Coral Vue Hydros

--10 Gallon Black Sand Reef-Tank--

Acoustic

I am going to Atlanta on a business trip so I thought I would post some pictures before I leave. You never know what will happen when you go away and leave it in the hands of others. Fortunately for me my Fiance is going for her masters in Biology at UCSD. If she can't swing it I will lose all hope for the world.

AnthonyNguyen

dood, awesome man, i like your tank, is that a colt finger in the middle? they like a lots of flow man, the more flow it is, the better they are, i wish u could see mine, its huge man, and i love your hairy Mushroom, really nice color, and black sand? its really contract it out ...really nice tank man, i like it. keep up the great work!

Your plate looks AMAZING on that black sand! Is the black sand hard to keep clean? I have heard that any detritus makes it look bad.

Looking great !

I finally got my black sand 7g bowfront going. What do you do about all of the snail poop? I only have 4 astreas, but they are turning my black sand white with poop.

For the vacuum do you cover the bottom part with something so sand doesnt get sucked in? I'm constantly having that problem, its just not quite heavy enough like crushed coral.

Sweet tank Koos!

I love the contrast of the yellow plate on the black background!

It looks like you have just a hint of hair algae on the sand, I wonder if the dark color deceases the growth (less reflected light)?

I have tons less algae in this tank than my last white sand tank. That doesn't mean that's the reason but it could be a contributor.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! That's beautiful!! Did you use tahitan moon sand? I've been told it doesn't buffer pH, so you have to buffer it yourself. What's your pH at and do you add anything to buffer it? Thanks! Again, it is simply beautiful

Thank you AquaFilly...........It is actually black calcite. I have not noticed any more difficulties with this sand compared to my last as far as buffering capabilities. My Ph fluxuates from 8.4 to 8.1 depending on what day of the week it is......Sunday it's 8.4 because I add my weekly dose of Kent's Superbuffer.....then as the week goes on it dwindles down to 8.1

Archived