inTank Media Baskets

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

I don't think they can tell what season it is if you keep your temperature constant as well as light and nutrients. It's almost as if they trade off having growth spurts. When one is in growth mode maybe it is dominating most of the nutrients while the others don't absorb as much. My reds didn't start growing too quickly until after some of my caulerpa died off from going sexual.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macro algae are like any form of life... they will compete with each other for resources and with all the varieties you have in there, that's probably what's happening. Some will fade while others will begin to dominate. As ninja pointed out, I don't think macros can sense what season it is if you keep the lighting exposure, temperature and nutrient levels constant.

Thanks for the thoughts on this Ninja and Resonance. It certainly is possible I'm reading too much into it.

I'm thinking that it could simply be the size of some of the plants blocking the light from reaching the base. Some of the plants have grown 3 fold since I got them, and only a couple of them have faded from the bottom up. I supposed I should prune or frag them more often. Oh well, clipping and moving algae around keeps me out of trouble! :D

Yeah, I had to do that to some red grape. I didn't want to clip such a massive bunch of it, but it was good that I did. Plus now I have a ton of new plants around the tank as a bonus from placing the clippings elsewhere.

I have started to get in the habit of doing that to caulerpa.

Hey, it's Jess from HPC. I finally got around to looking at your thread and... WOW. lol

It's absolutely GORGEOUS! I LOVE all the species you've worked together in 12 gallons. The colors and placement just work so well. It's definitely one of the BEST macro tanks I've seen. Love it!

Btw, how's the spaghetti worms working out for ya? ;)

Oh wow! This is a fine looking macro tank. Makes me miss my old macro mantis sump. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! :)

Wow! Making a macro tank is on my list now.

Thank you! :)

Hey, it's Jess from HPC. I finally got around to looking at your thread and... WOW. lol

It's absolutely GORGEOUS! I LOVE all the species you've worked together in 12 gallons. The colors and placement just work so well. It's definitely one of the BEST macro tanks I've seen. Love it!

Btw, how's the spaghetti worms working out for ya? ;)

Hi Jess! The worms are all fat and happy.

Give me a yell if you start yours up soon. :D

Still love your tank! Is this yellow halymenia from reefcleaners?

Lol, well it's dead Halymenia. Light shock yours or leave it in the dark for a while and you can have the same effect = p

Yeah, this was a really bad order from Reef Cleaners - pretty much everything died within a few days. This one was supposed to have been Scinaia Complanta but was sent this spieces of Halymenia instead. I never did figure out what it was really as it was a really thick sheet about 8" in diameter. Most likely it was nearly dead before it was shipped, but the entire order was pretty bad. John covered most of the cost of the order which was nice of him.

I love this tank. It's inspired me to do my planted NPS tank! Really amazing grmoore!

:)

Thanks! :)

Poor MP10. :happy:

Hehe. I't looks happy to me! There's at least 6 species of algae attached to it now, not counting the coralline. :D

How's your Eucheuma doing? I just got some yellow variety from them and I seem to remember reading the yellow just grew in higher light environment so I rubber banded it to a mount right at the surface. It's getting nailed by some pretty high light. 8x54w T5's to be exact = p Hope it does well cause it's very pretty.

How's your Eucheuma doing? I just got some yellow variety from them and I seem to remember reading the yellow just grew in higher light environment so I rubber banded it to a mount right at the surface. It's getting nailed by some pretty high light. 8x54w T5's to be exact = p Hope it does well cause it's very pretty.

The 4" frag I got from GCE didn't make it. I didn't know at the time that it needed to be blasted with light, so I really had it mounted in the wrong spot. I'm hoping to get another yellow variation to try again. I really need to add more lighting to the back wall of the tank - maybe one of the new TrueLumen PadLites.

I received an order from Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems today, and as usual, way more than I expected! They managed to get some nice specimens of yellow Eucheuma so I figured I better get an order in now before winter sets in. Here is a shot of the right third of the tank with temporary placement. I'll fix up the rest of the tank tomorrow and get some more shots. Click on the image to see the HD version of it.

2011-11-10%2019-47-57.971.jpg

I also picked up a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp from the LFS last week (thanks Jess!) and he's made himself right at home, setting up shop in the front of the tank. The Chromis stop by several times a day for a check up. He seems to like flake food, and happily gobbles it up when fed by hand or swimming upside down at the water surface. Again, click on the images to see the HD versions.

2011-11-10%2019-53-19.908.jpg

2011-11-10%2019-53-34.238.jpg

I found this little guy roaming around the other day - it's a baby Green Sea Slug, Elysiella pusilla. The HD version is available by clicking.

2011-11-06%2018-49-58.223.jpg

Here's the latest full tank shot as well as some closer shots of each third of the tank. Click on the images to see the HD versions of them.

2011-11-11%2016-23-13.549.jpg

2011-11-11%2016-20-44.048.jpg

2011-11-11%2016-21-03.923.jpg

2011-11-11%2016-21-19.947.jpg

Calvin said Euchema will turn red or orange. Is that preventable with lighting ?

From what I've been told by collectors, yes. This is my first real attempt at a full plant (have 2 of them in this tank), so it remains to be seen. I had a small branch previously, but it didn't last long. I actually think my lighting was too intense for it, so I've shaded these somewhat with halymenia.

From what I've been told by collectors, yes. This is my first real attempt at a full plant (have 2 of them in this tank), so it remains to be seen. I had a small branch previously, but it didn't last long. I actually think my lighting was too intense for it, so I've shaded these somewhat with halymenia.

I have mine about 3 inches from the surface under 8x54watt T5's and it seems to be slowly turning red. I would say it's difficult to keep yellow.

Archived