inTank Media Baskets

100g Macro Setup

NinjaBum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its looking great, Im not sure if I missed it but what macros do you have in there atm?

Thanks :) Just what is in the OP at the moment. I just updated it last night.

Have some new additions.

Firefish

Coral Banded Shrimp

Cup Coral

All seem happy in there despite the cloudy water from the current green algal bloom. Well all except the coral banded shrimp which I haven't seen since I added him, but my cleaner shrimp disappeared the first couple of days as well because he molted the first night so I'm guessing that's what is happening.

P1020025.jpg

P1020026.jpg

P1020027.jpg

P1020028.jpg

P1020031.jpg

P1020032.jpg

P1020033.jpg

Oxynoe Sea Slugs. These little guys aren't so little anymore. The largest one is a half inch long now. You can see what they are doing to the C. Asheadii in there. I wish they would target a different species than that. It's my favorite caulerpa in there. I don't have the heart to get them out though, they are too cool.

P1020034.jpg

P1020035.jpg

And the damage-

P1020037.jpg

Showing how much the C. Ashmeadii has grown. Some of the fronds are 10" long at least.

P1020054.jpg

P1020055.jpg

Looked like this almost 4 weeks ago. Not bad = )

P1010877.jpg

I'd have thicker forests, but some oxynoe slugs were munching on them. Eventually they got to the size where they were doing a lot of damage and although it made me sad to get rid of such cool hitchhikers, I got rid of them

Water is still cloudy. I put some Seachem Clarity in and it seems to be helping. I also have a UV sterilizer getting here tomorrow to try to control this plankton.

I hooked up the UV sterilizer yesterday. The water clarity is vastly better. One more day and it will be crystal clear. I can now see the hair algae I need to yank from some macros.

Finally almost clear water :happy:

P1020063.jpg

Ulva growing all over my magfloat. It's like that on every large surface in the tank, including the back wall.

P1020064.jpg

P1020065.jpg

P1020066.jpg

P1020070.jpg

Apparently I suck at taking photos or my camera is just extremely old

I picked up a Bluehead Wrasse today at the LFS. I was looking to get a wrasse and this guy looked really stressed since they had him in an open tank with a large gravel bottom so I brought him home. Only concern is if I'll be able to add a butterfly later once he is established. I think to avoid bullying I'd need to get my last fish within a few days.

He's pretty happy. Swimming around everywhere chowin down on pods.

P1020099.jpg

P1020098.jpg

P1020082.jpg

Not much has changed. Having to start fighting with hair algae growing on my botryocladia which is annoying to say the least. Some of the Caulerpa Mexicana has died off a little in certain places. I think perhaps I need to be more diligent in pruning it .

The Ulva that has colonized the top of the glass has grown the fastest. Looks pretty cool.

P1020118.jpg

P1020120.jpg

Ulva growth on my mag-float. Not sure how big it will get before using the magfloat will cause it to float off. I've contemplated getting a new mag and leaving this one as a stationary Ulva growing platform

P1020130.jpg

You can see on that stalk of Red Grape in the foreground the hair algae is taking it over. I don't really know what to do short of pulling it out and taking a soft tooth brush to brush it off. Would the Red grap recover from having all of it's bladders knocked off in the process?

P1020128.jpg

Taking care of other things right now so I haven't the free cash to get more. I would like to have some Euphyllia and I'm still on the lookout for the banana-shaped Grape Caulerpa and Halymenia.

• 2 weeks later...

Current FTS-

P1020146.jpg

P1020149.jpg

Under the evening lights. A little more purple than daytime.

Still having some issues with hair algae on the red grape, but a lot of it has turned white and died lately. An unfortunate side effect of lowering nutrients to diminish hair was my large forest of Ashmeadii started going sexual on me. = /

Cyano is gone though so hooray for that!

I have some dictoya coming in tomorrow to add some more contrast and I think I'm going to buy some of these plain brown/yellow polyps covering a rock at the LFS since there is a ton of green and red but not much else. Looking to find some Blue Star Polyps, Halymenia, and anything else to add seom more splashes of color/movement.

Thanks. The Ochtodes is starting to grow out finally after stuttering for a while. I have new Halimeda plants sprouting from random parts of the sandbed as well as tiny botryocladia starting to grow on rocks. I have a few more random macros sprouting as well, but I can't tell what they are yet.

I love the Ulva wall! Get strong flow across the back wall and dose iron and it will grow super fast. I have a nice clump of Ulva attached to my MP10 that's over a year old and still growing nicely.

I love the Ulva wall! Get strong flow across the back wall and dose iron and it will grow super fast. I have a nice clump of Ulva attached to my MP10 that's over a year old and still growing nicely.

Yeah, my powerheads have big clumps and it's growing along the floor of the rocks as well. Sadly, the wall when it reaches a certain size, it gets knocked off by current, but the parts on the powerheads are anchored tight.

Right now I dose Seachem Iron&Manganese once a week, coralvite, and sometimes calcium aside from the usual PO4 and NO3.

P1020151.jpg

P1020152.jpg

I like it a lot. Wish I had a pistol shrimp for him. I'm going a different direction because my wrasse died of a bacterial infection causing popeye and blindness a week ago = (

I may add a small blenny if it's safe with macros and plan on getting one or two pairs of clown gobies and a clownfish pair at the end. /stocking.

i thought about the same thing...getting a pistol shrimp for my YWG hoping it will keep him company..but so far i dont think they have found each other yet. its been quite a while since i added the shrimp in.

Cleanerd the wall-o-ulva. It was just accumulating too much detritus and started looking unattractive. Here's the result. I wish I had a better camera XD-

P1020174.jpg

P1020177.jpg

P1020171.jpg

Rainford's Goby-

P1020179.jpg

P1020180.jpg

Is that a Midas Blenny? Very nice!

But boo on removing the Ulva. Sad to see that go unless you plan on a wall of Xenia! :D

Little yellow clown goby.

Yeah, I had to thought, it was turning into a wall of hair-on-ulva. I still have Ulva plastering my rocks and my powerheads so it's all good hehe.

Thanks Tektite = )

I ordered some of this and some dragons breath-

$(KGrHqN,!lUE6CCpYOwJBOrcgudlv!~~60_12.JPG

Don't really know what it is, never seen it before.

This hair is really bugging me. I have to take out my gracillaria and botryocladia once a week and brush it with a tooth brush or it turns into hairy sticks. I'm going to hold off on dosing PO4 for a week and see if that helps.

Archived