ReefCleaners.org

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

buddythelion
Very hard to get a pic of these little guys. They are very very tiny. The Rasta is being shy right now.

67f8b9c0.jpg

Mmm... paradise zoas are sexy. Def one of my faves in my tank as well. <3

You should totally go for the shallow zoa idea! I know I'm considering it... LOL.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want more visible surface area. I wanted a 60 cube before, but I want to showcase for corals so I think a 4x2x2 120G or a 28x28x12 shallow is the way to go. We'll see.

Suggestions on a yellow or orange acro?

Oh and I also completely forgot, look at Tyree Verrucosas. They are a montipora that is branching. I just got a yellow one with purple polyps.

So, I have a plan. I am noticing that my tricolor is getting blue back in all the tips! This is awesome and definitely means I had an Alk problem. I have 2 problems that I think I can solve with one stone. I top off RO by hand every day, and it sucks. I have been testing and dosing Alk every 1 -2 days, and that sucks. I use about 500ml of RO a day and about 1dKH of Alk a week, roughly. For the 2 weeks, I want to test my Alk every 2 days exactly and dose. On the 7th day, I do my WC and test the big 3 and make adjustments. That should give me a very clear picture about my Alk consumption, at least for now. I would then add the 6 day dose to 3L of RO water and setup an ATO system. That should keep the Alk pretty rock solid and I can make adjustments to an entire batch as needed from week to week as things change. I don't see any issues with this plan, but I would like everyone's input on the matter. Thanks.

Oh, and on a side note, does zooplankton contribute to organic waste? I know phyto is basically plant matter and can cause problems if you dose too much. But I was under the impression that zoo is organisms. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

So are you thinking about starting kalkwasser? My params have been pretty rock solid since I started.

And yeah, zooplankton contributes, that's how I got in trouble from feeding so much before. :eek:

Bleh I just had the same issue with my Alk. Brightwell to the rescue! LMAO

I need an ATO though.... once I get the stand done I will invest in one. ;)

So are you thinking about starting kalkwasser? My params have been pretty rock solid since I started.

And yeah, zooplankton contributes, that's how I got in trouble from feeding so much before. :eek:

I still have a bunch of Seachem Reef Builder and Buffer that I would use. When I run out, I was going to entertain the thought of Kalk, but my tank isn't very big.

Bleh I just had the same issue with my Alk. Brightwell to the rescue! LMAO

I need an ATO though.... once I get the stand done I will invest in one. ;)

I'm torn between the JBJ ATO and the Tunze. Tunze is big bucks though.

JBJ has been good to me. :) but IMO the sensor is bulky and if I didn't have a sump I would not like it as much.

See it's reviews like this that makes me want the JBJ, I am going to probably get that one as funds are always restricted for this stuff by ME and the bills.

Joe let us know what you get and how you like it!

So apparently you're supposed to clean your skimmer and pump from time to time?!?! :puke: Geez that thing was gross. I was wondering why I was having GHA popping up unexplainably. I understand why now. That thing is working like new again. On a side note, I permanently affixed my new SPS. It's in the back, but I have other plans for the real estate to the front. Oh, and the whole fish family decided to show up for the pic. :D

f365acd5.jpg

I did put a little cheapy air valve on the end to control the flow. You can see it in the last photo. But the vacuum (no air hole) keeps it pretty slow to be honest. You could tie the tube in a loose knot to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks! In theory, it just has to be higher than the water level. That spot works for more. I just put it away when I'm done.

Thanks! In theory, it just has to be higher than the water level. That spot works for more. I just put it away when I'm done.

That's what I figured. I wondered if it was a permanent thing, always hanging there. I was thinking you must have a very forgiving wife :lol:

She's pretty unforgiving, but an Aquafina bottle sort of screams trailer dweller (and I would know from experience) and wouldn't fly around here. :lol:

Did you seen how big those little frags of Ponape have gotten?

She's pretty unforgiving, but an Aquafina bottle sort of screams trailer dweller (and I would know from experience) and wouldn't fly around here. :lol:

Did you seen how big those little frags of Ponape have gotten?

:lol:

I would have words with my husband if he did something permanent like that :lol:

I DID! They are awesome!!!! I still want to get one!!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I have room.

Archived