Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cheap 100W MH systems

mimie

Hie all,

I have been disgusted with the price of lighting in our hobby. So, I went hunting on the net and found this:

Sun System IV Micro-Mini Systems

for $129.95 w/bulb

Laters,

M

I followe up on this product after Mimie mentioned it, and the only choice in bulb is a 6500K. Unfortunately, my experience with MH is rather limited. This will require additional actinic lighting for most corals and anemones, will it not?

Finding 100W replacement bulbs in a better color are difficult, too, I've noticed.

Matthew

i agree with Matt, its hard to find a 100W replacement bulb, try some 70W or 175W systems..look into the recyclers..soemtimes people sels them pretty cheap...but you have to look around...

i have read something about High resure sodium ballasts will fire up MH bulbs...you can look further into that..as you can get the HpS ballast very cheap at home depot and just spend the rest of the money gettting a NICE MH bulb..10,000K or even 12,000K...

Hie all,

I got this from the QA of WetWebMedia:

"First, most white-appearing lamps for reef aquariums have a lot of blue white in them, many the same as full actinic lamps. It is just that they have a lot of other color spectrums too which gives them an overall appearance of white light. Take the example of the 6,500 K Iwasaki MH lamps. No one is going to say they appear blue, more likely yellow/green, but they have a substantial amount of blue spectrum light and are quite capable of growing thriving corals without any supplemental lighting, although the appearance and fluorescence of the corals will not be the same. Secondly, most aquaria are so shallow you are not going to get a lot of blocking out of the other color spectrums. I think it is at 10 or 20 meters that all of the other spectrums have been completely blocked out. That is a lot deeper than any aquarium I have ever seen" - Steven Pro

The problem with 6500K bulbs is they're the perfect spectrum for growing plants. And in your tank, that means an algae party.

Especially the case with the bulbs included with a hydroponics lamp, I would bet.

Matthew

Archived