inTank Media Baskets

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

Don Quixote

Here's an algae I've not been able to ID. I noticed it sprouting a couple weeks ago, but now it has actually started to take shape. It's a very delicate and hair thin green branching algae that is growing between 1/4 and 1/2 inch a day. If anyone might know what it is, please do let me know. It appears to be thriving and has grown off a branch of Flame Algae.

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

Here's another algae I've not been able to ID - at least I think it's an algae. This was in a bag of Halymenia that had basically melted. I don't know if it was simply picked up by accident and put in the bag, or if it is actually a runner from the algae that was in the bag. If anyone might know what it is, please do let me know. It appears to be growing, as the stems remain green. I have it laced along some rockwork as I didn't want to bury any of it in the substrate without knowing if that was the right thing to do.

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

A close up view of one of the fronds.. just behind the Zoa frag

IMG_3633.JPG

Here's a good one of the green shoots coming off it. This is before threading it through some rockwork to keep it secure.

IMG_3635.JPG

This algae appears to me to be Bryothamnion.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21

Whats up Gmoore, hows the tank growing? I miss my macro tank and cant wait to set it up again. Have any new pics to share?

• 2 months later...
ll_maynard_ll

Any new photo updates of your tank? I gotta say yours inspired me to try something similar and everything in your thread has helped me out in making it successful.

Actually, I've not done much with macros in about 9 months, other than experimenting with various LED lights on growth. I broke down the 12g long quite some time ago and have been piddling with softies and LPS a bit. I've had that urge to do another algae tank.

• 1 month later...

Did you get rid of all your macros GR? Im going to try and start mine back up. I have to start from scratch, sold off all my macros :(

Yeah, all but a couple. I've been dabbling in corals the last half of the year, but will probably set up another macro tank in the spring when collection picks up again.

Archived