Top Shelf Aquatics

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

ae6c663a.jpg

Here is a pic of the acrylic frag rack I got on ebay for $9 shipped. It's actually pretty nice considering the price. I also place my order in to reef cleaners and got a cleaner pack. fingerscrossed

Nice frag rack. But those sps frag in that rack are nice!! Those look like Vivid frag plugs!.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are. I reuse all my plugs. I like to mount my frags myself, so when I get frags from them I usually have them cut them and leave them unmounted. They can get a little crazy with the glue and accelerator sometimes.

It's beautiful in person. But, it's actually the color of a yellow highlighter. I think it's the whole, yellow + blue (LEDs) = green thing. It's a big size frag of it too. Danged thing is already encrusting the super glue.

They are indeed. They've been growing out for a long time now. They were a 1/2" and 1-4" single stalks that broke off months ago when I was gluing the big frag into place. I figured I'd glue them to a plug and see what happens. They have been growing out nicely ever since. That big one is ridiculous. The other frag to the right is that ORA green birdsnest. It was a tiny little thing that broke off too. I'm going to sell my frags off real soon. Trying to save up for something.

That's awesome! The tiny little tip I broke on my birdsnest has really put out some growth as well. It's amazing what having proper water parameters can do for your tank!!!!! :)

I'm going to start selling some frags and stuff I don't want anymore to save up for a bigger tank. Also, going to go with T5/LED combo on the next one. The T5s just make everything pop more than the LEDs.

Hope your GHA is getting under control? Do you have a chaeto in there to absorb nutrients?

And yes to a T5/LED combo.

Hope your GHA is getting under control? Do you have a chaeto in there to absorb nutrients?

And yes to a T5/LED combo.

I have not! :amgry: I can't really run chaeto unless I run it chambers to the right and left of the center chamber that holds the media basket. I would then have to engineer something to keep it in those chambers instead of spilling over into the outside chambers and into the pump and then display. It's a PITA. I really wish I would have gotten a 40B with a real sump to grow macros and/or a reactor. For now, I'm keeping up with everything. I don't know what is going on. I feed way less. The skimmer is kicking butt. The only thing it can be is the CUC. I got my order from reef cleaners and threw them in on Friday. In the meantime, I scrubbed the rocks with a new cheapy toothbrush and got all the GHA I could see off. I also found a big growth of byprosis! FML. I then scraped off the back wall completely. Most of the coralline was killed off from a fuzzy wall. Things are pretty good now. I guess I just have to sit back and see if the CUC can keep everything in check. I would really like to start feeding the corals again to see better growth. They have been on light only for a bit now. /absolutefrustrateddirtman

surgicalsense

Morning and not sure if you have looked. I wanted to let you know, I was able to land a nice colony of dendra from SnT for $40. It is of the smaller variety, but a very nice size colony. I can not say they (SnT) do a awesome job of taking care of their SW corals and I do feel like I have been nursing this a little bit, but I have been dosing it with small amounts of snow and feast. It is being to show more life then when I first brought it home.

... so the search is over ;)

That's awesome! I won't even attempt to try those, although I really want them, until I get a tank with a sump or get this nutrient problem under control. I have considered dealing crack cocaine in the meantime to raise the funds for a new tank. It's a solid business plan. :bling::slap:

surgicalsense
That's awesome! I won't even attempt to try those, although I really want them, until I get a tank with a sump or get this nutrient problem under control. I have considered dealing crack cocaine in the meantime to raise the funds for a new tank. It's a solid business plan. :bling::slap:

:lol: crazy.

Since I have equal break down of meat chuck eaters and filter feeders, it is working itself out in there.

When I do decide to upgrade it will be no larger then a 60g smaller RSM model ;) I am not a baller with the larger systems. I think I am going to see if they need part time help at South West Reefing company B) ... it might be nice to have chic in the shop who reefs and working in the only full service SW shop in the Abq city! I think it would be fun.

I still need to purchase the weather stripping <_<

BTW, my new favorite coral right now is my ORA orange digitata. The color on this thing is getting better and better. I guess there are some things to be thankful for.

surgicalsense
BTW, my new favorite coral right now is my ORA orange digitata. The color on this thing is getting better and better. I guess there are some things to be thankful for.

Sweet and pretty. I just purchased a nano orange gorgonian for my last addition. I was doing my best to wait until after the move. But, I am more confident about moving this tank. Honest I do believe the only die off I will have will be on the LR, if that. I have a plan-man ;)

... and if your interested, I did post pic of the colony.

Very nice! I want a colony one day.

NEW FTS!!!

3e18584e.jpg

My utter choas's are redic!

9a767652.jpg

My orange digi!

6c1b242c.jpg

All these shots were taken with T5 supplementing the color. I want a hybrid fixture so bad now. :angry:

Looks great!!!! And....I dont see a single strand of algae in your FTS! It sounds like we have the same type of PITA algae. Mine came from my frogspawn I got at Vivid..BTW! It started growing on the frag plug it was attached to. I know it wasnt on my new rock cuz it was marco dry/dead rock. I'm still po'd about it.

Your rack is full of some sweet candies :happy:

Looks great!!!! And....I dont see a single strand of algae in your FTS! It sounds like we have the same type of PITA algae. Mine came from my frogspawn I got at Vivid..BTW! It started growing on the frag plug it was attached to. I know it wasnt on my new rock cuz it was marco dry/dead rock. I'm still po'd about it.

Your rack is full of some sweet candies :happy:

I scrubbed the rocks a couple of days ago with a toothbrush. I'm going to keep doing that along with keeping up with things I guess. I got the bryopsis from that ricordea I got from Vivid. :angry: All my little frags are ready for sale now. Going to put some stuff up on CL soon I guess.

Way nice! All those sps look happy!!!

Isn't that ORA birdsnest getting huge?!?! Look at the first FTS compared to this one. :wacko:

Looking good :)

:happydance:

I go in commando style with a brush and my naked arm. Bam! No more green hair. I got your PM. Will be responding soon.nmjkmjnhjl;oikp;'[

;lkjhkl;/.ljkhkl.,lkjhjmkjhyghjmkjhygthjmkjhgmjhgt

Sorry I was cleaning my keyboard. My new plan is to run macros behind my rock work and try to keep the nutrients down. I'll keep scrubbing and hopefully the macros eat up the nutrients and the nuisance crap dies a fiery death!!! :wizard:

Deckoz2302

Bryopsis tries.to.grow.in my sand bed....then I decided.to ramp all my leads up to full power for.two hours.everyday and burn the ####.outta.of it with a.squirt of freshly dissolved magnesium chloride/sulfate powder

Archived