I was more worried about the cat coming across it and getting bit), but the reason I decided against it was because if you want an "octo experience" blue rings are not gonna give you that. They are nocturnal and very shy. And usually by the time you get one they only have a few months to live. Plus they only flash blue when threatened, otherwise their the same color as any ol' octopus. If you really want to experience an octo, get a bimac. My 7 month old Inklet, is a bimac and is truly awesome. She gets up every morning with me and hangs out of her den all day to follow me around the kitchen. I see her from the time I get up in the AM to I go to bed in the PM. She has me trained quite well to give her a crab when she "asks" for one! I have tons of stories if yer interested!

Roxy

Archived