Top Shelf Aquatics

How To - Aquastyle DIY LED - Coral Photos Added

Trogdor447

Colors really seem to pop in the pic since I know its hard to take a proper pic with LEDS. Im torn between trying this out or a 4 bulb T5 ... Is there any way you can take a FTS with mainly the blues on

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome news Trog! Now to decide on if I wanna get the 24 kit for my 20L or just get the 36 kit. I plan to get a 40 br project started in the future. Just dunno if I wanna do these now, and build a cree led fixture over time or just get light enough for the 40 now. Leaning towards the 24 now and build a cree over time. Then id have 2 in the end. Could make a frag tank. What do you think Trog?

Colors really seem to pop in the pic since I know its hard to take a proper pic with LEDS. Im torn between trying this out or a 4 bulb T5 ... Is there any way you can take a FTS with mainly the blues on

Sure I can, its going to have to wait - We're headed out camping in a few minutes - Its going to be difficult the first FTS with blues was a disaster and on my camera phone. :) I'll get a good one - it is so difficult to get settings right - a small tank not so hard - a 40b when you are getting a pretty wide area shot - there is no way you can get it done on default settings!

The colors pop like crazy under these LED's, a 4 bulb T5 is going to cost the same amount of money - if you buy a cheap one - and then you have to replace all the bulbs with good ones for them to be worth a hoot!

Sure I can, its going to have to wait - We're headed out camping in a few minutes - Its going to be difficult the first FTS with blues was a disaster and on my camera phone. :) I'll get a good one - it is so difficult to get settings right - a small tank not so hard - a 40b when you are getting a pretty wide area shot - there is no way you can get it done on default settings!

The colors pop like crazy under these LED's, a 4 bulb T5 is going to cost the same amount of money - if you buy a cheap one - and then you have to replace all the bulbs with good ones for them to be worth a hoot!

Yeah the cost is about the same with T5's but even the full power blue looks promising but im curious how it would look at about 50 - 80% blue no white. Would u say that 4 LEDS would make a difference cuz they have a 20 LED for $75 and the 24 LED is $99 so its $25 cheaper to get 4 less LEDS but im not sure why. I have a 30'' long tank

Builder Anthony

The green leather frags real easy just use some sharp sissors and make it retract before cutting it by rubbing it with the smooth side of a airhose.I have the same one and it doesnt even muck the water up after a cut if its retracted while cutting.It should heal within a week with the cut totaly closed up.

Which kit for a 20L ?

You could probably use the 24 LED kit. Since the 20L isnt very deep, that should be all you need. Even if you are planning on having SPS the 24 should be good enough.

If you are worried about needing more light, just get the 36 LED w/heatsink (its only $27 more). There are 2 good reasons to go with the 36 Kit.

1. You get more LED's, you could make a 30 LED kit and have 6 LED's left for spares.

2. Also, you can dim the lights to get them to fit your needs.

Do you have any pictures of how your wired your project box?

Also, is anybody else unnerved that a three prong plug is wired with two wires?

Do you have any pictures of how your wired your project box?

Also, is anybody else unnerved that a three prong plug is wired with two wires?

Not at all - that is nothing to be worried about - its a multi use dimmer - some things require it all - this no

the project box is not complete yet. .things have been crazy - but just drill a hole in the side - no additional wiring required! :) just place the dimmer in there

Not at all - that is nothing to be worried about - its a multi use dimmer - some things require it all - this no

the project box is not complete yet. .things have been crazy - but just drill a hole in the side - no additional wiring required! :) just place the dimmer in there

I am thinking about putting my pots and drivers in mine. Thoughts? Will it get too hot?

Ridiculous! So the package arrived at my local post office today. They attempted to deliver it and it has a signature required delivery confirmation. I hate that crap! Most people are working during the day. How do they expect you to be home to sign? I scheduled a pickup at the post office tomorrow. Ridiculous! I wish I could get a permanent waiver for that.

I am thinking about putting my pots and drivers in mine. Thoughts? Will it get too hot?

I don't think the drivers in the project box would be a good idea in an enclosed space... Just to be on the safe side

I don't think the drivers in the project box would be a good idea in an enclosed space... Just to be on the safe side

Yea drivers in a project box not good - just the dimmers is all I'm having going in the project boxes - the small project box maybe 4" long.. - Now I have not done this yet - When I move I'm possibly going to make a wall plate and run it in the wall :)

So hows the corals looking under them Trog?

+1 ? Im hoping to get mine in sometime next week and will put of pics if all goes well. Going to do a 4 X 6 linear pattern with the White and Blue alternating what do u guys think? I like an even spread of light

Nice man yours turned out good - you happy with the colors?

Thanks man! Yeah the color is pretty awesome. I did 6 white and 6 blue.

You were right... these things are bright as all get out!! I blinded myself when I tested them up all the way. I think I can still see spots from 3 hours ago!

Thanks man! Yeah the color is pretty awesome. I did 8 white and 8 blue.

You were right... these things are bright as all get out!! I blinded myself when I tested them up all the way. I think I can still see spots from 3 hours ago!

... first time i turned mine on was all 40 upside down in my face... problem with the dimmer - you don't know if it is full on or full off until you know how you wired it haha.. and i gambled and lost.. it was full bright in my face

So I haven't done this type of wiring before and I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I mess it up...To wire +- +- , I wire a blue led + to another blue led -? Or just + - down the row (horizontally) and then go down to the next row ? Also the tip of 2 of my LED's melted a bit n I have extras but would they still work decent with the optics over it? Excuse the noob questions lol

So I haven't done this type of wiring before and I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I mess it up...To wire +- +- , I wire a blue led + to another blue led -? Or just + - down the row (horizontally) and then go down to the next row ? Also the tip of 2 of my LED's melted a bit n I have extras but would they still work decent with the optics over it? Excuse the noob questions lol

haha NO excuses.. yes..

Dimmer --->+ LED -<---->+ LED -<---->+ LED -<---- Dimmer

if that makes sense the ---> is your wire(s). its a simple circuit if you want I can pop a few optics off and get a full on photo - but I think the one shows a pretty good example.. The close up of the LED shows the + and - on the LED itself.. the next one shows how it comes in and out

Yeah I can kind of tell in the pic it looks like 2 wires coming off each LED so for exam[ple lets say Im starting with a blue LED I would solder on the + going to the - on the same LED? Or the 1st blue LED + going to the - on the next blue LED etc..? You dont have to pop the optics off I can understand w/ out a pic lol unless you already got them off haha. How about the 2 I melted a bit should I try to use those? Thanks for the help

Yeah I can kind of tell in the pic it looks like 2 wires coming off each LED so for exam[ple lets say Im starting with a blue LED I would solder on the + going to the - on the same LED? Or the 1st blue LED + going to the - on the next blue LED etc..? You dont have to pop the optics off I can understand w/ out a pic lol unless you already got them off haha. How about the 2 I melted a bit should I try to use those? Thanks for the help

100MEDIAIMAG0143.jpg

There is simple enough - depends on how bad you melted them LOL I don't see a problem with it but a photo would make it easier - doesn't take long to get solder going

Archived