Pod Your Reef

2.5 dwarf seahorse tank

twiggyb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting some diatoms I believe. I threw in some macro about a week ago when there was still some ammonia in the tank. I'm seeing if the lights are strong enough for them. I don't think some of them are going to make it, but we'll see. Here's some pics. I don't know if I like the placement, but I don't know if I will have a choice once everything starts growing :lol:

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

Red Gracilaria and flame algae. I got them off reefcleaners.org. I think they need stronger lighting however, or maybe it was just too soon to add them. We'll see if they make it or not. The fern caulerpa however is thriving and growing taller each day it seems.

Red Gracilaria and flame algae. I got them off reefcleaners.org. I think they need stronger lighting however, or maybe it was just too soon to add them. We'll see if they make it or not. The fern caulerpa however is thriving and growing taller each day it seems.

I do not think the identification is quite correct. Both Gracilaria verrucosus and Bryothamnion sp. are bushy and only one of the red algae in your tank is also bushy.

The plant with the small red leaves is what I am trying to identify. I have it in my tank as well. I also have the fern caulerpa and it is growing quickly. I keep it in the sand to control it better. That cactus caulerpa is also a nice sample.

Keep up the good work!

Nice set up looks great , just make sure the holes on the intake aren't to big or else your seahorses/frys will get pulled in. i had 5 gallon hex dwarf seahorse tank and i wrapped the filter intake with mesh then covered it a sponge.. even though i did that, every week when i would check the back of filter i would always find one or two seahorse fry in there...

also after my seahorses had babys the fry would eat live and dead brine shrimp after there parents died .i was able to hatch brine and then freeze it right away and was able to use it thought out the week, never had to hatch brine every other day like before .

do you think that light is capable of growing some sps or frogspawn in a 2.5 gal?

or will it even grow zoas?

I have that same light, and I'm told it won't grow SPS, and I have to agree. I purchased an Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 50/50 and Royal Blue Stunner strip. The difference is significant. I'm also making my own lighting enclosure. More info:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280360

And

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280868

I have two ecoxotic panorama fixtures over my 65 as well as 4 blue stunner strips. I saw the RGB pro module that looked pretty cool. I might try that when I get the extra cash. It'd be nice to switch colors up. I'm definitely gonna get them for my 12g as I'm converting that tank into an nps tank. That way I can just use the red lighting and put on different lighting for viewing/photographing. Amazing technology LEDs. At least for small tanks.

the single most important part of any seahorse thread is a vid showing them eating what the tank designer intends on feeding...have you started feeding them yet man!?

^I'm pretty sure he doesnt have any seahorses yet.

I've been reading up on dwarf seahorses however and can do a little tank of them without the space issues, now I just gotta practice my brine shrimp hatching/de-capping skills and I should be good to go. I've started this project already, but won't put in any seahorses until I'm confident I can maintain their food source for a while, but in the mean time I'll setup their home and let the pod population grow and get the minor tweaks I will need to make to make it work.

I am excited to see that video when you do get them though. Good luck on the adventure!

and -1 for not reading the thread ;). I think my orange spot filefish was harder to feed than these will be, however these will need constant live food which isn't hard, just time consuming. You have to be committed to it if you are going to try it. I'll see if I can take longer videos then a few seconds with my camera whenever I get them. I'm hoping to maybe get a macro lens for Christmas so I can get better detailed pics of these tiny creatures. Thanks for all the feedback and following along everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

It's just sitting waiting. Got the new light on it, also got some nasty algae growing on the sand bed, I'll have to go in and clean that up. The feather caulerpa is spreading its root along the glass in the back and the front end. I'll take some pics when its not so ugly lol. I've noticed that in the back chambers the water is oily on the surface. Not sure how to get rid of this. Should I make the holes bigger where the water enters the back?

Builder Anthony

Even though your tank may not look the greatest you should still post a picture.It makes understanding things alot better and can be looked back on to see how things turned out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, havent checked this site in a while. I've put this project on hold as I've been busy helping out my dad since his open heart surgery. Don't have spare time to focus on the food source and I am trying to keep up with regular maintenance on my 65g and 12g. Hopefully I can continue this tank in the future sometime as I really like these tiny seahorses.

Archived