Cultivated Reef

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

Mr. Microscope

Good update! Love all the macros. That toadstool is killer!

How long have you had the chromis in there? How big are they now?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lost my first trio of Chromis to a runaway heater over the winter (no Apex at the time). They were in a holding tank while I set this one up, and had planned on moving them the week after the disaster. This new trio has been in the tank a couple of weeks, and the largest is about 2" nose to tail - about the size of the original three. These three were obviously tank bred as they swim around my hand when I'm working in the tank - only if I'm moving things around do they take cover.

I added a 6" x 6" square of Maiden's Hair (Chlorodesmis sp.) from LiveAquaria two days ago, and found that my peak pH rose from 8.24 to 8.55 during the late afternoon. I checked the calibration on the probe to verify the reading. This plant produces the most O2, by far, that I've ever had. I'll get a photo of it tonight.

Here is a shot of the Maiden's Hair I got from Drs. Foster & Smith...

2013-05-17%2016-45-29.505.jpg

Chlorodesmis sp. (Maiden's Hair)

And here is a shot of the Kenya Tree I found as a hitchhiker on a small piece of live rock.

2013-05-17%2016-46-08.470.jpg

Kenya Tree (Hitchhiker)

Wow, very inspirational setup! Lovin it all. I just started my display fuge not to long ago and cant wait till everything grows in and has feel of your tank. You have lots of exotic looking algaes in there ive never seen. Where you finding those beauts

A few are from some of the great folks here at Nano Reef, but the bulk are from Louis at LAReefs and Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They're always kind enough to send me premium samples, and I can't say enough about the quality of their plants.

For some reason Russ's sargassum always melts on me, any tricks to keeping it alive?

I've always had the best luck with Sargassum when it is out of direct lighting with plenty of flow. Under direct lighting it always seems to break off and float.

I've always had the best luck with Sargassum when it is out of direct lighting with plenty of flow. Under direct lighting it always seems to break off and float.

That's interesting though, because natural sargassum is found floating at the top of watersa nd are home to sargassum anglers and pods aplenty. I would think floating on the surface of the water gets them direct sunlight at high PAR values and of course turbulent waters.

Yes, but I believe the plants detach (perhaps naturally) under strong light. It could also have to do with plant size, causing them to break off under the pressure of the flow.

GR, so this is my red dictyota which of course doesn't ever die. See how there are 2 colorations to it in this picture? Could one bit of it be sporing and the other not? What could this be?

IMG_7145.JPG

That is what is really Red Titan (most people misidentify Gracilaria hayi as Red Titan). The 'whitening' actually looks like calcification or coraline growth. I've not seen Red Titan sporulate like Halimeda (turn white and release gametes). Is that on a powerhead or growing on your back wall?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no red dictyota. Dictyota sp. are a brown algae with some sp. having iridescence, thus some color under various lighting. Red Titan is a common name for many semi calcareous red algae. Yours is what I know as Red Titan - a somewhat invasive species with multiple holdfasts that tables like common dictyota.

In any case, the whiteness looks like calcium deposits.

oldSWseamomma

I have a question on macroalgae and hope this is the correct forum :rolleyes: I am thinking of going with all macroalgae for my display tank instead of corals. I have an RSM130D with 60+ lbs of gorgeous Fuji LR that has really pretty coraline algae on it. I did put in a couple of beginner corals, pulsing xenia and a small green star polyp. My question is I have a huge mexican turbo snail, 4 scarlett hermits, 2 regular hermits, a huge amount of little white hitchhiker snails, 4 limpet snails (also hitchhikers) - would any of these eat any that I would put in my tank? I just love the gorgeous colors of some of the refugium tanks and DT that have used these algae plants. Thanks ! :)

The mexican turbo will cause nothing but misery, so I would say remove that one. The hermits and limpets are fine. Keep the number of Dwarf Ceriths to a minimum as they will start eating the display algae eventually. Good luck with the tank!

oldSWseamomma

The mexican turbo will cause nothing but misery, so I would say remove that one. The hermits and limpets are fine. Keep the number of Dwarf Ceriths to a minimum as they will start eating the display algae eventually. Good luck with the tank!

Thanks for the great advice ! Yours and Kat's collection are just gorgeous :0)

• 2 weeks later...
oldSWseamomma

Well I ordered a couple of macro's along with a better CUC from John and just to see what the turbo would do. Not that I doubted your advice - just wanted to see what he would do. Yep, he hoovered them up in 2-days. So until I find another home for "Bubba" I will not be putting any pretty macros in my tank. Thanks for the advice and lesson learned. :happy:

GR, what about a mexican turbo would cause misery? I just ordered 2! :o

Edit: oh he eats macros? hmm

I hope he eats the dictoyota. fingerscrossed

He went to town on some real nice Gracilaria, ate some algae I hadn't had a chance to ID and never touched the hair algae I got him for. He's now doing time in my rock curing tank. He was a Mexican turbo from foster & smith.

I've read they are hit or miss. I think most of the 'cleared all my GHA in one day' stories are grossly exaggerated.

I've read they are hit or miss. I think most of the 'cleared all my GHA in one day' stories are grossly exaggerated.

This isn't too much of an exageration for sea hares! But.... they'll also eat anything else that's green haha ;)

Archived